cattle watch interval

Help Support CattleToday:

lawnviewfarm

Reaction score
[short version]
For those that watch their cattle closely at calving time, how often do you check on them
(a) as you approach 270 days (T minus 2 weeks)?
(b) once you're past the 283 day mark?
(c) when they start pacing?

[long version]
So Saturday evening I bring the cows up to the feedlot per usual routine to feed them. I typically walk the 'line of tails' to check them for the usual signs of impending calving (springing 'n stringing, bagging up, etc) while they're dining. I make a mental note that cow #3 'looks close'.

Now the bull was turned in with the cows on May 27, 2007 so first calf would be 'due' on March 5, 2008, by the numbers, assuming a cow follows the numbers and was bred on the day of the bull's turn-in. And we go about the rest of our daily chores.

Long about dusk, the Mrs. and I walk down to the mail box. By now we can hardly see 'cross the pasture and our walk takes down past the feed lot. Most of the 'girls' are now just loafing around. On the return trip, I notice a cow pacing, walking circles she was. She heads out to the pasture, but I notice the rest of the herd doesn't follow. A quick check of those still loafing tells me its cow #3 headed out on her own. So I make a mental note to check up on her later that evening.

Back at the house, I munch some vittles; sis calls, we chat some. Then I remember cow #3, and head out with flashlight in hand. Can't see #3 from the driveway (insert note to investigate spotlight here). I walk down the driveway and notice most of the cows still in the feed lot. Down the road I go with flashlight in hand. I get to the path on the far side of the pasture and head down that way. A little later I see a pair of reflective eyes chest-high; okay, there she is. Walking further, I see a pair of eyes knee-high, oh wait, was that a pair of eyes or 3 eyes? A little further and there they are, 4 eyes knee-high, 2 eyes chest-high; 6 eyes there are-twins! The little buggers are all cleaned off and standing attempting to make the connection to their first meal. Our first twins, and for cow #3, this was to be calf #3. So, now it's #3b and #3h.

I enter the night's events on the record card for cow #3 and see that she had calved a heifer calf on 4/18/2007-oh yes, the week 'the 3 heifers' calved last year, how could I forget? Now twins on 3/8/2007; not bad, 1 cow, 1 year, 3 calves. I also noted that last year cow #3 had allowed several other calves to nurse her. We'll see how she does with her 2.

From pacing to seeing nursing twins, about 2-1/2 hours had elapsed by my reconstruction of events. Obviously, my watch interval wasn't as often as it perhaps should have been. My question, how soon would you have checked back on cow #3?

--Marc

I check my heifers way more than I do my older cows. Older cows that have a bag etc. Every two hours or so. My heifers, every hour when they appear to be close.
Double R

Funny you should mention cow #3 calving as my #3 (a heifer) calved last night. I was making my "calf" watch rounds on the 4 wheeler and I noticed her by herself in the woods. She was taking two steps forward and then two back. She was swinging here head and trying to lick her sides. I knew she was in labor. Being that this was a heifer I stayed to keep an eye on her. She didn't like this and walked off and I saw her lay down about 50 yards back in the woods. I left her alone for an hour and then went back in with a spotlight to check her. Her water bag was just starting to come out. I left and went back to the truck and waited 30 minutes and went back to look again. This time hoofs were protruding. Since that was a good sign I went back to the truck and waited another 45 minutes and then went back. On the ground was a nice little bull calf. She was cleaning him off and trying to get him on his feet. I watched for another 30 minutes to make sure he was going to stand and suckle. She was doing as great job as a first time momma could do so I left them and went home. I got 6 more heifers left to calve. The first two went good with no problems. All of this bull's calves last year and so far this year have been between 70 and 80 pounds so I feel pretty confident that the rest of this batch of heifers should do it on their own. But I will keep checking 3 times daily just to help protect my investment.

When they could be due but no one seems to be doing anything and it is cold 3, warm 4 hours.When someone actually looks like they could do something it depends on the weather. If it is warm 3 hours. If it is cold 2 hours. If a cow is actually doing something (example pacing) then it depends on the cow. We've got one that likes to walk for at least 5 hours, we know that about her. Most of them though I don't leave once they get serious. If I do leave (if they are the kind that likes privacy) it's only for an hour. That said if it is nice on Saturday they will all be on their own for the day. There's only one heifer left to calve and she won't be coming on Saturday.

According to the lastest batch of "drive-by lookie loo's", I'm apparently supposed to be out there 100% of the time!!!

We had a 7 year old cow go into labor on Sunday morning, water bag out at 8:00 a.m. -- hubby and I were out walking fence lines preparing them to begin the pasture rotation for the year.

