chicken litter

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I realize that there was an earlier thread on two year old manure. i have a chance to buy fresh litter at $ 23.00 a ton spread. I was thinking of three tons per acre for hay field and two tons per acre for pasture. I have never used chicken manure before so what is the feeling on it and at this price? thanks in advance.

if i was you id jump on that $23 a ton litter spread fast.you cant buy litter round here for less than $20 to $25 a ton.an then add trucking an spreading to that for $10 to $15 a ton.here we spead 3 to 4 tons to the ac once a year.

thanks for the info. I guess i am lucky the chicken houses are less than eight miles from my farm. they dig them out every 62 days. This one farm has twenty three houses.So I am going to give it a try. Also how long does this stuff smell. The smell will not bother me , i do not live on my farm. maybe i had better warn my neighbor.His house is less than an acre from my hay field.

Wish litter was $23 /tom here. Try $30/ton and we have here in this county over 200 chicken growers

At $23 a ton, 3 to 4 tons per acre, and a spreading charge on top of that, wouldn't you be better off just spreading fertilizer? My fertilizer(13-13-13) cost $44 an acre, but I have to spread it.

RD-Sam":hv0gktom said:
At $23 a ton, 3 to 4 tons per acre, and a spreading charge on top of that, wouldn't you be better off just spreading fertilizer? My fertilizer(13-13-13) cost $44 an acre, but I have to spread it.
Exactly right , Sam.. Ever look up synonyms for manure on Google? Pretty funny. :D

Chicken litter use to be free, but with the high demand for it when fertilizer went up, guess they figured they would make some bucks off it. Fertilizer is back down, so I would watch what I do, you may pay more for the dung.

RD-Sam":1ppbcuqf said:
litter will make that soil rich as cream, where commercial fertilizers, especially triple 13 with alot of filler wont make a dent,, and you know the sedge problem we have here in north ala. it even knocks the cost of lime because its has enough lime content

If you did an analysis on the chicken manure and compared the actual cost per pound of the N, P, & K and then compared it to the per pound cost of commercial fertilizer nutrients, the chicken manure is one heck of a lot cheaper. I think you will be happy with the results. Cooler damper days will help with the smell. Rain is even better. The smell is ammonia (ie: nitrogen) leaving. So spreading when the weather will help reduce volitization will help retain more of the nitrogen.

Latest posts