char x angus balancer bull

Help Support CattleToday:

angusdave63

Reaction score
i have a char cow with one of the nicest bulls on her that i have raised in years. i am thinking of keeping him to use as a bull, he is out of an 878 bull and she is reg. but not out of any big name bulls. she is very fertile, nice udder very good disposition, and the right frame score. just wondered if anyone had used a bull crossed like this for a comercial herd. and how did they like the calves. he has a red tint so should not throw rat tails. thanks David

The biggest problem you will face is that this bull will not breed true for color. When you can buy a white, red or even black Charolais bull that will breed true why bother? Also how much do you know about the cow family this cow is out of? Remember most purebreds that are crossbred to other breeds (or culled from purebred herds) aren't the best cows around.
I have seen plenty of half blood Charolais bulls kept back and most suffer from the herd bull from birth syndrome; unless you have big numbers to cull and select from how will you know just how good he is relative to other bulls? Objectivity goes out the window in cases like this.
If you want a silver or black Charolais bull talk to Hendrik at HEJ Charolais or the Quinton's at Char-Maine. If it is a Charolais synthetic line bull go to the University of Alberta and get a U of A Synthetic (Angus, Charolais, Galloway) as they have been selected in a closed herd for over 50 years and they are a very good multi colored herd.

3waycross":3olrwi31 said:
No offense but a balancer is a Gelbvieh/Angus
:nod: I wasn't sure if he had a char cow crossed with an Angus bull and was calling the calf a balancer, or if he crossed the char cow with a balancer bull.

Isomade":1qapq5er said:
3waycross":1qapq5er said:
:nod: I wasn't sure if he had a char cow crossed with an Angus bull and was calling the calf a balancer, or if he crossed the char cow with a balancer bull.

Thanks a lot. Now I am confused.

Isomade":1ix6rj9d said:
3waycross":1ix6rj9d said:
It doesn't matter, a crossbred is a crossbred regardless of whether a registry recognizes it or not.

Unless you have Purebred cattle, don't use a half blood bull.

well we have simangus, gelbveih/angus balancers, and limflex, i just wondered why a char/angus cross would not work. i know quiet a bit about the cow family and if there was ever a charolais cow i would save a bull from it would be her

angusdave63":2c15jsds said:
well we have simangus, gelbveih/angus balancers, and limflex, i just wondered why a char/angus cross would not work. i know quiet a bit about the cow family and if there was ever a charolais cow i would save a bull from it would be her

Why not AI her to a good charolais bull and try and breed a good charolais bull out of her. Just looking at your breed make up a charolais bull will be a good choice for terminal calves and a hereford bull if you want to retain heifers, you'll get some consistancy of calf crop with either with a good dose of hybrid vigour.

i think she is already bred to the red poll this year, but i have thought about breeding her and her sister to the lt bluegrass bull i really like him.

sizmic":2brsw5dq said:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=122793&l=17747571a2&id=100000658525370

My Bluegrass x angus bull calf, and, yes he's now breeding the commercial cows!!!
Sizmic
they were'nt nothing else you could breed em to??

angusdave63":1tj9m8ag said:
i have a char cow with one of the nicest bulls on her that i have raised in years. i am thinking of keeping him to use as a bull, he is out of an 878 bull and she is reg. but not out of any big name bulls. she is very fertile, nice udder very good disposition, and the right frame score. just wondered if anyone had used a bull crossed like this for a comercial herd. and how did they like the calves. he has a red tint so should not throw rat tails. thanks David

Red tint or not, if he carries the dilution gene he could still throw rat tails if bred to black.

Bluegrass is no performance bull. For a bull with better numbers and a better maternal background check out Oakdale Duke.
The diluter gene causing rat tails is found in some Pale French Simmentals and Chianinas. If a Charolais bull ever produced rat tails out of black cows that I owned he would get a ticket to town.
On these crossbred bulls what performance data was collected? Number of contemporaries?
As an aside what is the most you have ever paid for a bull?

with this bull the [char x angus] he will have to jump through some hoops before he gets to stay intact. he might very well end up a steer come october. but some of you guys talk about not knowing what i really have and i see your point as well. but keep in mind 2 of the last 3 bulls i have purchased from suposed honest breeders, were bred a whole lot diffrent on there papers than what i was told while we were looking at them in the pasture. so with this in mind who knows what you get until you hear the fat lady singing. one was supposed to be 878 on top, and 6807 on bottom, turned out he was 6807 top and bottom and yes a carrier to boot. he went to the sale barn. the other was supposed to be out of northern improvement, oops 2 days after i have him home he was out of our clean up bull, sorry bout your luck. and would you believe these breeders are both now out of business. just some thought on where i am coming from thanks for your replys. David

Sometimes I think producers think that the only good bulls can be sired by or have big name bulls in their pedigree. This is crazy. How many bull calves were cut because of this mentality? Quality is quality no matter the pedigree.

If this Charolais cow is from a family that consistently producers quality calves that you like, what is wrong with using a bull out of this cow, even if he is sired by a bull of another breed (in this case Angus).

Yes this calf is the result of HYBRID-VIGOR but also using him will also pass hybrid-vigor on to his offspring.

Just because this cross isn't used as often and SimAngus, Balancer, LimFlex doesn't mean it won't work.

Latest posts