Cattle Prod

Help Support CattleToday:

josh90

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on what the best hot stick is. I've been looking at the Springer Magrath(Yellow) and the Sharp Shock. Is the Hot Shot DuraProd that much better to be almost double the price of the two previously mentioned?

Best one is the one with new batteries. I've never seen one that didn't do the job as long as it had juice. I use a plain old red hotshot.

Haven't used one in 15 years. Every once in a while one would have changed their stubborn minds a bit quicker but a 1 inch persimmon stick works just fine for me.

I don't use one often but I have a stubborn dairy bull that could use some encouragement sometimes. I also raise hogs and goats. I'm looking for one that will hold up and last more than a couple of years.

JMJ Farms":1fi0vzph said:
Best one is the one with new batteries. I've never seen one that didn't do the job as long as it had juice. I use a plain old red hotshot.

Agreed. I use a Springer with the longest possible length, I think 48", to avoid getting kicked and to prod an animal that is in front of the one I am behind.

Aaron":2qonebtz said:
JMJ Farms":2qonebtz said:

Agreed. I use a Springer with the longest possible length, I think 48", to avoid getting kicked and to prod an animal that is in front of the one I am behind.

Has the Springer held up good for you? I've heard they're weaker than the others.

bird dog":20mirias said:
Just don't buy one made in China. I use a green Hot Shot...sparingly.

How well has the Green Hot Shot held up for you? Does anyone know the differences in the green, red, and yellow dura prod? I've noticed the green, red, yellow dura prod, and yellow Springer are all by Miller MFG.

josh90":219cwzfs said:
Aaron":219cwzfs said:
JMJ Farms":219cwzfs said:

Has the Springer held up good for you? I've heard they're weaker than the others.

Yep. Replaced the rod once because I went to give a cow a smack, rather than zap, and hit a metal panel with it in cold weather, snapping off one of the prongs. Local farm store always keeps a replacement rod in stock, so it's an easy fix. I went with Springer in the first place based on lots of good reviews and being made in USA.

bird dog":1biz393z said:
Just don't buy one made in China. I use a green Hot Shot...sparingly.
I use a green hot shot on the dairy. I'm not sure how old it is but it doesn't work real well anymore (Though it's probably used a lot more then most of you use yours)

Josh, I am not 100% sure but I think the newer reds are of lesser quality and maybe voltage. Green are next and then the yellows.

I have had my green one about 6 years. No problems so far. I see a lot of green ones at the sale barn and they use them more in one day than I do in a career. I try to avoid using them but sometimes its the most humane way to get an animal to move.

I have a good red hot shot. It's a good one in that it is still working for the fourth year. Believe it or not, the only cows I periodically use it on are a handful of fairly large Simmy cows that are dog gentle. They are just too big and strong for me to push and pull on. I only grab it when I'm moving them thru the alleys and chute, and rarely have to push the button...just tap them and they remember the time I hit them with the juice.

Does anyone know the difference in the green one and the Springer? Both are made by Miller MFG and cost about the same.

If you gotta have one, you really need one that works. I've had a hot shot for years. Sometimes I used it

Hook2.0":34s0yomh said:
Haven't had to use one in 5 years. Sorting stick or a bamboo stick work well, and if one doesn't want to move up twisting the tail usually works.
Agree with the sorting stick and tail twist. Don't own a hot stick and don't plan to. Old timer told me years ago when getting into the cow business to treat the animals how you would be treated and they'll never need a hot stick. I've seen too many over the years make good cows go bad by using a hot stick.

kilroy60":3kmttzzx said:
Hook2.0":3kmttzzx said:
Haven't had to use one in 5 years. Sorting stick or a bamboo stick work well, and if one doesn't want to move up twisting the tail usually works.
Agree with the sorting stick and tail twist. Don't own a hot stick and don't plan to. Old timer told me years ago when getting into the cow business to treat the animals how you would be treated and they'll never need a hot stick. I've seen too many over the years make good cows go bad by using a hot stick.
Never seen that play out here. We use a hotshot as needed every time we work cows. Most seem to understand when I pat their but with the hotshot and tell them "let's go" that it's time to move.

Only time I ever need a hotshot is unloading at the butcher. Have had a few times where the steers would absolutely NOT come off the trailer for love nor money. Canes, rattle paddle, even getting up in there and cranking tails. Had to hit 1 or 2 with the fire stick. Never had a dark cutter, but always deliver to facility the day before killing.
99% of the time, my hotshot has dead batteries in it.

bball":1es50fpj said:
Only time I ever need a hotshot is unloading at the butcher. Have had a few times where the steers would absolutely NOT come off the trailer for love nor money. Canes, rattle paddle, even getting up in there and cranking tails. Had to hit 1 or 2 with the fire stick. Never had a dark cutter, but always deliver to facility the day before killing.
99% of the time, my hotshot has dead batteries in it.
True! They smell it, they just know their time is up. Even super docile cows turn bat shyt crazy when we've taken them in for processing. Can't say I blame them.

Used the same green hot shot for 4 years fighting pigs, and it's still kickin. That's ruffer work than it would ever see with cattle.
Once the animal learns what that little clicking noise means, they will move without even having to zap them with it.

Latest posts