Check Out This Growing Container

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1000608.jpg

Guess what's growing in it.

ga.prime, that's an interesting container there. Hey, I might try that myself. What did you fill it with? I don't have a guess on what's growing in it, but it looks like some kind of greens.

That is a kind of greens ga.prime. In answer to your ?, the container is filled with composted mulch from the local state penetentiary. Given away free to tax paying citizens. (And anybody else.)

ga.prime,

i think its about time to clean out that watertrough. looks like you got some scum growing on the surface. i wouldnt want my animals drinking that. :(

That used to be rabbit-proof fencing. It's been tripped over so many times now that it has become entirely useless.

Good guess Fred. It's spinach. The other two containers contain lettuce. Bibb in one, Romaine the other. Also some beets interspersed amongst the Romaine.

I like to plant the Burpee lettace pack with several varieties of leaf lettace. It gives you about 5 different kinds.

Good luck with your garden. The times I tried spinich I had no luck. They say it needs real fertile soil. I think I am too far South to grow good spinch.

Fred":183kyhhb said:
I think I am too far South to grow good spinch.

I don't understand, why would being too far south be a factor in growing good spinach?

msscamp":3k7em9bl said:
Fred":3k7em9bl said:
I think I am too far South to grow good spinch.

I don't understand, why would being too far south be a factor in growing good spinach?
Some crops just don't grow well in the deep South.Brussel sprouts, spinich, and head lettuce are good examples. Also asparagus doesn't do well here. I wish it did because I would like to be able to raise it. Most grapes don't do well but Muscadines grapes do well.I am able to grow grapefruit and satsuma oranges. Haven't had a bad killing freeze for citrus here since 1989.

Did you punch holes in the bottom for drainage?

Next spring I should have THE garden. (My first in years) When we bought this place just shy of two years ago there wasn't much for pens so Set up my 40' round pen and an attached 40x40' holding pen just south of the house. I have an area 40x80 that was in almost constant use and has never been cleaned. As soon as this little episode with my left thumb is handled a friend of mine is going to let me use his Troybilt tiller to turn it all under. This is good sandy loam soil so if you come visit and go in the garden I wouldn't stand still very long. Something will start growing up you pants leg.Z

Latest posts