Cheating?

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie and i'm not another horseguy when we registered her we aged her 2 months she is really nine months old. I had originally sent in the right birthdate but after i did some of the show people from up north tod me that if i wanted to compete that i should age her so i did. some people may say its wrong and i can agrre with them but after going to alot of show i realize that alot of people do it, i'm not saying that its right but i don't wanna waste my money and get beat or noit have a shot at somthing that is aged. And also she beat about 40-50 head at state fair you can ask RICHBURG she does need more depth and some more spring of rib but all in all i think she is a decent heifer. Please just don't think i'm not a horseguy, I'm not gonna try and hide anything i'm just trying be able to have fun and compete after all winning isn't everything but losing isn't fun. Thanks for listening
What do ya'll lthink of this.

It makes my blood boil :mad: :x :mad: :x :mad:

Happens everyday in big and little shows.

Went and looked at some heifer's, was told the b-day of one was Nov. 2005, it showed up out on the show circuit a few months later and all of a sudden it was a Jan. 2006 heifer. Same heifer, compared pictures.

Look down the road, they won't be able to show it as long, it will get to big and start falling apart before it's suppose to.

Ridiculous. Stupid. Lazy. Wrong. Unethical.

I think that if you cant win with what you have, then have fun doing it and buy or breed up. That way you are not cheating.

That kind of stuff makes me mad. I know their are animals we show against that I question the ages of their animals. You can't really prove it, but a good eye says otheewise. To admit to it or cheat because someone else does it, is wrong. It makes one wonder about the rest of their breeding stock, if they have any.

It drives me crazy!!! :roll: I wish people could just be honest. Having the oldest calf in the class does not guarentee you a win. I have been to shows and seen heifers be one age then you see them again a few months later and they keep getting younger. This past weekend my son won overall Res. Grand heifer and my daughter won Grand heifer in the born and bred class with heifers that were the correct age. One was 8 months and the other was six months old so you don't need to age your heifers to compete. they were the two youngest heifers in the show.

If you are mad and upset about the birth dates being changed then youre in the wrong business. The real problem for breeders and breed associations is the practice of making up papers for heifers. Calling a MaineXBrangus a PB or a AngusXSimbrah a PB. This to me is a bigger problem than people putting down the wrong birthdate on papers.

Matt Schiel

It is going to be hard to figure out who is really sending posts or do you have a split personality. the story is constantly changing from overall Res.Grand to reserve AOB. let officials at the fair sort it out. If kids want to play games be careful some opf the games can get pretty serious. I hope you all learn your lessons. and hopefully it all straightens out.

skcatlman":1lgca4e3 said:
It is going to be hard to figure out who is really sending posts or do you have a split personality. the story is constantly changing from overall Res.Grand to reserve AOB. let officials at the fair sort it out. If kids want to play games be careful some opf the games can get pretty serious. I hope you all learn your lessons. and hopefully it all straightens out.

its not going to straighten out because this is the third time he has done something like this(the others were on myspace) and i specifically told him that i would not cover for him because i didnt want to endanger myself. so for him to go and do this really po's me.....but he didnt specifically state that she was AOB reserve Champion

our state fair doesnt do an overall champion (Because certains breeds are there at one time then the other ones come the next day after the first group leaves.)

he will never admit that he posted any of this but i was there with him during lunch in our ag room when he cofessed about him lying about her age

Believe me it will eventually staighten out as he will get known as a cheat. judges and buyers will know the reputation and that will follow him for years. the big thing is not that he cheats but that he is dumb enough to brag about it. As far as being there that is just your word against his ,but you already have the upperhand as alot of people will automatically think he is dishonest. It will catch up with him trust me it always does don't you know of some other show jock that cheats and isn't it common knowledge. Value your reputation it is easy to lose and hard to keep. Be an greedy person always keep your word.