At 9:00 a.m. upon getting back up to the house we had a note from Animal Control, a message on the machine from Animal Control stating that they're getting calls from the sheriff's department and we had an animal in distress, they had the authority to dispatch an emergency vet, etc. etc.

I kindly returned the call (as hubby advised he should not call this animal control officer back). I advised Mr. "You will respect my authority" that the cow was in labor, water bag just presented at 8 a.m., the check at 9:00 a.m. showed the water just broke so that we would check on her again in about an hour... blah, blah, blah... he was in our driveway within 15 minutes so we got to go through the scenario again on why this was NOT an emergency situation... nice, gung-ho young man

Well guess what, in an hour... no progress, none, no hoofs, no nothing, got her up to the vet pen, down the alley into the squeeze and we now have a nice little bull calf running around... cow was fully dilated, calf was in good position but not perfect he was a little bit turned so that the legs weren't straight down, I want to say he was about 30 degrees off counter-clockwise from a text-book, picture perfect position.

Different strokes for different folks... I guess I will not be having the spring cows in that particular pasture next year so it isn't so visible from the street :)

DavisBeefmasters":15ajfnk5 said:
According to the lastest batch of "drive-by lookie loo's", I'm apparently supposed to be out there 100% of the time!!!

We had a 7 year old cow go into labor on Sunday morning, water bag out at 8:00 a.m. -- hubby and I were out walking fence lines preparing them to begin the pasture rotation for the year.

At 9:00 a.m. upon getting back up to the house we had a note from Animal Control, a message on the machine from Animal Control stating that they're getting calls from the sheriff's department and we had an animal in distress, they had the authority to dispatch an emergency vet, etc. etc.

I kindly returned the call (as hubby advised he should not call this animal control officer back). I advised Mr. "You will respect my authority" that the cow was in labor, water bag just presented at 8 a.m., the check at 9:00 a.m. showed the water just broke so that we would check on her again in about an hour... blah, blah, blah... he was in our driveway within 15 minutes so we got to go through the scenario again on why this was NOT an emergency situation... nice, gung-ho young man

Well guess what, in an hour... no progress, none, no hoofs, no nothing, got her up to the vet pen, down the alley into the squeeze and we now have a nice little bull calf running around... cow was fully dilated, calf was in good position but not perfect he was a little bit turned so that the legs weren't straight down, I want to say he was about 30 degrees off counter-clockwise from a text-book, picture perfect position.

Different strokes for different folks... I guess I will not be having the spring cows in that particular pasture next year so it isn't so visible from the street :)

Welcome to california!! That is one reason I have started calving behind my house! City is getting to close and this is a direct example of what happens. What a pain. Sorry you had to deal with that.
Double R

Double R Ranch":1rxatojl said:
Welcome to california!! That is one reason I have started calving behind my house! City is getting to close and this is a direct example of what happens. What a pain. Sorry you had to deal with that.
Double R

No doubt about it... I left out the part about the young man who pulled in the driveway right after the animal control officer left... he wanted to advise me that I had a bull out in the pasture "with his intestines hanging out... it looks really bad" :shock:

Definitely will not be calving out in that pen next year... gheeze louise!

DavisBeefmasters":1i1y6guf said:
Double R Ranch":1i1y6guf said:
Double R

No doubt about it... I left out the part about the young man who pulled in the driveway right after the animal control officer left... he wanted to advise me that I had a bull out in the pasture "with his intestines hanging out... it looks really bad" :shock:

Definitely will not be calving out in that pen next year... gheeze louise!

I can not even comment! I am speachless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness! :shock: Well best of luck is all I can say! I know where you are located!
Double R

Your ranch is literally 45 minutes away or so... so I'm sure you deal with the same... I thought folks in Amador County were a little more cattle savvy... but obviously they have a little more learning to do.

Thanks Double R

DavisBeefmasters":2rl6xiq1 said:
Your ranch is literally 45 minutes away or so... so I'm sure you deal with the same... I thought folks in Amador County were a little more cattle savvy... but obviously they have a little more learning to do.

Thanks Double R

Unfortunitly we are in sacramento county. Used to be rural but isn't anymore. Yes we deal with it to but you are closer to an even slower group of people shall we say. Best of luck. Enjoy hearing from you.
Take care
Double R

I grew up in Sacto/Placer counties...
Back then there were more cows then people.
Didn't know there was any place left in Sac. co. for cows

Our ol cows are experienced mommas and do better if ya just leave them alone and let them do their job.

Cal

Latest posts