Chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

NCSU Maverick

Reaction score
With all the recent talk about poultry litter, I was wondering how many of you have cows and chickens. Around here, a lot of people have chicken houses as well as cattle. We have two broiler breeder pullet houses.

Just wondering, what do you do with the litter. Are you under contract or are you independant? Are there any independant producers anymore?

We spread the litter on our pastures.

We're under contract. The only independent producers I know of are growing fighting birds in their back yards.

I have a flock of maybe 30 or so chickens of various breeds and about that many that range around the fenceline and lay eggs in the barn when the feel like it. We keep them for eggs and because we both just love chickens. We don't have that much of a litter problem, but it does do well on the garden or pasture.

We have 8 broiler houses under contract.

The litter during the yearly cleanout is taken by the company we hire and they spread it on pastures elsewhere.
The litter that is removed during the between flock maintenance is spread on our pastures.

The company that our contract is with is involved with the lawsuit filed by the attorney general of Oklahoma. Apparently only poultry litter is responsible for the water problems in Oklahoma, no homeowner lawn chemicals, golf courses, etc., etc.

We have 11 chickens just for eggs, in a chicken house with a fully inclosed yard. 3 reasons they are not free range:

1. Coyotes
2. Eagles and Hawks
3. Chicken cr@p in the yard.

But we have penty of fresh brown eggs at the bargin price of about $22.50 a dozen. :D

Alan

[quote="Alan
But we have penty of fresh brown eggs at the bargin price of about $22.50 a dozen. :D

That is starting to sound like my operation! I turned out two barred rock roosters thinking that they wouldn't last long. That was 6 months ago and I have to shoot one of them with the BB gun every day to keep him from eating dog food and pooping on my back porch. He's probably too old to eat now. Unless I want to put him in a gumbo.

Got recipies? :lol:

Latest posts