Checking in from the Southern US.

Help Support CattleToday:

SmallTimin

Reaction score
I signed up for the site last year, just now getting around to saying hello. I run a small stocker operation and hay business. I jumped in with both feet 2019. Have grown some since then. I love doing what I do, but it's not always easy. I still have plenty to learn, looking forward to getting involved with the site. Thanks y'all, for having me.

I signed up for the site last year, just now getting around to saying hello. I run a small stocker operation and hay business. I jumped in with both feet 2019. Have grown some since then. I love doing what I do, but it's not always easy. I still have plenty to learn, looking forward to getting involved with the site. Thanks y'all, for having me.
Welcome and enjoy the Board. We can all keep learning.

Welcome from Va. We are mostly a cow calf operation; son is doing some buying of mostly undervalued bull calves, making steers and putting together some matched into feeder groups for sale after weaning and all. Anything to help make the farm mtg payment!!!! I am a milk tester, 30 + years, and "semi-retiring", mostly from herds slowly selling out. I do a little of what @MurraysMutts does... I have several dairy cows that I use as nurse cows and have raised calves on and milk for the house. Had them farmed out for the last 2 years for ankle then knee replacements... hoping to get them back as they go dry on the dairy, and start over with them again.
Pretty views and pictures.

Welcome from Va. We are mostly a cow calf operation; son is doing some buying of mostly undervalued bull calves, making steers and putting together some matched into feeder groups for sale after weaning and all. Anything to help make the farm mtg payment!!!! I am a milk tester, 30 + years, and "semi-retiring", mostly from herds slowly selling out. I do a little of what @MurraysMutts does... I have several dairy cows that I use as nurse cows and have raised calves on and milk for the house. Had them farmed out for the last 2 years for ankle then knee replacements... hoping to get them back as they go dry on the dairy, and start over with them again.
Pretty views and pictures.
I got started 5/6 years ago with bottle calves. Then got into miniature cattle, and in 2019 my paw in law had a tree fall on him and I started working his cattle while he was in the hospital. He preconditions cattle for a big local(ish) operator. After he got to where he could go back to doing his cattle without help, the operator asked if I would be interested in doing the same thing at my place. So I went for it. I went from running 50 head at a time to running between 250-350 head at a time. At one point last year I had 425 head on the ground. This year my dad and I decided to go together and start purchasing our own cattle, to hopefully supplement the income I'm getting from preconditioning. A lot more risk, but no risk, no reward I reckon.

I got started 5/6 years ago with bottle calves. Then got into miniature cattle, and in 2019 my paw in law had a tree fall on him and I started working his cattle while he was in the hospital. He preconditions cattle for a big local(ish) operator. After he got to where he could go back to doing his cattle without help, the operator asked if I would be interested in doing the same thing at my place. So I went for it. I went from running 50 head at a time to running between 250-350 head at a time. At one point last year I had 425 head on the ground. This year my dad and I decided to go together and start purchasing our own cattle, to hopefully supplement the income I'm getting from preconditioning. A lot more risk, but no risk, no reward I reckon.
Good for you. It seems that preconditioning is a going thing and the calves bring more at the stockyards. But you have to buy the calves right... and buying bull calves is what is mostly working for us right now. We are doing it on a very small scale compared to you.... making up groups of 15-20.... buying in small numbers of singles to a half a dozen most times and because of the cow calf operation, he can only keep around 50 or so at a time right now. Sorta getting his feet wet at that. Naturally we market our own calves also. No close by feed lots here so most all cattle from this area get shipped out.

Good for you. It seems that preconditioning is a going thing and the calves bring more at the stockyards. But you have to buy the calves right... and buying bull calves is what is mostly working for us right now. We are doing it on a very small scale compared to you.... making up groups of 15-20.... buying in small numbers of singles to a half a dozen most times and because of the cow calf operation, he can only keep around 50 or so at a time right now. Sorta getting his feet wet at that. Naturally we market our own calves also. No close by feed lots here so most all cattle from this area get shipped out.
Of the 210 head here right now, only 74 belong to us. The rest are being preconditioned for the operator. We've been buying small loads of 30 or less. Trying different things to see what works best for us. I pretty much do it alone, except in cases where my dad is able to help me when he's off from work.

USDA stats says the Average Cattle herd in 8 in Alabama. 65% of the beef cattle in the USA are in herd of 100 or less. You're going to find out most of us are part-time in that we work 2 jobs.

USDA stats says the Average Cattle herd in 8 in Alabama. 65% of the beef cattle in the USA are in herd of 100 or less. You're going to find out most of us are part-time in that we work 2 jobs.
I started that way. But cattle and hay are all I do now. My wife works full time, but we're both doing what we love. I'm giving this all I've got. I'd rather try it, than go through life wondering. I turn 33 this year, so nows my chance.