Cattle Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Eve Dallas

Reaction score
Hi,

I have nothing to do with farming but I was on my cousin's farm just recently. Well her next door neighbour has a cattle farm and said that one of his cattle was bleeding out of its mouth and died instantly on the spot. When he opened her up he noticed that the lungs were way over-sized. He said that he has never come across this. I am in New Zealand where our cattle and dairy are above average. Would anyone know what would be the cause of this. I have looked everywhere for an answer.

Eve

Sounds like it could be Clostridium related. There are many different strains of which some are location specific. If possible cut a chunk of meat out (wear gloves and a mask) save it in a cooler box on ice and take it to a vet ASAP to have it sent to a labratory that can isolate the strain or find other potential causes. Then your vet can suggest a vaccination protocol to prevent future losses. Typically Clostridium related deaths aren't isolated cases so acting quickly can potentially prevent very costly losses.

Thanks heaps, I have passed this on to my cousin to pass on to her neighbour.

:D

Eve

I have only just found out it was a bull and its lungs was 3 times larger than normal.

Any thoughts on that?

Eve