Choice of fertilzer

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
We may try a garden again this year, if we can make time. But I was wondering which of the follow three types of fertilzer you prefer to use or does it matter. I have pleanty of the three following:

1. Chicken manure with pine dust

2. Horse manure with small pine chips

3. Cow manure with straw or hay

Is one better than the other? Sorry this is a serious question and I do have plenty of all three... the joys of by products!

Thanks,
Alan

Be careful with the chicken manure. It has a higher nitrogen content and will burn easier than the other two. I usually use cow manure as the corrals are right here. The folks use horse manure.

Actually none of them are real good fertilizers for what you are trying to achieve. They are all good for putting organic matter into your soil but that's really about it. MSSCAMP's comment is spot on...be careful with chicken litter. Before you do anything...get a good soil sample....almost all vegetables like soil between 6.0 - 6.5ph. Corn and tomatoes will require side dressing of Nitrogen during the growing season....sooo 13-13-13 is a good general fertilizer....cheers, Bill

I'll probably use horse stuff this year, I got a purty good amount of it laying around and close.. What time of year is best to mix it in or do you do it just before you plant?

i like to use rabbit droppings and little chicken manure for my mixture.i try to keep the cow manure out if its been close to the hay rings because of the seeds.dont want them in the garden.

if you put the chicken manure in a 50 gallon barrel mixed with water, you can apply it in a liquid/slush form. Very hot unless diluted. But works well.

Give your choices I would prefer:
1. The chicken manure if you can till it in a couple of week before you plant
2. The horse manure if your soil is low in organic matter
3. The cow manure with straw. If the manure has lots of hay you will get lots of weeds. It might only be grass but grass is a weed in the garden.
Dave

Pine sawdust and pine shavings will lower the pH of the soil. That's why azaleas mulched in pinestraw and pine bark do well: they're acid soil loving plants.

nenmrancher":2wyotlvn said:
Good composted sheep manure is the best.

If I remember right, this is supposed to be the best for your vegetable gardens as something with the way seed heads go through these animals they don't propogate.... = less weed pulling.

Donkey poop. I had okra stalks that looked like trees last year.

chiefgriz":1a74w0w5 said:
if you put the chicken manure in a 50 gallon barrel mixed with water, you can apply it in a liquid/slush form. Very hot unless diluted. But works well.

I have been thinking about doing this very thing. Any idea on how to mix. I have two small pastures I keep the horses in and was thinking about trying it on one while they are in the other.

J. T.":1whpmdxn said:
Pine sawdust and pine shavings will lower the pH of the soil. That's why azaleas mulched in pinestraw and pine bark do well: they're acid soil loving plants.

J.T., I thought alkaline was a lower pH than acid? Hence the need to add stuff to raise the pH of the soil to acidity.

Latest posts