Cattle Udder/Large Teat

Help Support CattleToday:

MIZEGFZOU

Reaction score
I have a couple heifers that have just calved and they have one, and the other has two large teats. The first heifer teat has gone down in size since (calf born 9-1-20) but still bigger than her others. Heifer #2 has two large teats and the one has got smaller the other is pretty large (calf born on 9-9-20). Is this a major concern or is their a reason why this is happening? Thanks

In that situation you run the risk of mastitus (inflammation of the udder).

BUT -- in my experience with beef cows -- this isn't totally uncommon and it works itself out as the calf grows and takes larger feedings (a 2 week old calf is still pretty young).

Keep an eye on the heifers and the calves. I suspect you will be ok. Others may have different opinions.

The calves will generally suck them down in size as they grow older but it is a concern to have big teats on heifers. They generally get bigger every year of the cows life. Lots of good cows go to the packers because of oversized teats. They get to the point where a small newborn cannot get them in their mouth.

Baby calves will suck on the easiest one to get in their mouth. They will leave the bigger ones until they are not getting enough out of the small ones.

Agree that the calf will usually get around to nursing it down. Are they kicking the calves off when/if they try to nurse the large teat(s)? My concern is heifers having large teats - and of course the potential for mastitis. Are you talking the size of a sausage? I don't believe you're able to upload pics until after a certain number of posts but pics would be helpful.

Best way to tell is get the heifers in the chute and milk them. Should not be chunky or watery, teats & udder should not be hot to the touch.

bird dog said:
The calves will generally suck them down in size as they grow older but it is a concern to have big teats on heifers. They generally get bigger every year of the cows life. Lots of good cows go to the packers because of oversized teats. They get to the point where a small newborn cannot get them in their mouth.

Baby calves will suck on the easiest one to get in their mouth. They will leave the bigger ones until they are not getting enough out of the small ones.

You beat me to it!! ;-) :D

What bird dog said!!!!!

We don't know if their definition of big matches what more experienced folks call big. What they are seeing we might call "Nice".

With out a picture it's hard to comment either way.

Did you raise the heifers or buy them? What breed are they by chance?

If it's the start of a blown out teat it could be a genetic issue. If that is the case you are racing the clock in my experience. They may make it 10 years before it causes a problem or they may have issues next year. If you have some aggressive calves that jump up and suck that really helps. One lazy or sickly calf can do them in.

With the type of cattle we run we have to really watch their bags. We can actually get cows that way over produce milk. They can raise some huge calves but their bags and teats just get too big over time.

I had a cow with a border line bag this year that lost a calf. I sold her asap because not having a calf sucking was going to ruin her bag. I let her slide and didnt keep any heifers out of her for quite a few years because she raised some big uns.

A few years ago I put out 5 real nice F1 heifers on one place together. When they all calved one had a big bag for a heifer. She's on her fourth calf and her calves are in the top percent for lbs/day until weaning but she wont be a 15 or 20 year old calf producer. Eventually a calf will do her in and she will go to the sale while the other four keep on producing.

When I say big the #2 Heifer- Brangus has one that looks like a hot dog or bigger/ the other one is still big but not that big. They still point out real hard and stick outward if that makes sense. Heifer #1 my best looking heifer she is red but sire was black angus and mother is a dark red she came from the sale barn possibly red angus cross.
Heifers came from two different farms so that is why im hoping it's not genetic trait of all of them but they are my first two and only two to calve so far.
The calves seem to be going at them hard but the one gave up on #2 heifer's biggest teat after trying for a bit. What I am afraid of is what Bird Dog said by sending good ones to the packer due to the one being my best looking heifer. They both have decent size bags for heifer's #1 is big as a lot of grown cows. Other heifers in the group/ my father in laws don not have bags the size of my two but much smaller and their teats are small (his are all sim angus).
I have bought the heifers at 650 weights and have had them ever sense. I just didn't know if this was a send them straight to the sale barn scenario even if the teats go down in size or send them no matter what.
If Mastitis why would they be getting this and what to do about it? (out of 5 heifers between father in laws and mine; mine are the only two too have teats doing this).

Regardless of breed or origins poor udders and teats should never be tolerated and especially not in 1st CH's. Sooner rather than latter the female will cause financial grief.

Thanks everyone for the help! I will also take some pictures tonight to post on here if I am able to. Hoping everything thinks they aren't to big and but i'm afraid they will be.

76 Bar said:
Regardless of breed or origins poor udders and teats should never be tolerated and especially not in 1st CH's. Sooner rather than latter the female will cause financial grief.

I agree. Bad udders is one of the things I cull for, no questions asked, and I don't wait for them to get very bad either. When I notice one that looks like it's maybe going to go bad I let her raise the current calf, and then she's gone.

Okay, so hot dog size isn't scary for a cow but still big for a heifer. If the calves are aggressive, they'll eventually get around to the large teats. Or, get them in a chute and get the calf latched on.

Mastitis can be caused by a number of things: trauma, bacteria, letting another calf suck, etc. You can treat for mastitis but that's a temporary fix and will almost always only get worse. But big teats are a usually a genetic trait - and also get worse. Do you have the time & patience to help a calf nurse every year? And are ready for a potential bottle calf or a dink that's under nourished or a calf that may die if you don't realize in time it's not getting any/enough milk from mama?

Still would like pics for a better idea. And not trying to tell you to sell the heifers in question. I've had cows docile enough I could get their calf latched on in the pasture BUT eventually sold them because I don't have time for that kind of babysitting.

Rafter S said:
76 Bar said:

I agree. Bad udders is one of the things I cull for, no questions asked, and I don't wait for them to get very bad either. When I notice one that looks like it's maybe going to go bad I let her raise the current calf, and then she's gone.
Too many cows out there to keep a bad one year after year

I would not haul them right now. Personally, I would put a bull on them asap and get them bred back. I would wean the calf when it's time, palpate them, hold a month or two if need be, and sell them as heavy bred in the spring. Just my .02 how to maximize your dollar out of them.

bird dog said:
Don't waste a lot of time trying to post pictures until you have a few more posts. House rules. I ain't sure what the exact number is.

Just post 5 times in a row on this thread with a couple words in each until you reach the limit. We will all know what your doing. :D

That would make this a much simpler process.
Good news is I also had my 3rd calf of the year born. All 3 bull calves, and 4 more left to go. On the bright side the cow that had one yesterday does not have large teats.

Also I don't think they have bad udders, just a bad teat but does that cause bad udders?

Latest posts