Cattle Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40

Reaction score
Sold an open 1200 lb cow yesterday for the most I have ever sold one for at the stockyard.
1200 lbs at $74.5 for $894
I may be able to buy a ton of fertilizer now.

yes the cull prices are up.here awhile back we sold 1125lb freemartin crazy heifer for $57.50

Saw a couple of packers bring $55 last week too. Only 3 weeks ago it took a good one to bring in the high 40's. Heavy bulls were selling well also.

We have been seeing 1800-2000+ bulls bringing from $70 up to $83 the past couple of weeks

Diehard40":2voqt98c said:
We have been seeing 1800-2000+ bulls bringing from $70 up to $83 the past couple of weeks

That is more in line with what I have seen. The little sale in Meridian is available on the web. We are still short on cattle around here and there are not many coming through the sale barns. Packer bulls were $67.5- $73.5 last week. You can check it at http://www.mlslivestock.com/new_page_6.htm

Dublin has a big sale but they don't put any info on line. You have to go to see and I have sat through a 20 hour sale once. Most of the time 8 hours is about all I can take.

I drove several hours to go that Meridian sale several years ago because I heard it was a good sale. Once I got there turned out 2/3 of the cows and calves in the sale belonged to the guy that owned the sale. Had a big angus operation. As best I remember they sold pretty good tho.

TexasBred":25fst2it said:
I drove several hours to go that Meridian sale several years ago because I heard it was a good sale. Once I got there turned out 2/3 of the cows and calves in the sale belonged to the guy that owned the sale. Had a big angus operation. As best I remember they sold pretty good tho.

The angus hurt him. I don't know why he doesn't go with brangus since they do well in this climate.

He's decent enough and runs a straight forward business. A friend of mine is good friends with Mike and speaks well of him. Dublin set up shop kind of in his back yard and they are huge. Someone ran several lots of brangus through Mike's barn two years back. I happened to be there without a trailer. Had to make a trip afterwards. Glad I was there when they came through.

I'm glad to hear cull cow prices are up. Gonna have to thin out my deadbeats to help with the high cost of grain. Last month my grain bill went up $400, plus milk prices have fallen a bit, so I have to cut the herd some to help with the increases.

Gail

GMN":2mhzlaeg said:
I'm glad to hear cull cow prices are up. Gonna have to thin out my deadbeats to help with the high cost of grain. Last month my grain bill went up $400, plus milk prices have fallen a bit, so I have to cut the herd some to help with the increases.

Gail

Most everyone around here culled to the bone in '05. Now good cattle are hard to come by. I actually wish I hadn't culled so hard.

Most everyone around here culled to the bone in '05. Now good cattle are hard to come by. I actually wish I hadn't culled so hard.[/quote]

Whoda thunk it. In '05 I sold out in rememberance of the drought of the '50s and '60s. You just can't tell. :cry:

BusterBrown":3jl4uvi2 said:
Whoda thunk it. In '05 I sold out in rememberance of the drought of the '50s and '60s. You just can't tell. :cry:

Prices were decent. That was the only good part about selling. It was so dry here that cactus died. Every step a cow took resulted in dirt blowing in the wind. The river flooded from rains north of here but we didn't get any. The lower flood plain receded and I had hay. The upper flood plains were irrigated and that cost $32 a bale. Some hay tested at 18% protein but there just wasn't a lot of it.

Latest posts