Cheapest place to raise cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

rynophiliac

Reaction score
I know this is a complicated topic and there are many variables, but I'm looking to find areas where it is possible to make a living raising beef, mostly what I'm looking for is where it pencils out on paper. Out here in the Southwest, I can get state and federal grazing leases for around $2500 per animal unit. If I buy a state or blm grazing lease that holds 100 head I will pay around $250,000. This type of ranching does pencil out financially but I'd really like to own the land. Looking at other parts of the country, especially where it is all private land I am finding you have to pay $10,000+ to purchase the amount of land required for one animal unit. Some parts of the country up north are as low as $3500 to support one animal unit but it is hard to find lots big enough to support enough cows to make a living. Most tracts only support only 50-70 cows. I'd really like to run around 350+ head to make a good living for my family.

My search led me to Oklahoma. Arkansas and Missouri were pretty close seconds for us but not the right fit. Mississippi has the cheapest land I've seen but I don't think the soil on the places I looked into will hold enough nutrition to get you very far.

I've looked at the BLM and USF ranches. I didn't feel it was a save investment. I felt like they could pull my permit at any time.

One thing I didn't factor in when I moved was the climate and people
I'm from the west and when you get east of I-35 its really densely populated, lots of city people.
There are lots of small tracks of land and not many big places, but compared to buying in the west, is lots cheaper to buy in per cow.
It'd be tough to put a place together to run that many cows in one place in the east without several places scattered around.

West Texas it's 20-25 acres to a cow on an average year and lots of times its dry and it takes double that. Land prices are crazy high based on production. It's hard to buy anything for less than a 1000 an acres or say 20000 per cow, but the hunters come in and buy it all the time.

I spent nearly a year east of Tulsa close to Arkansas and Missouri state lines
Land prices were right based on the carrying capacity
I didn't factor the heat and humidity, the ticks and chiggers, meth heads

Also need to factor in your input cost such as lime, fertilezer, brush hogging, weed spraying, and/or growing hay and etc

Nw Oklahoma is wide open and very few people big places.
It can still be bought for 750-800 an acre and carry a cow on around 15 acres or so and not much hay, just grass and cake.
Having enough water is the biggest problem, weak underground water and ponds going dry.
Lots of rough country and more cowboy type ranches
But it's cold and the wind blows ALL the time and you haven't felt cold till you've experienced 10 degrees and a 30 mph north wind

I always liked the flint hills or Osage in Oklahoma but I couldn't buy in there.

That ain't much help, but that's all I know

Good luck on your search

I'm far from a nationwide real estate expert but I can speak to my neck of the woods. We have some amazing cattle country, it's not unusual at all to talk to guys who run a pair per acre around here. Lots of rain, lots of humidity, lots of heat in the summer, fairly mild the majority of winter but for 4-6 weeks in Feb & Mar it gets nasty cold snowy & icy. Plenty of good pasture & hay fields around. Land is pretty reasonable, generally you're looking some where between $1,500-$2,500 an acre depending. People are mostly nice, lots of Amish around, we have our problems with drugs these days but who doesn't. All in all a great place to raise a family & I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

I can't afford this place, wish I could, but if you can & you're serious I'm sure you could get it for less than asking & there's no doubt you could run enough head on it to make a nice living. http://m.landandfarm.com/property/528_A ... y-2240172/

Cross-7":xfvcgm3c said:
But it's cold and the wind blows ALL the time and you haven't felt cold till you've experienced 10 degrees and a 30 mph north wind

:lol: :lol:

I know my reply has nothing to do with the topic, but I found that statement very funny.

Galloway2":2josbsy7 said:
Cross-7":2josbsy7 said:

I know my reply has nothing to do with the topic, but I found that statement very funny.

You have to factor in I'm from west Texas and when its get below 70 degrees it's considered cold :D

There are a lot of advertisements here the last few years of people looking for tracts of land to raise cattle. We get hot in the summer, have ample rainfall and usually run one pair per acre depending on the type of pasture. Winters are relatively mild. Property taxes are very affordable.
A government study came out talking about the amount of ground water in Alabama and Georgia. That has caused an interest in the veggie farmers as well.
I visited a farm 2 hours south of me. It was 750 acres and they ran 800 stockers. Rotational grazing and winter grass knee deep. Heck of a set up.

