Chicken Litter

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
What time of year is it best to put chicken litter out on cattle pastures? I'm thinking in the fall but keep getting different opinions. Plan on doing 2 tons to the acre.

At 2 ton, anytime really . Are you getting an analysis ? I know a few years back , some of the companies here were requiring clean out pretty often , and you didn't get much more than rice hulls or shavings , still good organic matter but not much fertilizer benefit . 2 tons is pretty light .

snoopdog said:
At 2 ton, anytime really . Are you getting an analysis ? I know a few years back , some of the companies here were requiring clean out pretty often , and you didn't get much more than rice hulls or shavings , still good organic matter but not much fertilizer benefit . 2 tons is pretty light .[/
I was impressed with analysis of the broiler litter. I've used it and plan to use more this fall.

Put litter out 30 days or so prior to the species of grass to start growing. You can favor either warm season or cool season grasses by the timing. Know the source: broiler, breeder, layer, turkey, ... as it makes a difference on expected analysis and results.

This will be layer litter. There's 7-8 3 story cage free houses a few miles from me. He does offer analysis on it. I'm kinda wondering about what Ebenezer said about targeting grass species. I'm wanting to give my summer grass a boost and mainly target bermuda grass. 2 tons seems to be the norm around here. I've been told both fall and late spring application so thought I'd ask you guys.

If it's layer litter , 2 ton is good. Layer houses don't get cleaned out as often and it's really rich, you are going to be pleased , it may burn some if it turns off hot and dry , but if you get a decent rain shortly after , you're gonna have a lot of grass.

Layer manure is straight manure with no paper, hulls, wood chips, ... It can be dry to lumpy wet. It is hot stuff from the N. It will make a bald man grow hair if it does not blister the skin! Will also have more calcium and P (no alum in bedding) than broiler litter. More bang for your buck if it is not too wet. 2 tons is a plenty.

Ebenezer":3b0syw8y said:
Layer manure is straight manure with no paper, hulls, wood chips, ... It can be dry to lumpy wet. It is hot stuff from the N. It will make a bald man grow hair if it does not blister the skin! Will also have more calcium and P (no alum in bedding) than broiler litter. More bang for your buck if it is not too wet. 2 tons is a plenty.

The layer litter I use does have some saw dust in it. Center of barn is bedded with saw dust. I have used as much as 3 tons to the acre.

Chicken litter is the ticket. Fertilizer value plus the benefit of organic matter. After about 4-5 years of using it here I had to back off and go back to commercial fertilizer bc the P was getting to high. Better use chicken litter while you can bc I'm afraid they are going to put a stop to it. I'm hearing that some biologists are saying that it's spreading diseases into the wild turkey population. I can't berify this is correct but I have seen a decline in the number of wild turkeys I see. If this is proven to be correct then you can hang the chicken litter up. We all know who will win this fight should it ever arrive.

JMJ Farms":1sgwxmkf said:
Chicken litter is the ticket. Fertilizer value plus the benefit of organic matter. After about 4-5 years of using it here I had to back off and go back to commercial fertilizer bc the P was getting to high. Better use chicken litter while you can bc I'm afraid they are going to put a stop to it. I'm hearing that some biologists are saying that it's spreading diseases into the wild turkey population. I can't berify this is correct but I have seen a decline in the number of wild turkeys I see. If this is proven to be correct then you can hang the chicken litter up. We all know who will win this fight should it ever arrive.

If it hurts turkeys I would hate to see how many we would have. They are abundant here but some years they seem to be less of them for some reason.

I'm going to try and put out 2 tons on 100 acres in October. The person in our area that spreads the layer litter has a deal with the egg farm to take all the litter so there isn't ever a shortage. I've been talking to some folks that use it on there hay meadows and said they couldn't believe the results. I'm thinking October for this particular field so I don't upset the neighbors too much.

We put out some litter on our hayfields earlier this spring.. Sometimes chickens come with it. Best chickens ever....

cowgirl8":34lwgo2e said:
We put out some litter on our hayfields earlier this spring.. Sometimes chickens come with it. Best chickens ever....
buy chicken liter for the free chickens and go to Paris sale for the free ice creams :banana:

CG8 is right litter does come with the best kind of chickens. I'd forgotten about the free ice cream at the Paris Salebarn pretty sure it made the owner rich. About a mile South of me there is probably 10,000 acres of farm land when those guys put litter out and it doesn't rain for several days it sure stinks up the place. I was really nervous when they put the houses in thought for sure I would smell them but so far we can't even tell they are over there. How does $31 a ton delivered and spread sound?

5S Cattle":3lkdlhxe said:
cowgirl8":3lkdlhxe said:
What?
From what i gather, the litter is taken out of the houses on conveyor belts and sometimes chickens get through and are dumped with the litter. I have 10 RI Reds from this place. They are the sweetest chickens and are good layers. This year though, we only got one and it was a leghorn and she's the dumbest chicken ever. She was hard to catch too, the RIRs are very easy to catch...Anywho, if you're wanting chickens and you're also wanting to fertilize, you're in luck....

Lucky":3cgvrhz8 said:
CG8 is right litter does come with the best kind of chickens. I'd forgotten about the free ice cream at the Paris Salebarn pretty sure it made the owner rich. About a mile South of me there is probably 10,000 acres of farm land when those guys put litter out and it doesn't rain for several days it sure stinks up the place. I was really nervous when they put the houses in thought for sure I would smell them but so far we can't even tell they are over there. How does $31 a ton delivered and spread sound?
I think that's better than what we paid this last spring, but last year we got it for around 26...

The first time we got litter, the only place they had to dump some of it was south of our house for the pastures around our house. It wasn't bad until it rained. I walked out of the house and the smell hit me. At first, my description of the smell was burnt lasagna...I thought, weird but not horrible...……...but, reality hit and it was horrible. Very horrible....past horrible. Luckily, that litter was spread the next day so the smell was diluted some...

My dad was a volunteer firefighter back in the day. He had a large hen house burn down that they had to fight. The litter smell with the water was unbearable he said, worse than burned flesh.

Latest posts