cattle medication gun

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
ive been trying to find one.....but cant seem to find one other than one on a vet website for 400 dolars so if anyone knows a website please tell...thanks

no its a co2 powered rifle that shoots a dart that holds medicine....it saves from having to get them up or run them through the shut just shoot, and wait for the dart to fall out

Oh, you mean a dart gun. The prices are more reasonable here:

http://www.pneudart.com/

They have packages too:

http://shop.pneudart.com/cattle/

package%20-%20176b%20ct%20med%20range.png

Your cattle would need to be calm enough to walk up to them and not get upset if you reach towards them with something that looks like a sorting stick.

Dixieangus":3mnsts19 said:
no its a co2 powered rifle that shoots a dart that holds medicine....it saves from having to get them up or run them through the shut just shoot, and wait for the dart to fall out

Woops ya little different.

I ordered one of the pneu-dart guns a couple weeks ago, one that uses the .22 blank cartridges. They can also be adjusted for distance.

I've used the ones attached to tanks that shoot a medicated bullet, which limit you to what medications they are making in the bullet form and they are expensive, like $1500 for the gun and tanks.

I've also used the CO2 charged dart guns and they were okay but you had to wait for the darts to fall out and they distance wasn't always the best.

I ordered on because a guy I know who takes care of several thousand stocker cattle a year, pretty much by himself, had one and said it was the best one he's seen and it saves him a bunch of time.

Dixieangus":3070mr87 said:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/medidart/specifications.html

what do yall think of the extension kit at the bottom

this is one like my dad uses. he just rides up to the cow or steer on a horse and sticks them. dont have a problem with them getting wild from it at all mostly cause they are used to horses riding all over in them to begin with so dont think to much of it. i spose if your cattle were used to you walking through them that would work too. i will say though father in law has the crossbow. chased after a cow and a bull and shot them. both right in the ass and now those 2 see a 4wheeler coming and you wont get close to them. i think if he would have drove up to them in a pickup and done it while in a group they wouldve been better. like anything its way you handle them i guess.

Used the Medidart bow, and still do. Only problems are : If you have to do multiple usuage that cow gets wise to the process... The other is the subQ aspect does not work woth a darn. The intermusclar work fine

houstoncutter":3b0aoa1v said:
Used the Medidart bow, and still do. Only problems are : If you have to do multiple usuage that cow gets wise to the process... The other is the subQ aspect does not work woth a darn. The intermusclar work fine

I just bought the Medi-Dart crossbow 2 days ago. As for multiple useage, I hope my small isolated herd never encounters that problem. I didn't buy it for that purpose. I've delivered 4 shots with it so far, to one heifer calf. Neither this calf, nor the rest of the herd, have not shown the slightest concern as I approach them. And I've been giving the same calf 2 shots, at the same time, one immediately after the other. (vet told me 20cc, but 10cc max per injection site). I know cow/herds are different, so are the people that handle them, but I walk through my herd everyday, unless bad weather. So, for me, the crossbow works great. I drive up in the truck, identify the target animal, load meds and ready the crossbow, step out of the truck, and do my routine 'walk through the herd'.
I know this crossbow may not work for other folks situations.

Disadvantages as far as my limited experience allows are;
1. less range than most other types; I'm sure the dart will still stick and do it's job at greater ranges, but accuracy is poor past 30 feet
2. can be akward handling in and out of a truck, and probably somewhat on a 4 wheeler too, compared to other choices.

Advantages I've noted thus far:
1. Once you purchase this kit, you don't have to buy co2 nor 22 blanks, nor disposable supplies. Just your meds and your ready
2. 29cc is the max, and seems to be the largest capacity out there, although I haven't used any meds yet even need that much cap.
3. Seems to work fine with the thicker meds than other models
4. The only cleaning invloved is of the syringe and needle/valve assy. Which to me isn't anymore time consuming than cleaning .22 rifle after firing a blank.

I would like more range, and accuracy at those greater ranges, but so far I haven't needed it and don't expect to

Ouachita - And of course you are practcing BQA when giving the shots, correct?

dun":34gjudlo said:
Ouachita - And of course you are practcing BQA when giving the shots, correct?

Now I know why they were warning me about the guys from MO. With 30 THOUSAND plus post, what do you do in your 'free' time? :D

houstoncutter":183rw0dj said:

Hey houstoncutter,
subQ needles did not come with the kit. Sales guy told me the had them in stock, but I didn't buy any. After I read your post, I'm curious about what you have noted about them not working well. I can kinduv imagine, the way this self eject system works, it probably starts the ejection process, pushing the portion of the subQ needle out before all the meds are delivered???? Wasted meds????

Quachita, what i didnt like was that you had to make ashot close to the head and throat area for them to work.... I almost put out a calfs eye when he truned his head as I released the arrow

Augustacoop.com is where I bought mine. It was $329.00 with free shipping.
Works great. Best purchase I have made in years. A great time & work saver.
Check it out.

Are you talking about the paintball type gun that shoots balls of insecticide? They sell them at my local feed & seed, and also on valleyvet.com. Lady at the feed store said they are developing ways to get medications into the balls as well. Guess they can reformulate them to be topical? I would've thought it'd make them skittish, but she says everyone that's bought one loves them.

Latest posts