Cattle Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Jdwest

Reaction score
Could I safely pull a 28ft steel cattle trailer with a 3/4 ton truck? Would there be a lot of sway when passing semis and would I be getting pushed around a lot? I have seen it done before but I would like to here from people who either have done this or are currently doing it.

I pull a 20' with a 3/4 ton, and when it's loaded that's all I want. Of course the truck is a 2000 model, so that might have something to do with it.

Yes, it will pull it. I'd make sure the trailer brakes are in top working condition though.

What kind of truck is it? I would be nervous if its one of those 3/4 gas fords that have the 5.?L in it. You could get them with the same gas motor as in the 1/2 tons.

There is no difference between a 3/4 ton or 1 ton as far as power to pull or brakes to stop on the newer trucks.

If you pack it tight with cattle I bet you will bottom out your 3/4 ton. You may need overload springs or air bags. There is a lot of tongue weight with a 28'. A loaded 24' will put me a hair above the bump stops.

JW IN VA":32ns6y75 said:
My late cousin used to say"it's not what you can pull-it's what you can stop".
:nod: :nod: YEp I've pulled a 32 ft with a 3/4 ton easy enough. Had to look way down the road and plan ahead to ever stop it though.

Most newer trucks the brakes are the same on the 3/4 ton as the 1 ton trucks. Only difference is if you get a dually then you get that extra set of tires out back.

If it were me, I would not pull anything more than a 20 foot behind a 3/4 ton.

If you go over 20 foot, I would rather have the dual's of a 1-ton to try to stop the thing.

I've never pulled a 28' to speak of, but a couple of trailer dealers that I know and trust have always told me that a 28' triple axle works better on a single wheel truck than a 24' tandem axle (especially a wider one). They say that the triple axle takes a lot of weight off the truck and will pull better and they consider it safer. They both also said that a 6'8" (or wider) x 24' trailer is much harder on tires, because you can simply get so much weight on them. I do believe that, because I went with a 6' x 24' last time because I was driving a 3/4 ton truck, and hauling in and out of a sale barn every week, I knew it would get fully loaded regularly, so I went with a 6' wide because I figured that was plenty of weight for the 3/4 ton. I know that tires hold up a lot longer on the 6 wide than on my previous 6'8" x 24', and the other wider 24's I've been around. If I wanted more than a 6' x 24', especially to pull with a single wheel truck, I'd have to look hard at a 28' triple axle.

A guy I know had a single wheel three quarter ton truck under a 28'. He wasn't a jockey, but he bought and hauled several loads a year. He traded to a one ton dually due to the truck walking too much in hills and curves. Flat ground you may not have too much trouble.

roll. I pull a 28 ft enclosed car hauler with a pulling truck and all the crap that goes to the races all over the place. weight distributing hitch..git er done

Latest posts