cheaters never prosper....fishing tournament fraud

Help Support CattleToday:

Funny. "Cheaters never prosper" is the biggest lie in the history of the world made up by some person who was jealous about how prosperous all the cheaters are. Only reason not to cheat is because you're living into some other higher meaning or purpose in life - that something matters more to you than the biggest bass.

Funny. "Cheaters never prosper" is the biggest lie in the history of the world made up by some person who was jealous about how prosperous all the cheaters are. Only reason not to cheat is because you're living into some other higher meaning or purpose in life - that something matters more to you than the biggest bass.
Yeah... the meaning in that saying is a little deeper than that. People that cheat, organizations that cheat, nations that are tolerant of cheating, get their own just rewards as a consequence. The reward we see as so easy by cheating has repercussions beyond the obvious. Not a lot of people think about that if they are focused on immediate gratification. And ya gotta be pretty dim to cheat and be happy when you win.

I happened in Ohio last year. They cheaters had won over 30k in prize money at various tournaments as I recall.
If it's the one I saw they didn't put lead weights in the fish but strips of fish filets from other fish . 😳. I'd call for public hanging. Only one would get the message across. 😆

My brother is a ship's captain with a fishing boat on Lake Ontario.... he has talked about a few cheaters over time at these fishing tournaments... He has participated in some up there and has done pretty good...
Some of those cheaters could fall overboard and drown while out fishing too......

I taught school for 30 years . My speech before a big test , especially the first one , was I hated 3 things . A liar , a thief , and a cheater . And if you were a cheater you were also a thief . Enough said .
I have a science teacher in high school that had a 150 point test he was very proud of. He claimed that no one had ever aced it, and he offered a full grade bump for anyone with the highest grade. Most of the test was about insects... and he gave most of the information as a chart about types of wings, mouthparts, preferred habitats, etc.
I aced the test and he accused me of cheating.
And what could I say? How does a kid respond to that kind of accusation just because he aced the test?
What the teacher didn't know is that I'd been collecting insects for 4-H for years, and even got a purple ribbon at the state fair for my collection... and he never asked. All he did was state boldly that I'd cheated.
Mr. Goates, you are dead and gone for a long time and I don't wish anything bad for you... but you were wrong.

I have a science teacher in high school that had a 150 point test he was very proud of. He claimed that no one had ever aced it, and he offered a full grade bump for anyone with the highest grade. Most of the test was about insects... and he gave most of the information as a chart about types of wings, mouthparts, preferred habitats, etc.
I aced the test and he accused me of cheating.
And what could I say? How does a kid respond to that kind of accusation just because he aced the test?
What the teacher didn't know is that I'd been collecting insects for 4-H for years, and even got a purple ribbon at the state fair for my collection... and he never asked. All he did was state boldly that I'd cheated.
Mr. Goates, you are dead and gone for a long time and I don't wish anything bad for you... but you were wrong.
Don't think I was ever guilty of that , but I don't blame you . I would have told him about your 4H experience. My daughter took my anatomy class at our local community college. I pried myself on stressing the basics . When she went to nursing school at Auburn she got the head of the department for her first class . Meagan didn't ace it but made the highest in the class . Next day the lady asked her to come to her office. She grilled Meg pretty hard ; where did you go to high school, community college, family stuff etc . She told her no one had ever done that well without taking her lower classes . Meg felt like she was being accused of cheating. Anyway she continued to do well and the instructor became a friend. My only complaint was she didn't tell her it was my dad who taught my college anatomy class .

Don't think I was ever guilty of that , but I don't blame you . I would have told him about your 4H experience. My daughter took my anatomy class at our local community college. I pried myself on stressing the basics . When she went to nursing school at Auburn she got the head of the department for her first class . Meagan didn't ace it but made the highest in the class . Next day the lady asked her to come to her office. She grilled Meg pretty hard ; where did you go to high school, community college, family stuff etc . She told her no one had ever done that well without taking her lower classes . Meg felt like she was being accused of cheating. Anyway she continued to do well and the instructor became a friend. My only complaint was she didn't tell her it was my dad who taught my college anatomy class .
Yeah, I froze. It never occurred to me that I could have defended myself. It just pissed me off and I left. It's nice that your daughter was asked some questions, and eventually trusted.

All during the 90's, ( and it still goes on today) we had a Tuesday night bass tournament on Lake Allatoona. 7-11PM. There was a father/son team that won about every week, and always won the big fish pot. In 2001, I bought a little place in Resaca, and it had a 2 acre, spring fed pond. I decided I wanted to stock some more bream and bass in it. Called around to all the fish places I found on line, getting prices. They would quote you X$'s per hundred fingerlings, depending on how long they were,. Called this one place up around Jasper, and the lady said " Our bass are $5 per pound". So I said, "OK, so how much do 100 four inch fingerlings weigh?" She said " We don't sell fingerlings...we sell 5 lb to 10 lb individual fish". I told her I wanted to stock a pond, and couldn't pay $25 per fish , for 100 fish. I asked her who does she sell these to? She said to people like Cabella's, etc, that have large aquariums. She said she had some bass fishing clients that bought some though. Said " I have this father/son that comes up here and buys one every Monday evening. I think they put them in their pond to practice with or something. Hang on...let me look up their name and number, and you can call them and see how these bass work out." Well, guess what their names were?!! I called the dude who ran the tournament, and that Tuesday, those boys had a bad day. Game warden had followed them Monday night, and saw where they had the basket sunk. They staked the spot out Tuesday night, and busted them when they pulled it up to get their fish. It is against the law to transport fish from one body of water to another,,, and to use fish baskets, nets, etc,..anything other than rod and reel, for game fish. They had a couple of charges. There was also 3 deputy's cars there as it got close to 11 o'clock weigh-in at the dock. The tournament director had spent the whole 4 hours finding the other teams and telling them what was going on. The deputies were there to protect the cheaters from the rest of us! LOL With averaging 30 teams every Tuesday night, $20 per man/$40 per team,. there was $1200 or so in the pot every night. 1st place got half.... $600..... 2nd 30%, 3rd 20%. And we had a big fish pot, that most people got in at $10/head, so that was another $300 they got every week. $1000 per week, and they spent $35-$40 on a 7 - 8 lb fish every week. The dad had retired from the county auto shop but his son still worked there. The son quit that week, and I noticed their bass boat for sale in another week or so.

Last edited:

Latest posts