cattle proposition

Help Support CattleToday:

what ever you do make sure you talk to each other about what ever you do and you both agree. Whether it be friend, family, or wife. You should all agree on all things if not it doesn't need to happen. Can't do a partner thing if your partner doesn't agree. If it takes a contract or a noterized piece of paper then that is what you need to have to save you both a headache.

Been there and done that! Meaning, the "partnership" deal with family. I was in partners with family for about 15 years on a herd of cattle. Broke up the partnership 3 1/2 years ago, sold all the cattle and equipment. Best move I was ever involved in. I am just now getting back into the cattle business again and the ONLY partner this ol' boy is ever gonna have is my wife! I would not recommend a partnership with family on cattle to anyone. Too many issues arrive out of it that are not pleasant to deal with. Just my opinion, but a very strong one!

Almost lost my best friend when my brother-in-law and I went into the cattle business togrther! Stay away from family business deals; you can't just walk away from a family partner.

if i were you i would listen to these posts.. from first hand experience it is hard to do business with family. the business lines get blurred really bad and it sure makes family get togethers awkward. i aint you, but listen to the voices of experience, someone (i dont remember who) had a good idea..you do your end and then if he wants to buy them then sell them to him and let him finish the deal that he wanted to do...

best of luck samm

milkmaid":2e20n0pl said:
SimmAngus":2e20n0pl said:
Go ahead and buy the 25 calves, take them to 250lbs on your own, and then sell them to your cousin. Solves many issues, and if your cousin changes his mind you have 6250lbs of feeder cattle to sell at the sale barn.

Now that sounds much better. :)

But...if you haven't raised bottle calves before, I wouldn't start with 25. Start smaller and gradually work your way up as you gain experience.

I have raised bottle calves several times and I am currently raising a few now, but this was not going to be all 25 at one time. It was going to be 25 over the course of a year, about two or three per month, but after reading all of the negative posibilities and experiences, this will be the last thing I do. I will just raise them myself and sell him some if he wants. Thanks for all of the advice.

Bulldog

Bulldog a partner is a good idea, but look at it this way the profit at 700lbs split in half is not enough for your labor for weining bottle calves. when your partner gets the cattle at his place the labor{or most of it} is already done. yea sure there is days that nothing goes right but most days nothing goes wrong and you go on with your day. i think your cut should be more around 55-60% and if you the math on that he is'nt going to like it very much. yall would do better{at least around here} to sell off at around 450-550lbs and both of you split the care. i'm sorry i just dont see myself caring for a bottle calve and just branging $400

TheLazyM":2xorpz1v said:
Bulldog a partner is a good idea, but look at it this way the profit at 700lbs split in half is not enough for your labor for weining bottle calves. when your partner gets the cattle at his place the labor{or most of it} is already done. yea sure there is days that nothing goes right but most days nothing goes wrong and you go on with your day. i think your cut should be more around 55-60% and if you the math on that he is'nt going to like it very much. yall would do better{at least around here} to sell off at around 450-550lbs and both of you split the care. i'm sorry i just dont see myself caring for a bottle calve and just branging $400

I see what you are saying, and I have already decided against this idea. The only thing that I was thinking of was, I dont have sufficient pasture here. I only have small 1 acre or so lots for the calves after they get out of the bottle feeding pens. I am going to look at renting some pasture land for these calves after they get to 200 or so pounds to put them into until sale time. I was thinking that in the long run it would probobally cost me more by the time I fertilized and limed, fixed any down fence etc.

Bulldog

bulldog":bj158uju said:
TheLazyM":bj158uju said:

I see what you are saying, and I have already decided against this idea.
Bulldog

Yea sorry bro i totally missed this 2nd page. on that acre you ought to be able to raise 3 bottle calves easy. it just takes working every day on house keeping to keep the place healthy. you could step it up to maybe 6 if you got the time to keep up with them. you can do really well in buying bottle calves and selling them at 6 months. thats 12 a year if you got a couple hrs a day to put into them and you'll probally clear $300-$400 each.

TheLazyM":1q0b92ez said:
bulldog":1q0b92ez said:
TheLazyM":1q0b92ez said:

I see what you are saying, and I have already decided against this idea.
Bulldog

Yea sorry bro i totally missed this 2nd page. on that acre you ought to be able to raise 3 bottle calves easy. it just takes working every day on house keeping to keep the place healthy. you could step it up to maybe 6 if you got the time to keep up with them. you can do really well in buying bottle calves and selling them at 6 months. thats 12 a year if you got a couple hrs a day to put into them and you'll probally clear $300-$400 each.

I believe thats what I am going to do, only makes since now. I found a 10 acre pasture that is coming open in the summer, and I plan on renting that. This will help alot, I figure I could run 10 200 pounders on there along with a little hay and grain until they get up to about 5 or 6 hundred lbs. then sale. What cha think?? I am staying away from family as far as business goes.

[/quote]
believe thats what I am going to do, only makes since now. I found a 10 acre pasture that is coming open in the summer, and I plan on renting that. This will help alot, I figure I could run 10 200 pounders on there along with a little hay and grain until they get up to about 5 or 6 hundred lbs. then sale. What cha think?? I am staying away from family as far as business goes.[/quote]

i think that will work. some will agree with me some will not, but depending when your calves reach 400-500lbs you can put more money into them to get the another 200lbs than the 200lbs will brang you in return. i like to get the grazers gone before the grass quicts growing so i can spread some dap and ammonia nitrate, just to make sure i have a good stand for the next grazers. but then i dont keep no animal longer than 12 months either. I think you got your self a sound idea and really looking forward of you threads of how its coming together. i love watching new opparations going up.

Your Idea to rent your own pasture and have 1/2 as many calves you will end up making the same amount most likely more.

I had a very good friend note I said had.In the fall of 1995 he wanted to sell 25 bred cow's for $550 each I told him I did'nt have enough money to buy them so he made me a deal to finance them $3000 down and yearly payment's for 3 years at 10% interest.Well I made every payment on time but he would call every month or so and say (you know I should have never sold those cows if you think you can't make the payment I will take them back) Well I still have some of those cows but they are getting old and have lot's of daughter's but I am short a Very Good Friend.I still get along with him but not anything like before this deal.Money deals with family and friends never work out someone alway's feel's like they got screwed....

I wouldn't do it. Sounds like cuz wants you to do the hard part. It's not much trouble to take care of 250lb'ers. Usually when somebody else is buying the feed the deal tends to turn out that they want a bigger part of the profit than the 50% you agreed on.

I have been in partnership with my brother for over 40 years. You have to be willing to give and take. Try it. It might just work.

In the past I have had both a wife and a partner, both of them ripped me off. The wife made off with a lot more than the partner. I also have a number of cousins. I never went into business with any of them and I still have the cousins but no wife or partner.
Don't go into business with relatives.
Dave

Latest posts