Cattle Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

42acres

Reaction score
What are the main factors that drive cattle prices? What are the circumstances driving cattle prices down in the southeast now?

Supply and demand. Whenever pricing on anything falls, it's because there's either more people selling or less people buying or some combination of the two.

Drought (a key issue in GA) and feed scarcity (costs) push people to sell (supply goes up) instead of retain or buy (demand goes down). Further, cost of everything is on the rise so household disposable income is down so follows beef consumption. Demand is down. This is further complicated by inability to reopen much of the Asian beef markets and a myriad of other global factors.

But it comes down to there's more people selling than buying.

Just do what I have for the last thirty years buy high and sell low.
There are so many factors from regional, fuel, feed, imports, economy and supply and demand.

Caustic Burno":3s7zvyot said:

:lol:

I've been working that angle myself. Everyone says I'm nuts, but I'm sure if I just keep at it long enough it will all pay off!!

Southern calves have always been discounted for the extra costs of hauling to feedlots-- but its even more pronounced lately with diesel prices.
And the local market is hurt because of the stress of short local feed supplies due to the drought and the high costs of feed hauled in.

Caustic Burno":qrfdvsr5 said:
There are so many factors from regional, fuel, feed, imports, economy and supply and demand.

I have been told this by people just like you for 40+ years. Check they own more than 51% of the bank they use. Don't worry Bush's hand out is on its way.

One thing that really seems to have an effect on the calf market is when I decide to sell mine. I can pretty much figure that whatever the market reports say will be reduced by $10 to $20 on the day my calves go through. Sometimes I wonder if the sale barns are really being totally honest in their reports.........

Jim62":c2nlhaqo said:
One thing that really seems to have an effect on the calf market is when I decide to sell mine. I can pretty much figure that whatever the market reports say will be reduced by $10 to $20 on the day my calves go through. Sometimes I wonder if the sale barns are really being totally honest in their reports.........

I recently talked with a rep from one of the larger salebarns in the area. He said that the market prices that they give are for larger groups, 5-10 and under sized lots aren;t even kept track of for the sales report records. That's the reason that what you get for calves may not even look like the salesreport figures. We sold some calves a couple of weeks ago. The one steer sold for higher then the salesreport figures, the 4 heifers sold for less.

42acres":frrcoiai said:
Please explain your buy high and sell low strategy.

Always buy cattle at a higher altitude above sea level then you sell. That's why I try to buy as much stuff as I can in Colorado and like to sell in LA or FL. Something my grandad taught me.

Always buy cattle at a higher altitude above sea level then you sell. That's why I try to buy as much stuff as I can in Colorado and like to sell in LA or FL. Something my grandad taught me.[/quote]

:| :D :lol2: :clap:

Angus/Brangus":48ck210x said:
angus9259":48ck210x said:
42acres":48ck210x said:
Please explain your buy high and sell low strategy.

Always buy cattle at a higher altitude above sea level then you sell. That's why I try to buy as much stuff as I can in Colorado and like to sell in LA or FL. Something my grandad taught me.

Over here we buy from the left and sell to the right :shock: Works every time.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Which direction are you facing when you do that?

:clap: :clap: :???:

Over here we buy from the left and sell to the right :shock: Works every time.[/quote]

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Which direction are you facing when you do that?

:clap: :clap: :???:[/quote]
Good question.

Two guys were hauling cattle to Texas and lost money on every load. After scratching their heads for awhile, they decided what they needed was a bigger truck. Sounds like everyone needs a bigger truck!

Green Creek":2azt0267 said:
Two guys were hauling cattle to Texas and lost money on every load. After scratching their heads for awhile, they decided what they needed was a bigger truck. Sounds like everyone needs a bigger truck!

Like the brothers that went into the cattle feeding business. One stole the cattle, the other stole the feed and they only lost 20 bucks a head

Correct--but supply and demand of all inputs too. Currently, the high price of grains and the demand for biofuel feedstocks impacts all animal protein. The issue of the southeast is transportation and logistical costs. I use to buy feeders from FL, VA, NC and send them to westerm feedlots after conditioning in IL. This is no longer a viable business option because of the extended costs and price risks.

Latest posts