If you don't mind answering a question, I'm curious about those state and federal leases you mentioned for $2500 per animal unit. How does that work? I assume it's for a long time period? These may sound like stupid questions, but I don't have a clue.

Galloway2":1536d6v0 said:
Cross-7":1536d6v0 said:

I was smiling a bit too--especially after the last 2 winters. But it's all relative....And you can remind me of this in a month, but give me the cold over the super-hot temps and humidity anytime

Rafter S":3okkirec said:
If you don't mind answering a question, I'm curious about those state and federal leases you mentioned for $2500 per animal unit. How does that work? I assume it's for a long time period? These may sound like stupid questions, but I don't have a clue.

You purchase the grazing rights for the land, you don't own the land, but you own the right to graze cattle on it. It can be state, BLM or Forest service land. There is usually some deeded land included. The more deeded land there is the higher the price for the ranch. If you can find someone selling just the grazing rights with a small amount of deeded (less than 40 acres typically) that is when you get into the $2500 per animal unit price range. The grazing rights are typically for 10 years but you have priority to lease the land the next term. Grazing rights can be taken back but it does not happen often. I personally prefer to own the land which has lead me on a search for other areas.

I promise I'm not a negative Nellie, but when threads like this come up, I usually offer caution. I'm not convinced a place like you have in mind still exist. A few years ago, it probably did. If 550 pound calves were still $2, then it still might somewhere. Your talking a place with fair weather, good grass, fertile ground, and lots of water. Those places command a high price. The description matches western Ky. I may be a little jaded. Land has skyrocketed in my area. Maybe it hasn't everywhere. Idk. I do know for a fact, that cattle won't pay for land in my area, and have money left over for living expenses. I hope you do the find the place you have in mind.

Bigfoot":1cuklp8k said:
Your talking a place with fair weather, good grass, fertile ground, and lots of water.

I'm not too concerned about nice weather. I mostly concerned with owning the land and having enough cows to make a good living. Good weather would be nice but not required. In fact the cheapest places I've found so far are up north where yo have to put up hay for winter. They are cheaper probably because not as many people want to live up there due to the weather. I'd be ok with with winters.

boondocks":1z0psf2t said:
Galloway2":1z0psf2t said:
Cross-7":1z0psf2t said:

I was smiling a bit too--especially after the last 2 winters. But it's all relative....And you can remind me of this in a month, but give me the cold over the super-hot temps and humidity anytime

Boondocks,
how are you liking raising cattle in NY? Any pros/cons?

I would certainly want to own some ground, but if I wanted to go about it on that scale, I'd be more interested in leasing a lot of the ground. Around here, grazing land can be had for the taxes. You're talking about a 100 acres for $1000/yr or less.

If it's good flat hay ground, maybe a little more.

I'd buy 100 acres and get long term leases on another few hundred somewhere if it was me. Or id at least consider it.

Bigfoot":3ehs0stx said:
I do know for a fact, that cattle won't pay for land in my area, and have money left over for living expenses.
If what you are saying is true, and I believe it is, then the future of cattle farming is bleak.

rynophiliac":vf4vlfta said:
Boondocks,
how are you liking raising cattle in NY? Any pros/cons?

We like it. That said, we do not have enough cattle for a full-time operation, having gotten a late start. Many in New York State do, though. It has some of the oldest and most-respected Angus herds in the country, for example. The pros are the stunning scenery, 4 seasons, mild summers, beautiful long autumns. Lots to do outdoors, Adirondacks in your back yard, hunting (if you're into that), fishing, maple syrup-making, kayaking/canoeing etc etc. Lots of interesting history (some of the key Revolutionary War sites are near us), quaint towns and good people, and a burgeoning farm-to-table and direct-to-consumer scene.

Land varies a lot. Here's a sampling: http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/S ... &curpage=1
One of the downsides is that the winters are sometimes not too bad, and other times quite trying. (We have a long, steep driveway which colors my view a bit). However, our herd has been bred for this climate and soldiers on very well, knock wood. Last year we were deep in snow by now; this year, not yet a flake. (Yeah, I've just cursed myself, having said that!).
PM me if you want.

Latest posts