Chevy 1/2 ton and pulling trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I been thinking about getting a Chevy 1/2 truck 4x4 Super Cab to work out of with my cleaning business. Would be pulling a 5 x8 cargo trailer most of the time.

But curious how big of a bumper pull stock trailer I could pull behind it if the need arose. Might come in handy if culling a cow or two or hauling kids show calves to weigh in etc.

Currently we haul everything in 20 ft stock trailer with 3/4 or Ton Truck. Never owned a bumper pull.

aplusmnt":3fmzymlj said:
I been thinking about getting a Chevy 1/2 truck 4x4 Super Cab to work out of with my cleaning business. Would be pulling a 5 x8 cargo trailer most of the time.

But curious how big of a bumper pull stock trailer I could pull behind it if the need arose. Might come in handy if culling a cow or two or hauling kids show calves to weigh in etc.

Currently we haul everything in 20 ft stock trailer with 3/4 or Ton Truck. Never owned a bumper pull.

You could pull a 16' if not too loaded. (The trailer that is. ;-) )

Everybody needs a bumper pull. You can get them in to places where a big heavy gooseneck won't.

Get a big enough engine in that 1/2 ton, and put a goose neck ball on it.
I'll bet that 20 ft. goose neck won't weigh 5-600 lbs. more then the 16 ft. bumper pull and you can put it most any place the bumper pull will go.

KenB":1thdsg4b said:
Get a big enough engine in that 1/2 ton, and put a goose neck ball on it.
I'll bet that 20 ft. goose neck won't weigh 5-600 lbs. more then the 16 ft. bumper pull and you can put it most any place the bumper pull will go.
i know a guy that pulls a 20 or 24ft gooseneck stock trailer an 20ft gooseneck flatbeds with a f150 4x4 ford.he has been doing that for 3 or 4yrs.an i havent heard him complain his truck couldnt pull them.a 1500 z71 chevy should do the samething.z71 is the heavy duty towing package.

A guy down the road pulls a 20 foot gooseneck with a ford f150 4x4 gas burner. How long will it last? I have know idea.

Pulling it is one thing, stopping it is another. IMHO 1/2 ton trucks are short on brakes. You can get away with if, if your both careful and lucky.

bgm":1obg956r said:
Pulling it is one thing, stopping it is another. IMHO 1/2 ton trucks are short on brakes. You can get away with if, if your both careful and lucky.

Very true, you'll be surprised what the 1/2 ton 4X4 will pull. If you're gettting a bigger trailer get one that has electric brakes, you should be ok with a 16' fully loaded if you don't get silly.

;-)

This is what I use. Works just dandy with the electric brakes. However, I don't use the overdrive or run much past 55 mph.

Jack

DSC01639.jpg

Ditto on the electric brakes. Trucks on flat ground can pull amazing loads. Stopping the loads is another story.

Latest posts