Center caps falling off

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I have this kind:

The little plastic nuts are always backing off, the. You lose it. They high as heck at the dealer, and hard as heck to find used. Shy of putting glue on, before threading them on, what else is there? I check my oil every Saturday morning, and walk around the truck, and finger tighten the little nuts. Even at that, I've still lost a half dozen. Any suggestions.

M-5":3uqasrju said:
use some blue thread loc on them

Sounds good, will they break loose for me without damaging threads? There plastic.

Bigfoot":33lvba7l said:
M-5":33lvba7l said:

Sounds good, will they break loose for me without damaging threads? There plastic.
Yes, they should break loose just fine. Dad had those on a truck for almost 300k miles without ever having one come off.

Bigfoot":192j3wqg said:
M-5":192j3wqg said:

BF , I let my mouth overload my azz on this one , checked the loc tite web page and its not recommended for use on plastic.

I would think that nail polish may be safer. I( have used that on metal nuts and bolts in a pinch but u may want to test it first

Their cheap plastic and serve no purpose. Take them all off and be done with it.
next time you buy a truck be aware of the cost of the caps. when your almost done negotiating , tell the salesman. I don't want those, take em off.

fenceman":1zk12xcs said:
Their cheap plastic and serve no purpose. Take them all off and be done with it.
next time you buy a truck be aware of the cost of the caps. when your almost done negotiating , tell the salesman. I don't want those, take em off.
That might be a option for some, but you don't know Bigfoot :D.

fenceman":odkakxud said:

OCD for neatness, and order.

Bigfoot":1mrrd0kp said:
fenceman":1mrrd0kp said:

OCD for neatness, and order.

Gotcha, I can relate. Mom was a elementary school principal and a complete neat freak. Everything ran by schedule set months before. If a hub cap was to come of a car dad would have that sob in the garage on blocks until the new one arrived.
Made me the anti neat freak. If I get something new. The first thing to do is knock some paint off it. Then I don't have to worry about it looking new anymore. I never schedule Anything.
Buzzards wouldn't roost on my truck. :lol2:

Maybe it's not a case of the nuts coming loose and you losing your chrome equivalent of colorful high top boots Bigfoot.
They are easy pickins for thieves at places like walmart or even at rodeo parking or the grocery store. A quick squat down beside your tire, and a pair of pliers will take them nuts off and that cover is gone in about 20 seconds--or less.
I found that out the hard way when both of mine on the passenger side came up missing on the same day parked in a hospital parking garage. They probably ended up on Little Rock Craigslist the next day

greybeard":15v3l3gc said:
Maybe it's not a case of the nuts coming loose and you losing your chrome equivalent of colorful high top boots Bigfoot.
They are easy pickins for thieves at places like walmart or even at rodeo parking or the grocery store. A quick squat down beside your tire, and a pair of pliers will take them nuts off and that cover is gone in about 20 seconds--or less.
I found that out the hard way when both of mine on the passenger side came up missing on the same day parked in a hospital parking garage. They probably ended up on Little Rock Craigslist the next day

Could be. I think my tire guy put them on with an impact once. Might have spun the threads.

Bigfoot":ywvfsayy said:
Could be. I think my tire guy put them on with an impact once. Might have spun the threads.

I have the same wheels and center caps. I only have one or two that come loose but I never lose any. It is definitely annoying and I believe its from tire guys tightening w impact which is too much for those plastic threads. I might try the fingernail polish.

Angus Cowman":6mpqqogw said:
Black silicone as in gasket sealer will work and it will take up the slack from them being put on with and impact and stretched
Get the good 3M stuff

Check that. Good advice.

Latest posts