Chain

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog said:
Do you have an online supplier for link chain for balers and other equipment?

Brand? I pray it's not a Krone closed drum. I have that T-shirt.
My hay man gets all his Vermeer parts out of Mississippi and shipped in.
I don't know the name but could find out.

60 or 60 hd, I really don't know the difference, but I have some spreader stuff and drills that use flat chain also. My search engine is just giving me vague details without going through a hundred sites.

Peerless and Diamond are as good as you will find. It doesn't have to come from your equipment dealer. Google these brand chains and you should find a distributor.

snoopdog said:
Could this be what you are looking for.

https://www.sloanex.com/more-ag-parts/chain/flat-steel-chain.html

hurleyjd said:
snoopdog said:
Could this be what you are looking for.

https://www.sloanex.com/more-ag-parts/chain/flat-steel-chain.html
Exactly, thank you I had forgotten about Sloans. It was roller chain that I meant when I posted but my brain wouldn't let me spit it out. 2bucks a ft is definitely better than 6 bucks.

Had anyone ever used O-ring chains. On my roller has 1 chain gets hay dust and fine hay packed around it after about 5 rolls and it looks dry as a bone. I try to use chain lube every 20 or so rolls on that chain. The rest of the chains once every 50 60 rolls. A O-ring chain that length is well over $100.00.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Roller-Chain-Links/

I find you get what you pay for in chain...
In low speed/power applications you don't notice the quality difference but you start putting power and speed on them, like conditioner roll drives, you'll definitely notice it.
We used the RS series, which I think is a better chain than the H series, we also got it by the 250 ft roll.

https://www.motioncanada.ca/productCatalogSearch.jsp?q=tsubaki+60h&f_0=CONTAINING_NODE_ID_en_t_facet%3A16490%7CRoller+Chain

Used to use Tsubaki, now use Drives by Timken on everything. Made in USA is better than Japan. Would like to use Diamond, but I can't justify it. I don't fix chain, as soon as it breaks I chop out a brand new replacement length. Wasted a lot of time as a kid mending chain with Dad as couldn't afford new. Wasn't unusual to have 1/2 dozen or more connecting links in a 10' chain.

ClodHopper37869 said:
Had anyone ever used O-ring chains. On my roller has 1 chain gets hay dust and fine hay packed around it after about 5 rolls and it looks dry as a bone. I try to use chain lube every 20 or so rolls on that chain. The rest of the chains once every 50 60 rolls. A O-ring chain that length is well over $100.00.

I read on another board where several people stated that they don't oil the chains on their balers. The theory was that the oil just collected more dust and shortened the lives of the chains. I still oil mine, but wonder if they were onto something.

ChrisB said:
ClodHopper37869 said:

I read on another board where several people stated that they don't oil the chains on their balers. The theory was that the oil just collected more dust and shortened the lives of the chains. I still oil mine, but wonder if they were onto something.
I don't think so, I think you have to remove and clean them in diesel/solvent at the end of the season. Now , I can't preach because by the end of the season, I don't even want to look at a piece of hay equipment, but its probably a good practice. I miss my automatic oiler on the old baler.

ChrisB said:
ClodHopper37869 said:

I have heard the same thing for many years. I have never tried it. I oil all chains and pivot points regularly.

Latest posts