Cattle terms Decoder Ring?

Help Support CattleToday:

txfishing

Reaction score
Okay this may sound kinda silly, but I need some help on finding out what all those terms on an auction report mean when classifying cattle.

Can someone please explain what kind of cattle (weight,age, etc...) meet these catagories? I'de like to get a handle on this, that way I know what to expect when selling off cows at the auction one day.

1. Stocker Cows
2. Fancy Cows

Under slaughter catagory
3. Fat Cows
4. Canner Cows
5. Cutter Cows
6. Heavy Bulls
7. Light Bulls

Under Cow Calf pairs
8. Choice Pairs
9. Good Pairs
10. Plain Pairs

Thanks!
txfishing

The United States Department of Agriculture, known as the USDA, inspects and grades meats based on nationally uniform Federal standards of excellence. These standards are applied by USDA graders, who then are monitored by supervisors who travel throughout the United States to make sure that all graders are applying the standards in a uniform manner. A cut of meat with USDA approval must meet the same grade criteria no matter where or when you buy it. Each USDA beef grade is a measure of quality. There are eight USDA grades, Prime, Choice, Select, Standard, Commercial, Utility, Cutter and Canner.

Prime, the highest grade of meat, is of course the most expensive. Prime grade beef is supreme in tenderness, juiciness and taste. It is rich with marbling -- flecks of fat within the lean -- which enhances both flavor and juiciness. Prime roasts and steaks are unexcelled for dry-heat cooking such as roasting and broiling.

Choice grade beef has less marbling than Prime, but is of very high quality. It is easier to find at your local market and is a little easier on your wallet. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy and flavorful and are suited to dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts, such as those from the rump, round and blade chuck, can also be cooked with dry heat.

Select grade beef, sometimes known as Good grade, is very uniform in quality and somewhat leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. Only the tender cuts should be cooked with dry heat. Other cuts should be marinated before cooking or cooked with moisture to obtain maximum tenderness and flavor.

Standard grade beef is from low-quality young animals, with a very thin fat covering and virtually no marbling. The youth of the animals gives the grade a bland flavor and tenderness cannot be counted on. Use moist heat cooking methods only.

Commercial and Utility grade beef comes from old animals. Maturity and fat content give these grade good flavor but are tough, even when cooked properly.

Cutter and Canner grades are seldom, if ever, sold in stores but are used instead to make ground beef and other meat items such as frankfurters.

Besides being graded, meats can also be marked with another USDA stamp, the Yield number. The Yield number indicates in increasing proportion from 1 to 5 the amount of excess fat content or waste. The usual yield number available in most stores is Yield 2. When buying meat the smallest percentage of bone and fat make the best buys and the price per pound may go down for bonier cuts with more fat.

The USDA will also inspect meat and label it as Kosher, or "clean" meat. This means the jugular vein has been removed to drain the blood of the animal at the time of slaughter. The Kosher stamp will also guarantee the freshness of the meat, as ritual demands, it needs to be eaten within 72 hours after the slaughter.

txfishing":2zyzpw5q said:
Okay this may sound kinda silly, but I need some help on finding out what all those terms on an auction report mean when classifying cattle.

Can someone please explain what kind of cattle (weight,age, etc...) meet these catagories? I'de like to get a handle on this, that way I know what to expect when selling off cows at the auction one day.

1. Stocker Cows
2. Fancy Cows

Under slaughter catagory
3. Fat Cows
4. Canner Cows
5. Cutter Cows
6. Heavy Bulls
7. Light Bulls

Under Cow Calf pairs
8. Choice Pairs
9. Good Pairs
10. Plain Pairs

Thanks!
txfishing

OK people, correct me if I am wrong.

To my knowledge different stockyards could have different exact definitions. But this is what they mean to me.

Generally speaking a stocker cow is beef, while a fancy is a breed specific, genetically identified animal or superior anmimal, appropriate for use as a replacement. A fat cow is a fed cow, Canner and cutter are utility grades. Heavy and light merely refers to weight. Choice, good or plain pairs refers to exaclty that, how they are rated when divided into groups, choice being highest and plain being lowest.

You're on track - the problem being this: grade 'em yourself.

When an old cow gets sold, they're not going to say this is a cutter cow or a canner cow - she's just gonna get sold. Most go to packers including fancy or 'white cows' - these are just better cows but they are still mostly going to packers.
When it comes to selling old cows, there's usually not much difference in price from worst to first - except when you get into shelly cows or otherwise crippled cows.
You really need to attend a few sales to get the hang of it.

Bullbuyer":18v7lpmv said:

When an old cow gets sold, they're not going to say this is a cutter cow or a canner cow - she's just gonna get sold. Most go to packers including fancy or 'white cows' - these are just better cows but they are still mostly going to packers.
When it comes to selling old cows, there's usually not much difference in price from worst to first - except when you get into shelly cows or otherwise crippled cows.

Yeah, I think CB went into all that. I was just trying to give a more general term specific answer without getting into exacts. IMO and experience, as soon as you say somehting is a certain way and not anothr you will learn five exceptions to the rule. :lol:

Bullbuyer":psj2ch7v said:

Bullbuyer the term white cows is not heard much anymore, I remember ROTFLMAO when an old auctioneer a while back hollered boys now this is a bunch of white cows. A guy in the row back stated there is not one white cow out there. He just couldn't figure out why people were staring at him.

Thanks! That clarifies it alot for me.

One of the many reason I asked was because, My dad has a pair of 2 1/2 year old herford X cows that were not able to get pregnant like the others in the herd using the same bull. They all were exposed to the bull at the exact same time at about the same age ( 17 months old ). All of the other cows have already calved several months ago. They are in very good shape, I aproximate their weight to be around 900-1100 pounds, but still no calves.

So without an actual picture to look at what catagory would a well fed 2.5 year old heifer fall under at the auction?

Thanks!

Your 2.5 yr old fleshy cows would sell on the top end of kill cows. Hamburger type.

mnmt

Caustic Burno":2tkgo9cp said:
Bullbuyer":2tkgo9cp said:

Bullbuyer the term white cows is not heard much anymore, I remember ROTFLMAO when an old auctioneer a while back hollered boys now this is a bunch of white cows. A guy in the row back stated there is not one white cow out there. He just couldn't figure out why people were staring at him.

To be perfectly honest, the only place I know that still uses the term "white cow" is in Pennsylvania and some of the Amish areas of Ohio. Actually, they still list white cows in the stockyard reports from some of these areas.
Certainly just a regional thing.

Hippie Rancher":cwq9vwv7 said:
Never heard the term "white cows" Interesting - wonder what the history is?
White cows are just fat utility cows that have been fed long enough for the fat to turn white. They're called that because when you pull the hide off, you're left with a white cow hanging from the rail.

Latest posts