Charolais Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
just wanted to see how many of us on here are Charolais breeders or use Charolais cross cattle in our operations or will try Charolais influence cattle in the future

I would like to eventually try a charolais bull or even cows because of what i've heard of their superior growth ability. I have heard some negatives as calving probs, but i'm not learn'ed on the breed and would like to hear from some char breeders first-hand, what are some attributes or negatives to owning/raising char/charX cattle.

Had a char bull and liked him. Got a crossed cow that is half char and she's a fertile thing. Good momma.

I have a herd of Charolais cows (purebred & reg) and normally use a good Charolais bull. However, I'm currently using a Beefmaster bull and liking the results.

There are +'s and -'s with Charolais (just like any other breed) but I think the Charolais +'s out weigh the -'s.

I've been using Charolais bulls on about 50 cows. Angus and Char/Angus cross. My char bulls have birthweights in the mid 80's.
No problems calving. I also use angus bulls on char and char/cross cows. Those Char influenced calves are in demand.

TxStateCowboy":5xtb148f said:
I would like to eventually try a charolais bull or even cows because of what i've heard of their superior growth ability. I have heard some negatives as calving probs, but i'm not learn'ed on the breed and would like to hear from some char breeders first-hand, what are some attributes or negatives to owning/raising char/charX cattle.

Charolais got there bad rep in the 70s when Breeders where breeding for mature weight and not Birth wieght but today the Charolais breed has improved alot for calving

I really like Charx cows and we have some but not near as many as I wish we had..... given time we will. Can't beat those 50% continental / 50% english calves.

We raise registered Charolais and have a spring bull sale.
Our commercial cattlemen are very comfortable with the breed and will even use our bulls on xbred heifers with some help to sort the growth bulls away from the calving ease ones.

If you find a breeder you can trust (birthweights, performance data, etc) stick with them and you'll do fine.

I run a charolais bull over Beefmaster cows. Have as long as I can remember. Have never had any regrets. Especially not the checks for the calves

oscar p":k84x7lei said:
I run a charolais bull over Beefmaster cows. Have as long as I can remember. Have never had any regrets. Especially not the checks for the calves

What are your calves weaning at? do you creep feed them?

vs_cattle":38a4lhbb said:
just wanted to see how many of us on here are Charolais breeders or use Charolais cross cattle in our operations or will try Charolais influence cattle in the future

Charolais cross calves are money makers. My growthest calves last year were Charolais x Hereford. Simi X Angus was the runner up.

The nearest Charolais bull breeder around here has blue silos and 2000# cows. Kit Pharo would have a stroke if he say their set up.