CCM Drum Mower Height Adjustment

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgefarmer63

Reaction score
Hello fellow hay cutters,

I have a CCM165 and am looking to modify it so it'll mow a little higher.

I'm thinking there are two options;

1) Install bushings above bottom saucers with longer bolts and away you go.

2) Weld some sort of additional wear plate to the bottom of the bottom saucers.

I'm leaning towards option #1.

Option #2 seems to be too expensive and too much added weight.

Has anyone tried either of these and what were your results?

One concern we have is if we go with the bushings, the gap between the upper and lower saucers would be greater and we were concerned with debris potentially collecting inside the bottom saucer.

Thanks in advance for any input and happy haying.

Mike

How much higher are you wanting to cut. I had a PZ some years ago and would run the top link out some tilting the front of the drums up a little if I had a patch I didn't want to cut as short.
I'm thinking an inch or so higher. CCM makes a one inch thick donut that moves the lower skid plate down an inch.

I never understood the top link adjust. It seems the leading edge would be higher, but the trailing edge would be lower ??

Trailing edge blades would be lower eh ?
Yes they would. Lol...have you tried it. ..?
Drum mower doseni cut on the trailing edge . I'm not familiar with your brand but most give tilting the drum as a method for controlling cut height. I use a hydraulic top link so I can adjust hieght from the seat..eh

Last edited:
Yes they would. Lol...have you tried it. ..?
Drum mower doseni cut on the trailing edge . I'm not familiar with your brand but most give tilting the drum as a method for controlling cut height. I use a hydraulic top link so I can adjust hieght from the seat..eh
I see you editted to add an "eh", ha ha !!

I'll give it a shot. Probably gonna mow Tuesday.

PS. The folks who write those instructions are just like you and me. Engineers make mistakes too. I R one.

Still think it cuts on the trailing edge, just a little less.

But, I've been wrong before....

I see you editted to add an "eh", ha ha !!

I'll give it a shot. Probably gonna mow Tuesday.

PS. The folks who write those instructions are just like you and me. Engineers make mistakes too. I R one.

Still think it cuts on the trailing edge, just a little less.

But, I've been wrong before....
Your not wrong just not completely right.lol
I can be cutting and see the cut get longer as I extend the hydraulic top link. I don't know that it's so much about it doesn't cut as that the grass is layed flat momentarily as the disc goes over it.
He// hook it up and try it. If it doesn't work I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Your not wrong just not completely right.lol
I can be cutting and see the cut get longer as I extend the hydraulic top link. I don't know that it's so much about it doesn't cut as that the grass is layed flat momentarily as the disc goes over it.
He// hook it up and try it. If it doesn't work I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
Had a little rain lately so had a chance to read the manual. Outta the manual "Cutting height adjustment" _ "Cutting height may be adjusted slightly by means of the top link. Best results obtained by tilting the mower slightly backwards in rocky conditions. In order to prevent re-cutting of the stubble, the mower should not be tilted backwards greater than 5 degrees. In rocky conditions, tilting mower backwards will extend blade life, but not mowing quality". So thats it. I guess we wrer both partially right.

So when the rain stopped , we tried it. Hard to guesstimate 5 degrees but, it seemed to miss more rocks.

I am thinking a 1/2 " donut and keep the mower level. Or maybe 2-3 degrees back... :)

I would recommend the donuts. I have learned that cutting around 4 inch stubble height means much better regrowth. I have risers on my disc mower to keep it up. Clears rocks better and blades last much longer.

Hi guys,

I'm resurrecting an old thread.... I know. But, did anyone come up with a good solution on this? I used a DM2555 (with a lift kit) for the first time today and it cuts too darn low. Right now, I'm at 2.5". I need to get it to 4-4.5".

I personally didn't install the lift, so I don't know what they look like. Can you stack them? Could you fabricate something similar and install with longer bolts? It appears the skid saucer spins independently of the cutter disc, so I don't think there would be any issues like out of balance. Thoughts?

Much appreciated!

I called the CCM guys and talked about this. They make a 1" kit (risers and new bolts). I remember asking them why not go even higher and they mentioned a problem if you go too high (sorry, can't remember exactly what they said).

I would think if you put 2" high donuts on, there might be a debris build up problem. I agree with the out of balance theory you mentioned. It shouldn't be a problem since the bottom skid just pinwheels.

As pointed out in the previous post , you can lean it back(lengthen the toplink) to help a little.

I never put the kit on as the CCM has become my back up mower, although I still might put the one inch kit on it someday.

Good luck !

Latest posts