ChiAngus calving problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Mark Alley

Reaction score
I bought 4 beautiful open ChiAngus heifers at a local heifer auction. They were heavy, big heifers and ready to breed. Bred them to my Angus bull that has a record of producing small calves. So far 3 of the four calves have been huge and died. I am wondering if they will have the same problems on the second calving. Should I keep them and give them a second chance?
Apparently the Chi influence causes really big calves and breeding to a low birth weight angus is not enough for safe calving. I had no problems with eight other angusXangus.

Not sure on the modern Chi bloodlines. Back when we bred to them (in the 70's) they were extremely EASY calving - because they were shaped like a foal - long, lean and all legs. Might weigh a lot but came out super easy.
Maybe these heifers are too small internally???
It's a crap shoot as to whether they will be fine next year. I would have them palpated to see if they have large enough pelvic area.

Back in the late 70's we were breeding our black baldies to Chi bulls and selling club calves. We bought a full blood bull who every once in a while would throw a big calf over 100 pounds. The older cows could have them, but we lost a few calves that were just too big.

Bobg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1d2yetxx said:
Not sure on the modern Chi bloodlines. Back when we bred to them (in the 70's) they were extremely EASY calving - because they were shaped like a foal - long, lean and all legs. Might weigh a lot but came out super easy.
Maybe these heifers are too small internally???
It's a crap shoot as to whether they will be fine next year. I would have them palpated to see if they have large enough pelvic area.
Many Chis nowadays aren't as leggy as they used to be. We've got one in our barn and a few others in our county and they're all pretty stubby. The ones I've seen are very large internally, just don't have the length of leg they once had.

I reccomend selling any heifer that has dystocia problems with her first calf especially if they were bred to an easy calving bull. Unless you need more problems in the future.

Latest posts