Cattle Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

B&W turnover gooseneck hitches installed around here for about $300-$400. Normally a bumper hitch will have lighter axles too so even if you have the room to haul several cows you might not have the axles to do it. If only hauling lightweight calves then no problem. I personally have a 16' goose that I'll never sell for the convenience and the fact that I don't have much at all in it. I do plan on buying a 24' or at a minimum 20'X7' in the future though as we move two different sets of cows a couple of times a year to lease places and with the 16' that means several trips.

we have some bumper trailers but for the most part gooseneck is the way to go and a B&W is the hitch you want. your truck should handle any 20 gn trailer there is and be alot safer than a bumper pull.

I am glad to hear a gooseneck setup is much less than the local ford dealer told me ($1,000 or so). Not so glad I don't trust my ford dealer as much now!

i don't know how much you like to do this kind of work but installing a b&w is not a big job we have done my dodge and dads chevy and there is not alot to it.so that is another way of saving on the gn hitch

Goodlife":2ok2332a said:
I am glad to hear a gooseneck setup is much less than the local ford dealer told me ($1,000 or so). Not so glad I don't trust my ford dealer as much now!
alot of what gooseneck hitches cost depends on where you go to install it.my buddy had 1 installed last year for i think $500.

denvermartinfarms":2r833btj said:
i don't know how much you like to do this kind of work but installing a b&w is not a big job we have done my dodge and dads chevy and there is not alot to it.so that is another way of saving on the gn hitch

Whether I like to do it or not I try to do as much as I can. It is hard enough to keep a head above water as it is. For this job would I need to use a torch to a hole through the bed, or a welder to attach gn hitch? I don't have the tools for that. If I don't need a cutting torch or welder I would do it on my own.

I like a plate with a ball on it. I don't like the hitches with moving parts, and they are much easier to install.

Bigfoot":hoh43sab said:
I like a plate with a ball on it. I don't like the hitches with moving parts, and they are much easier to install.

I like to be able to turn the ball over and get it out of the way when hauling other items. The ball itself is pulled completely out of the sleeve and turned upside down and secured with a pin so this particular hitch would have no actual moving parts.

Goodlife":2q766lp2 said:
denvermartinfarms":2q766lp2 said:

Whether I like to do it or not I try to do as much as I can. It is hard enough to keep a head above water as it is. For this job would I need to use a torch to a hole through the bed, or a welder to attach gn hitch? I don't have the tools for that. If I don't need a cutting torch or welder I would do it on my own.

Use a holesaw. It leaves a much cleaner cut. Buy a plate with a ball that's not removable or the fold over. They run about $120 from tractor supply for a basic none removeable plate style. I have one that slides up and down. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head. It's a pain in the butt to move so it stays up all the time.

I second the hole saw, and a ball in he bed stinks. The flip up balls are not as good as the pin in ball.
Don't leave the ball in the hitch all the time, dirt and rust makes it hard to get the ball loose.

Latest posts