Chickens...Now what?

Help Support CattleToday:

redneckcowgirlmn

Reaction score
I know, "Here she goes again"...and I know, CATTLE board, but ONE of you has to know something about chickens! That's why I put it under "Everything Else"!

Okay, so we ordered 25 chickens from Murray McMurray Hatchery back in July, got them, (6 Buff Orpingtons, 6 Black Australorps, 12 Araucanas, and a Silver Wyanette rooster. They threw in a "free Exotic Chick"~a black Cochin~, LOL...real exotic!)
Anyways, they finally started laying over the weekend, we have 7 pretty little blue and green eggs, 1 brown one...and 1 "Off white" one with a soft shell. What Happened there? Is this something I need to be worried about? Don't know who did it, they're all together. Did it just come out before the shell was ready? Is this a common thing with very young hens? The feed store guy has me feeding layer pellets, with calcium grit in a seperate feed pan, and the kids randomly supplement them with cracked corn when I'm not looking. (Now I know why the calves are going through the corn so fast!)
Thanks in advance. (Or, if nobody wants to talk about it, any good links to a chicken forum? LOL!)

Not as unusual as you might think. Not as common as a double yoker, but it happens periodicaly even with older birds. Funny feeling things, aren't they?

dun

dun":6fj10sx1 said:
Not as unusual as you might think. Not as common as a double yoker, but it happens periodicaly even with older birds. Funny feeling things, aren't they?

dun

Yeah, really weird when you pick one up, all kind of blobby...wasn't sure what I'd picked up the first time it happened.

Alice":7yr3md6b said:
Will it hatch like that?

Alice

I doubt it. Part of the purpose of the shell is to control the moisture within the egg. Shell-less eggs dry out awfully fast. You also have to open them with a knife tip. What that outer membrane is is the membrane inside the shell of a normal egg. Sometimes they'll have a very tin coating of shell material but they're still rubbery feeling.

dun

dun":2wj18aqy said:
Alice":2wj18aqy said:
Will it hatch like that?

Alice

I doubt it. Part of the purpose of the shell is to control the moisture within the egg. Shell-less eggs dry out awfully fast. You also have to open them with a knife tip. What that outer membrane is is the membrane inside the shell of a normal egg. Sometimes they'll have a very tin coating of shell material but they're still rubbery feeling.

dun

Well, now you see what I know about chickens...learn something everyday. I don't normally get queasy with stuff, but I think that would do it for me.

Alice

dun":3367wavz said:

dun

LOL!!! Reminds me of one of those "National Geograpic" shows, with the sea turtles laying eggs. It's sure wierd feeling. Kids want to keep it. :shock: (Well, we'll let it sit in the fridge for a couple days, till they forget about it, LOL!)

We got 1 double yolker already too! These darn birds are quite the source of entertainment for the kids! The names they're coming up with crack me up... We have a "Furry Face", "Silver Butt", "Fuzzy Feet", "Naked Butt" (The rooster got THAT one, after one of the hens got a little irritated with his attention!), "Rusty", "Snowball", "Blackie"(any one of 5 that's doing anything at that particular moment) "Goldie"(See "Blackie") "The one that looks like a Pheasant", "Grandma"(she's the same age as the rest, just LOOKS old, lol!) and a couple more that the Kids shouldn't be repeating, let alone me on here!

Sounds like your feed store guy is on the right track-your chickens need more calcium in their diet. That's the reason for the soft shells. Are your chickens running out on free range or are they confined? Usually, if they're running out they can get enough gravel and grit to make the shells hard but if they're kept up they don't get everything that they need. You can also give them crushed oyster shells as well. Once they get what they need the egg shells will be normal.

Alice":2c0cqbn5 said:
Will it hatch like that?

Alice

LOL, not after I pick it up...it is flung uncontrollably in any direction accompanied by high-pitched shrieks.

Our chickens spend the mornings in their pen and the afternoons running around outside so they can get bugs and stuff. They come back inside on their own close to dark. I give them some of those crushed oyster shells a couple of times a week, but what they really love is cooked spaghetti.

Just wait till the hornworms get in your tomatos. Chickens will mug you to get those things when you throw them to em.

dun

Rustler9":2ujswpmm said:
Sounds like your feed store guy is on the right track-your chickens need more calcium in their diet. That's the reason for the soft shells. Are your chickens running out on free range or are they confined? Usually, if they're running out they can get enough gravel and grit to make the shells hard but if they're kept up they don't get everything that they need. You can also give them crushed oyster shells as well. Once they get what they need the egg shells will be normal.

They're confined in an indoor coop in my horse barn, about 12 X 24. Can't let them out, they'll end up being Boxer food. (Tried getting barn cats...twice. Dogs played with them to death. Now I have mouse traps in my feed room. And no cats. In the barn. But the dogs don't mess with my 2 siamese that are INDOOR cats, but, well, THAT'S another discussion, for another forum...)

Found a chicken Forum, they said it's not uncommon, just a young hen getting used to her job...keep an eye on her, etc. It was just ONE, so far... and not sure who did it, out of 23 hens. Tried asking them, nobody would fess up. ;)

They have a feedpan full of oyster grit, free choice. (Does it come in different types? (Or flavors? just kidding!)They don't seem to go through very much of it. Feed store Guy said not to mix it with feed, they'll just waste it anyways.)

bubchub":2n8c9fso said:
http://p072.ezboard.com/bbackyardchickens

Thanks!

Went there... LMAO!!! "Bonding with your chickens". :shock: Apparently they like to be brought into the house and read to.

At least now I know I'm not as crazy as I thought I was. :lol:

Gale Seddon":1z66prsb said:
Alice":1z66prsb said:
Will it hatch like that?

Alice

LOL, not after I pick it up...it is flung uncontrollably in any direction accompanied by high-pitched shrieks.

I can totally understand that, Gale... :nod:

Alice

dun":19308tuy said:
Just wait till the hornworms get in your tomatos. Chickens will mug you to get those things when you throw them to em.

dun

In which case the chickens will get the worms AND the tomatoes!

Alice":2w1zxz8c said:
dun":2w1zxz8c said:
Alice":2w1zxz8c said:
Will it hatch like that?

Alice

dun

Well, now you see what I know about chickens...learn something everyday. I don't normally get queasy with stuff, but I think that would do it for me.

Alice

Yep... It'd throw me off anything feathered for A while. :help: Z

let me know if you ever find out how old a chicken lives to. i had some years ago, oldest one was a rooster who died at the age of 17 years, but i can't find anyone who knows how long a chicken lives for, so is that really old or so so?

You need to feed some crusted oyster shells. That is what commercial breeders supplement with to add calcium back to the chickens, which makes shells harder. You can by it at your feed store if they carry it. If you got anymore chicken questions just let me know.

Latest posts