Cattle Truths

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
If this is a re-post, I apologize.

A few cattle truths to remember:
You can't starve a profit out of your livestock, crops, or pasture.
Big cows need more feed to live than small cows.
High milking cows usually raise lower milking heifers.
Just because it's black doesn't mean it's Angus.
Your bull is the single biggest influencer of your genetics, but the cow is half of the equation, too.
It's easier to keep condition on a cow than to let her get thin, then try to put it back on, ESPECIALLY if she's nursing a calf.
Moderation in everything...milk production, growth, how quickly you jump to give a shot or pull a calf etc.
The quieter and calmer you are while working cattle, the quieter and calmer they will be.
A good vaccination and deworming regimen will ALWAYS bring a net return on investment, even if you're not smart enough to make it add profit on paper.
It's VERY hard to kill a mature cow in decent condition, don't panic at every limp or cough, but neither should you neglect your stock's health.
If your cattle are thin, you either need to buy feed (or hay) or sell cattle, sacrificing the welfare of an animal because of your emotional attachment and financial ineptitude is cruel and malicious.
In an emergency that you don't know how to handle, a call to your local vet or a rancher that you know is experienced is always a better decision than a question on social media.
The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked, but there are thousands of stupid answers for every good one.
Salebarns are a great, safe way to sell cattle and get a check today that is guaranteed to cash. How big the check is depends on a thousand factors that are out of your control, however.
What your cattle are worth to you and to potential customers is often different, either be willing to adjust once you've explored the market or accept that you won't get what you want out of them and keep them.
A good cowdog is worth at least 2 good cowboys on horses, most dogs aren't that good though.
A whip is a great tool, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't work through fear or pain (unless you're keeping a cow from eating you up).
Cattlemen are first and foremost grass farmers. Your cattle can only be as good as your feed resources. Lime and fertilizer according to a soil test will produce at least 5 times as much forage as the same amount of money spent on buying hay or feed.
Crossbreeding and hybrid vigor are great, but so is preserving the integrity of a breed and the data reported to a breed association.
If you don't spend more on a cow/heifer than you will get from the sale of 3 calves, chances are you've paid a fair price.
If you spend 3 times as much on your herd bull(s) as the average value of your best 3 cows, you'll always be making genetic progress (assuming the bull is actually worth what you paid).
EPDs are more accurate than actual weights and other data on an animal. (This is of course assuming that reported data is accurate)
Once again, YOU CANNOT STARVE A PROFIT OUT OF CATTLE, CROPS, OR PASTURE.
Cattlemen, true cattlemen, often care more about our animals and land than our own welfare and personal lives. It's not an easy calling, but its one which we love.

Very true on all of it, except when it mentions moderation and pulling a calf... I'd rather intervene early and give my self an idea of what's going on and have the benefit of time to think about how I'm going to deal with a problem (if there is one).

I like it anyhow!

Good stuff. One of those about 1/4 of the way down I heard my father say quite a few times, though he worded it a little different. He'd say "It's a lot easier to keep weight on a cow than it is to put it back on after she's lost it."

Ol' 243":24oyqaq6 said:
If this is a re-post, I apologize.

A few cattle truths to remember:
You can't starve a profit out of your livestock, crops, or pasture.
Big cows need more feed to live than small cows.
High milking cows usually raise lower milking heifers.
Just because it's black doesn't mean it's Angus.
Your bull is the single biggest influencer of your genetics, but the cow is half of the equation, too.
It's easier to keep condition on a cow than to let her get thin, then try to put it back on, ESPECIALLY if she's nursing a calf.
Moderation in everything...milk production, growth, how quickly you jump to give a shot or pull a calf etc.
The quieter and calmer you are while working cattle, the quieter and calmer they will be.
A good vaccination and deworming regimen will ALWAYS bring a net return on investment, even if you're not smart enough to make it add profit on paper.
It's VERY hard to kill a mature cow in decent condition, don't panic at every limp or cough, but neither should you neglect your stock's health.
If your cattle are thin, you either need to buy feed (or hay) or sell cattle, sacrificing the welfare of an animal because of your emotional attachment and financial ineptitude is cruel and malicious.
In an emergency that you don't know how to handle, a call to your local vet or a rancher that you know is experienced is always a better decision than a question on social media.
The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked, but there are thousands of stupid answers for every good one.
Salebarns are a great, safe way to sell cattle and get a check today that is guaranteed to cash. How big the check is depends on a thousand factors that are out of your control, however.
What your cattle are worth to you and to potential customers is often different, either be willing to adjust once you've explored the market or accept that you won't get what you want out of them and keep them.
A good cowdog is worth at least 2 good cowboys on horses, most dogs aren't that good though.
A whip is a great tool, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't work through fear or pain (unless you're keeping a cow from eating you up).
Cattlemen are first and foremost grass farmers. Your cattle can only be as good as your feed resources. Lime and fertilizer according to a soil test will produce at least 5 times as much forage as the same amount of money spent on buying hay or feed.
Crossbreeding and hybrid vigor are great, but so is preserving the integrity of a breed and the data reported to a breed association.
If you don't spend more on a cow/heifer than you will get from the sale of 3 calves, chances are you've paid a fair price.
If you spend 3 times as much on your herd bull(s) as the average value of your best 3 cows, you'll always be making genetic progress (assuming the bull is actually worth what you paid).
EPDs are more accurate than actual weights and other data on an animal. (This is of course assuming that reported data is accurate)
Once again, YOU CANNOT STARVE A PROFIT OUT OF CATTLE, CROPS, OR PASTURE.
Cattlemen, true cattlemen, often care more about our animals and land than our own welfare and personal lives. It's not an easy calling, but its one which we love.

All of it true but the one I highlighted is the one I have no tolerance for on this board. You see it all the time where someone asks about an animal that has some malady and they refuse to get professional advice from a vet. Caustic has a saying that goes something like this. "Keep feed in front of the cow and a bull behind."

lavacarancher":19cuef95 said:
Caustic has a saying that goes something like this. "Keep feed in front of the cow and a bull behind."

Grass in front, bull behind.

One of my Caustic faves is the one about the dog barking to feel it's butt-hole wiggle. (dun commented on that one recently)

:bang: if you really get mad watch F---B--- page on cattle they try everything under the sun even treat for 5 diffrent things.wait for 5 dozzen post and week latter they call a vet just to get mad at him because its to late to do anything for it !
soo many bottle calves people panic comen shiping fever!! it is a bottle calf for crying out loud it was shiped to sale young an they loaded it an shiped it home ,they will waste hundreds of dollars on them buy 3 and one lives ! :deadhorse: :bang:
but they are so proud they have 1 calf outa 3 :bang:

I agree with everything you said 243. Almost. The one about lime and fertilizer. 100% true. Unless it won't rain. Man it's dry here. Good post. Very good post.

Nesikep":2iieoe8d said:
Very true on all of it, except when it mentions moderation and pulling a calf... I'd rather intervene early and give my self an idea of what's going on and have the benefit of time to think about how I'm going to deal with a problem (if there is one).

I like it anyhow!