Caution: Cattle loose on road.

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
Without a word of a lie, that is what the signs posted around a farm a couple miles down the road says. I thought first time i saw it that it was strange. Last weekend though, I was driving by and there was a bull on some guy's lawn. I drove into the farm that was next door and told him his bull was loose. He said that isn't his bull it is from the farm up the road and has been loose for over a month! Wanted to know if we would butcher it if he shot it....Bikers own the 'cattle loose on road' farm....Wow! I told him to herd him in the barn and ship him....

On that note though, I have a steer who gets out twice a week! ( I don't know how) and he walks to the neighbours and then comes home....should I put a sign out? lol I didn't want to kill him til spring but hubby is fed up!

Listening to my scanner, car wreck, and one of the things said was, "Look out on this road there are cows out everywhere and visiability is low."
I could just hear the guys saying, "Oh crap."

Hate cows getting out.

Onthebit":3u6npgf7 said:
Without a word of a lie, that is what the signs posted around a farm a couple miles down the road says. I thought first time i saw it that it was strange. Last weekend though, I was driving by and there was a bull on some guy's lawn. I drove into the farm that was next door and told him his bull was loose. He said that isn't his bull it is from the farm up the road and has been loose for over a month! Wanted to know if we would butcher it if he shot it....Bikers own the 'cattle loose on road' farm....Wow! I told him to herd him in the barn and ship him....

On that note though, I have a steer who gets out twice a week! ( I don't know how) and he walks to the neighbours and then comes home....should I put a sign out? lol I didn't want to kill him til spring but hubby is fed up!
what kind of biker's the rich lawyer type, or the he!#'s angels type....either one could be trouble :nod:

I don't know, jst don't think we should get involved....but send them down the road another mile and my horses might round em up....going to get a pic in the morrow...............

I hate cows out. If I know the people who may own the cattle, I'll just call them up no big deal. This sounds like a problem that's not being addressed. Obviously the people who own the cattle don't give a hoot they are out, either call the authorities and file a complaint.

Not long ago I was sitting in dispatch and a call came in from a motorist at about 2:00 a.m. that there were cows out on the road near the Holiday station at the edge of town (officer said he figured the cows had plenty of milk, but ran short on cookies :lol2: :roll: ). Anyhow, they were trying to figure out who the cattle belonged to. I asked what kind of cows they were, hoping to narrow it down. The officer responded that he didn't know but that they had tags in their ears :???: (these are the same guys that get mad when they ask what kind of vehicle and the caller says "red"). I directed them to the nearest dairy farmer (figured dairy guy would be getting up soon anyhow). Officer told dispatch to call the farmer and to tell him to bring a gun, one of the cows had been hit and was unable to get off the road but was still alive and in distress. Turned out they did not belong to the dairy guy, but he shot the cow anyhow.

Black cows + Black Night + Black Tar = Black Day

And I think messing with biker''s cows would be a black year.

When I was a kid, 3 of the horses got out. Was a very bad winter and we couldn't find them. 2 months later, the neighbour called and said the workhorse and pony were walking past his place. We went to get them but Becky (MY HORSE) wasn't with them and they were skin and bones! Becky never did come back. My dad figured she died of starvation.

ALACOWMAN":1xr7t913 said:
do you folks ever have nightmares like me. about your cattle being out, in the most ridiculous places. :lol:

No nightmares, but real times it seems the few times mine have gotten out it was during the least desireable times (on my way to work or late at night) and weather( pouring rain or frigid cold).

while back i went over too mississippi for a couple day's . had some replacment heifers on a rental place, where you had too water everyday .left my teenage son look to after the chore. came home and there they all stood right in the middle of the main co rd. huntin" :mad: water..

It is the first assumption of everyone that when cattle are out, the owner doesn't have an adequate fence. Many times that is true, however around here there are many other reasons for cattle getting out. Some reasons are:
People backing into a driveway to turn around and backing into the gate and knocking it open or down.
People running off the road and through a fence and driving off.
People going through the gate and leaving it open.
People opening a gate and leaving it open for meanness.
People cutting the wire in a water gap.
People riding a fence over to climb it or drag a boat over it.
An extremely noisy motorcycle or truck can scare cattle into a stampeded that will run over a fence.
Dogs can run cattle over or through a fence.
All of these are reasons for cattle to be out in the road. However, many of them go unnoticed until cattle actually get out and then you have to find where they got out. With more city people moving into and traveling through the rural areas, it is becoming a bigger and bigger problem.

ALACOWMAN":1u7168e4 said:
do you folks ever have nightmares like me. about your cattle being out, in the most ridiculous places. :lol:

:nod:

...I guess you need to consider if it's a "fence out" or "fence in" county... some counties around here, you're allowed to let livestock roam and if you don't want livestock in your place it's your responsibility to fence them out... of course our attempt is to fence ours in... but you know, I find that little calves fall asleep next to barb wire and stand up on the wrong side every now and again... and yes, it's usually at night or raining or other...

and grannysoo --> good insurance is a must, because around here, if your livestock escapes (even if it's because some person has crashed through your fence) - it's your liability if somebody hits them and wrecks their car (or worse gets injured themselves).

Last Sat. night it was almost dark, my neighbor on the east of us called. He is a lawyer. Their son 25/30 yr old had been out on their place in the afternoon and saw our cattle out. He forgot to mention it to them till dark. We drove back over their place, couldn't see a thing. Couldn't sleep all night worrying about someone hitting a cow and getting hurt.Sun morning we got in all the cows we could find and put them all in a lot. One big steer came wondering up the road waiting to get in.
We went out and started fixing fence. On the south pasture we couldn't see where they might have got out, but we tighten every thing we thought they may have gone through. At the NE corner of the south pasture my neighbor had a big deer stand on his property. Didn't think anything about it till we started working on the north pasture. About 75 or 100 ft north of the tree stand our fence was tied down with a rope only about one foot from the ground and the top wire broke or cut. I guess this made it easier for the deer to cross for the great hunter. To be fair, the west fence had 2 places with broken wire where deer had crossed. But unless those deer have gotten smarter and learn to tie knots we have an idiot living next door.
I am still so mad.

Latest posts