Census?

Help Support CattleToday:

Got mine yesterday. Our Christmas break is about to end, gotta go back to school Monday. When I get all my stuff graded and grades done, I might take a look at it. It said I had until Feb 4 so I'll probably do it at school some evening - dial-up at home.

Got ours yesterday.
We looked at each other asking are you going to fill it out? No.
Got enough junk on my desk to fill out and finish.

Just about everything from how much do you make, how many animals, how many acres, what are they worth, how old are you, how many acres pasture, how many do you graze, hay, lay aside. Same for cropland. The list goes on and on. About the only thing they didn't ask was your social security number and I'm sure they already have that.

iowahawkeyes":3ri1o2j1 said:
Caustic Burno":3ri1o2j1 said:
Yep and mailed it back in. You really think they don't know what you have. After Rita the local extension agent showed me pictures of my place. You could see every t post, tree that was on fence. There was one you could see the catfish in the back pond feeding after the feeder went off. You could count every cow calf in the pasture with no problem.

So why do they send it out if they already can see what is going on? Hmmm. To see what big liars we are?
\

To see if you are telling the truth.

I've never known anyone who filled them out. I used to get them and some my neighbors do.

We figure that it's none of their business. Our cattle (or sheep/horses, etc.) are our inventory. We keep track like other businesses, but, like other businesses don't report it to the feds. Tax forms give them income from ag.

Nothing has ever happened to anyone that I ever heard of.

Got mine this week too. Will give me something else to put off until the last day.

Larry

VanC":3eyx1ect said:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of questions do they ask?

Van,

here is the web site if you click on the report form guide you will get 155 page document...most of it contains instructions for filling out the census...The census is only 24 pages. scroll down to pg 104 and the census form begins.

Last year was a shorter questionaire than this one.

donna

http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Help/Repor ... /index.asp

I hear some of you saying that you have yet to receive. I don't know about where you are at but in MN, they are only sent out once every 5 years ~ so maybe this is not your year....?

Oh. Never mind, on further review this is everyones year....

Says this is an exciting opportunity to shape the future of the agricultural industry!!!! YEAH!!

This is me excited ------> :roll:

I think these are strictly voluntary. I do not give out any personal info to anyone for anything.

GMN

According to the FAQs on their web site and the information provided with the census, it is not voluntary. Whether they enforce that or not is another question.

"Must I respond to the Census?

Yes. United States law (Title 7, U.S. Code) requires all those who receive a Census report form to respond even if they did not operate a farm or ranch in 2007. "

I filled our's out last night. I have never done one before. I don't know about Steve, but we haven't had one since we married, almost 4 years.

It says they come out every 5 years but it sure feels like it was less then 5 yrs ago when we did the last one. I started ours last night. WOW! How do they expect me to figure out all these questions before I do the taxes? How did yall that have already filled your out estimate the total value of all your equipment/barns ect.? I have no idea how to do that!? Also I was wondering why would they want to know if we have any barns constructed before 1960? I did notice on the front where it states you have to fill it out BUT it didn't say it had to be filled out COMPLETELY. What if I leave all the hard questions blank?

Do you all ever wonder why they need to know how many farms etc, there are in the US, why is it just for farmers, why not doctors, lawyers, etc, I mean is it any of their business how many cattle we have or the model of our tractors, etc...?

GMN

Latest posts