Chlortetracycline in Feeds or Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Has anyone found a problem feeding chlortetracycline to a herd including the unweaned calves with the cows? I read where it says you need a withdrawal period before slaughter with certain doses, but I do not see any info where it could do any harm to the calf.

Chuckie,
I mix it regularly in our Minerals. Never had CTC cause any problems. Just read the mixing label carefully.The brand we use was at first confusing. Calves consume it all the time. Wont hurt em' a bit.

Chlortetracycline is an antibiotic which is also known as Teramycin. It comes in crumbles to mix in feed, tablets for calves , and injectable liquid.

CTC is the same as Oxytetracycline, it is used from Poultry and Hog operations, to use on Cattle as a preventative measure for Pinkeye.

Crowderfarms, I picked up a bag of minerals that has chlortetracycline as one of the ingredients. I mainly picked it up for helping reduce the chances of pink eye. I have vaccinated for it, but that isn't always fool-proof. The flies seem to be bionic this year,the rubs and sprays slow them down, but not completely. I read where this medication has so many uses. They use it for pink eye, scours, respiratory problems, foot rot, anaplasmosis, etc.... It reminds me of the tonics the traveling men sold many years ago for all ailments. I have read where it is used to medicate calves, but on the label of the bag, it says, "For weaned beef cattle." That threw me a little. The dosage is 1120 mg per pound. Now I know it means that they have not tested calves for the withdrawal period before slaughter. I knew if this had been a problem at one time, that someone here would know.

Chuckie":1qr6m6gm said:
Crowderfarms, I picked up a bag of minerals that has chlortetracycline as one of the ingredients. I mainly picked it up for helping reduce the chances of pink eye. I have vaccinated for it, but that isn't always fool-proof. The flies seem to be bionic this year,the rubs and sprays slow them down, but not completely. I read where this medication has so many uses. They use it for pink eye, scours, respiratory problems, foot rot, anaplasmosis, etc.... It reminds me of the tonics the traveling men sold many years ago for all ailments. I have read where it is used to medicate calves, but on the label of the bag, it says, "For weaned beef cattle." That threw me a little. The dosage is 1120 mg per pound. Now I know it means that they have not tested calves for the withdrawal period before slaughter. I knew if this had been a problem at one time, that someone here would know.
Chuckie, it's one of the best kept secrets I know of. I cant count how many Cattlemen I've educated about CTC.I'm not bragging, but They always thought the only one there was is Aeromycin. We have started selling quite a bit of CTC this year.I've had no eye problems at all so far this year, knock on wood. And like you said, the flies are bionic, seems they're the worst I've seen in a long time. Might be cause we're so dry and hot.Saw a bunch of cattle go through the sale 2 weeks ago and never so many with bad eyes.

The feed lot by me uses a preventative dose every month to reduce foot problems. Also upon recieving to reduce respritory probs. I feed it for 3 or 4 days at weaning on the calves that aren't going for all natural.

I add it to my show ration. Keeps the calves from getting sick during all the fussing and trucking during the year. Especially late in the year when the weather turns and the fans are still running.
They might get a snotty nose but never gets them down.
4 months is the youngest I give it. But only because that is when they are weaned. Good stuff.

CTC is the common ingrediaent in minerals that are designed/formulated for cattle on endophte enfested pastures. Supposed to help with counteracting the problems of the cattle eating the poison (endophyte)

dun

dun":3ahbxvj4 said:
CTC is the common ingrediaent in minerals that are designed/formulated for cattle on endophte enfested pastures. Supposed to help with counteracting the problems of the cattle eating the poison (endophyte)

dun

Dun, the resident endophyte genious :roll:
You know I have never figgured out why anyone would feed the damn stuff if it is such a danger and a hassel. Just say no to fescue!

chrome":2iff4fq3 said:
dun":2iff4fq3 said:

dun

Dun, the resident endophyte genious :roll:
You know I have never figgured out why anyone would feed the damn stuff if it is such a danger and a hassel. Just say no to fescue!

In some environments, this being one of them, if it wasn;t for fescue there wouldn;t be any cattle. Of course there would be more quail and small game. Fescue can take more abuse then any other of the coll season grasses, mixed with clover there is very little problem with endophyte. The problems may be there but aren't easy to see when the cattle are staying fat and raising heavy calves, breed back and don;t have the problems normally associated with endophyte. That's with our managment. With generic hillbilly management fescue is the only ting that can tolerate the abuse and still come back year after year.
I used to hate the stuff, but now while I'm not crazy about it I can sure see the value

dun

Latest posts