Matt Schiel":3tueenrl said:
If you are mad and upset about the birth dates being changed then youre in the wrong business. The real problem for breeders and breed associations is the practice of making up papers for heifers. Calling a MaineXBrangus a PB or a AngusXSimbrah a PB. This to me is a bigger problem than people putting down the wrong birthdate on papers.

Matt Schiel
Oh, so cheating is just part of the business? :mad:

If assocs. have PB registries that's their decision. don't see what's wrong with it.

No matter if its age, PB or X, doctored papers, etc. It still boils down to cheating.

To cheat and lie are not something I want to teach my children. I do want to teach my kids to take pride in their accomplishments. As I said in the other thread, the important thing is that they do the very best they can with what they have. During this, if they happen to win a ribbon or a trophy, thats an added bonus.

A friend once asked me to go look at a horse with him. A palomino saddle horse. A very nice animal. I took one look at his eyes and knew right away that the horse was doped. I related this to my friend who chose to ignore me and bought the horse anyway. Upon getting the animal home and given time for the drug to wear off, he decided to go for a ride. That is when all heck broke loose. A broke leg and a few broke ribs later, he tried to get his money back. No such luck.

Was he cheated because he was to inexperienced to know better or to take my advice? I think so. After that the guy that sold the horse had a very bad reputation and later moved out of state to begin cheating somebody else.

Sorry so longwinded.

I hope Richburg tells their instructers about this, and then puts as much distance between himself and the other kid as possible. You are known by the company you keep and the cheater better clean up his act.
I do believe a lot of breeders who show will report a wrong birthdate. If the calf is born a day or two before a class age break, I think a lot will report the calf as a day or two younger to get them in the younger class. Not right, but it sure isn't changing the date by a couple months!
If you search the Hereford EPD site you can type in the prefix used by a breeder in the name field, then type in the year of birth, then sort by birth date. You can bring up most of the calves reported by the breeder born in that year. Look how many are born the first week of January, and how few are born in December at all.

*Cowgirl*":31pnkklu said:
Matt Schiel":31pnkklu said:

Matt Schiel

If assocs. have PB registries that's their decision. don't see what's wrong with it.
I should have clarified. When I see PB I think Percentage blood sorry :oops:

Matt Schiel":1sv26jvu said:

Matt Schiel

My favorite is the papers of an actual PB heifer, (a heifer that actually exists) being used on an AOB heifer and the person(s) doing it being allowed to get away with it.

A decent judge can often pick out a cheat. Most judges if they read a lot or get about the shows,familiarize themselves about a breed they are to judge will work out if an animal has had their age substituted. If it's far too big and stands out in its class the judge could mark it down. There will be structural faults or some little things that could identify it as a cheated animal. I have a fleshy young Brahman bull that maybe just a bit small for his age that I could easily have slipped him back a few days to get him back into the junior classes. But he's registered and I would get caught out some where down the track. Been showing for 30+ years and have never done it and not about to start.

TxSimbrahShower":9cnbk8h6 said:
Matt Schiel":9cnbk8h6 said:

Matt Schiel

My favorite is the papers of an actual PB heifer, (a heifer that actually exists) being used on an AOB heifer and the person(s) doing it being allowed to get away with it.
sometimes there aren't enough of a breed to make

TxSimbrahShower":fvdmmqr8 said:
Matt Schiel":fvdmmqr8 said:

Matt Schiel

Here in TX there's been a purebred heifer of one breed run as a purebred heifer of an entirely different breed.. I'm sure you remember?

Matt Schiel[/quote]

No, cheating should not be part of the business, but it is. Changing birthdates for alot of people is a standard operating
procedure. We have never changed a birthdate on any of our cattle since in our opinion, you have to beat everyone anyway to win GC. Also a "good" judge can usually tell if a heifer or bull is way to big for the class they are in. I have had people who wanted me to change birth dates and other stuff to make the heifer "fit" a class.

Thanks,

Matt

Latest posts