Cereal (winter) Rye Longivity

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve

In my area, cereal rye will normally cease regrowth in late april & our average last frost date is about Mar 15, so one could assume about 4-6 weeks after avg. last freeze date. It can also vary some by variety & soil moisture. Probably the real measure is day length, but not sure what that figure is. Would estimate 12-12.5 hrs day length.

To maximize length of grazing season, it must be kept short & vegetative. Once a head forms maturity begins. One year we had better than normal spring conditions & rye was getting away from our cattle. When we saw the very first head in the field we swathed about 75% of the field with the cattle still grazing in the field. The cattle immediately started grazing the uncut portion of the field, ignoring the windrows of hay. When the uncut rye was grazed out the cattle then started grazing the windrows. Windrows were grazed with little waste, also got a little regrowth on the swathed area. I figured we got 2-3 weeks extra grazing by swathing. IMO swathing at the first sign of heads is the best time. Too late =no regrowth & can have problems with the beards in heads. Also if grazing bearded wheat or rye after heading, the beards can cause mega-eye problems. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Six weeks after average last frost will be about the Fourth of July! We have good moisture and heavy soil, but some really long days this far north.

I'll keep it short and see. Thanks for the swathing tip.

Steve

Latest posts