Cheat grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I have patches that I grazed hard in order to keep it from going to seed, but that didn't work.
I'm assuming there is a seed bank there and it'll continue to come up each spring.

My neighbor says when it gets bad in his wheat fields he switches to cotton for a couple years and keeps the cheat sprayed but when he goes back to wheat in a few years it starts taking over again.

Any way to control it ?

The 24-d label says not to spray where you're wanting a seed crop.
I was thinking that maybe an option but I'll also hurt the ryegrass seed crop as well

callmefence":3953o2vm said:
24d should have no effect on cheat or ryegrass
Seed. Or the grass for that matter.

Maybe they were meaning a seed crop like wheat maybe ?

No it's listed under pasture and rangeland
Excuse my notes
I was trying to figure how to mix it

Cross-7":h9byu60v said:
callmefence":h9byu60v said:
24d should have no effect on cheat or ryegrass
Seed. Or the grass for that matter.

Maybe they were meaning a seed crop like wheat maybe ?

Maybe but it won't effect the germination of wheat. I would imagine they mean it's not to be used on plants where seed is going to be harvested and marketed. Like a haying restriction. Just meant to prevent the herbicide from being moved inadvertently to a different location...especially being cotton country

You find a way to control cheat grass and you will be a millionaire real quick. There are vast areas of it out here in the west.

Dave":3e3j66so said:
You find a way to control cheat grass and you will be a millionaire real quick. There are vast areas of it out here in the west.
And there are areas that if it wasn;t for cheat there wouldn;t be a cow.

Cross. We have it in random clumps. But I never see it in widespread patches or fields of it. The grasses here must out compete it.

Bright Raven":1ioee0ix said:
Cross. We have it in random clumps. But I never see it in widespread patches or fields of it. The grasses here must out compete it.
Same here, it's mostly along crop field edges in the spring. I've never seen it compete with fescue.

It's a problem here
One thing I think adds to it is when it gets too thick in wheat to harvest the wheat they roll the wheat into hay.
I think feeding it to cows causes it to spread.
Maybe I need to try and seed more ryegrass and choke it out.
Native summer perennial grasses are shaded out and get a slow start, especially if it's dry the cheat uses all the moisture before the perennial grasses get a chance

Latest posts