CHIGGERS

Help Support CattleToday:

KATHYWEEKS

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get chiggers out of a pasture. I'm afraid to use chemicals since our cows & horses are grazing out there. You can't walk across the field with out paying for it the next week!

There ain't no way to get rid of the little devils, their more hardy then a bramer, but you could walk a grid in the pasture and carry quite a few out with you :lol:

Chiggers are the little red bugs folks were talking about in the other thread. The are evil little creatures. Think of a skitter bite that don't quit iching no matter how muck you scratch it, lasting about 2 weeks and then multiply this by a factor of ten.

Kathyweeks, I dont want to be a smart aleck but the only way to get them out of the field is like was posted earlier, walk the field and take them out with you. Wish there was a better answer, about the only thing I know of is make sure you have plenty of Deet on your pants and your skin to keep them off of you. Hope someone else knows something better and then we will have both learned something

CHIGGERS - that word used to make my skin crawl. NONE in NY - yeah!
When we lived in Kansas, I could walk NEXT to a field & they'd get on me. For those of you that never had them, the need a TIGHT place to burrow into you. Like, around your ankles under socks, around your waist & legs from underpants elastic bands, under bra (sorry guys), behind your knees, if you are sitting. YUP, all the nasty places.
We used to get yellow sulfa powder and put it in a sock, than use it to "dust" ourself before going out. Especially around your ankles & waist. If you jump in the shower, immediatly after walking the fields, you will get rid of them before they borrow in.
It took many years, before I could walk through fields with shorts on - or sit on the ground!

I spewed Diet Coke™ on my monitor when I saw this topic.
The reason is... This weekend I went to do a "Quckie check"
on the cows wearing my short pants and tennie boppers.
Bad move there Maverick :mad: Now my ankles are circled
in chigger bites. :roll: I put fingernail polish on them, but they
still itch like H E double hockey sticks!

I have been away for a few days, so I apologize for being late, but I read everyone's post here and the other link from a few days ago. And I wanted to add my 2 cents...for what's its worth.

Something my great grandparents and grandparents did once chiggers were on you, was to take a vinegar bath. I don't know the precise measurements, just pour a good amount in the water with you and wash off...works every time.

Also, I read the post about the using powdered sulphur as a deterrent. I am definitely going to try that...Thanks.

TexasShooter":1omvnoam said:
I have been away for a few days, so I apologize for being late, but I read everyone's post here and the other link from a few days ago. And I wanted to add my 2 cents...for what's its worth.

Something my great grandparents and grandparents did once chiggers were on you, was to take a vinegar bath. I don't know the precise measurements, just pour a good amount in the water with you and wash off...works every time.

Also, I read the post about the using powdered sulphur as a deterrent. I am definitely going to try that...Thanks.

If there's a chigger within a mile it will find my wife. She now just washes down with a clorox and water mix, or if she's been into a really bad spot she'll take a bath in the same stuff. They get to her so bad that she had to go to emergency one day and get antibiotics and cortisone shots. Carried the welts for months and still has the scars.

dun

now they will eat you an dang do they hurt i used to get ate up with them but i havent had a chigger on me in 25yrs an yes i got in the pastures and woods in the bellydeep grass on foot but wont be touched scott

I've heard Guineas will eat chiggers and ticks. They would also tear apart the cow pies for faster decomposing and better distribution of the manure.
Susie

guienies will eat all kinds of bugs esp ticks ritht now im using chickens for pest control round the house scott

Can a guinea see a chigger? I thought chiggers were microscopic. I know I cant see them but my eyes arent what they used to be.
I was always told that its not the chiggers that itch but there teath that they leave embedded.

right you cant see the tiny little bloodsuckers but you sure can feel emm when they get dugg in scott

susie":2otzfdgp said:
I've heard Guineas will eat chiggers and ticks. They would also tear apart the cow pies for faster decomposing and better distribution of the manure.
Susie

Chickens will do the same thing for the manure. Don't know about the red bugs though.

denoginnizer":2r2cah3k said:
Can a guinea see a chigger? I thought chiggers were microscopic. I know I cant see them but my eyes arent what they used to be.
I was always told that its not the chiggers that itch but there teath that they leave embedded.

It's really the feeding tube they leave behind. It's pretty achedemic, they had to have been there to leave the tube.

dun