Cattle losses in the southeast.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
There's a lot of folks loosing calves in our part of the world. And the worst part is they don't seem to care enough to find out why. No one from our area has bothered to call anyone from the UGA Veterinary school to come out and figure out what the problem is. The person who has lost the most calves has the most cows, but he's also a graduate of UGA with an animal science degree. I figured it wasn't going to be pretty when we got our hay samples back. A few years ago when we had this same scenario play out it was the cows that were dying not just the calves.

There seems to be some type of correlation with the hurricane according to some . Alot of folks are telling of excessive animal loss and everyone I know in this area has had or is having respiratory issues. I will try and find the info I saw on it,

True Grit Farms said:
There's a lot of folks loosing calves in our part of the world. And the worst part is they don't seem to care enough to find out why. No one from our area has bothered to call anyone from the UGA Veterinary school to come out and figure out what the problem is. The person who has lost the most calves has the most cows, but he's also a graduate of UGA with an animal science degree. I figured it wasn't going to be pretty when we got our hay samples back. A few years ago when we had this same scenario play out it was the cows that were dying not just the calves.

http://www.wsfa.com/2019/02/04/cattlemen-monitoring-livestock-loss-following-hurricane-michael/

M-5 said:
True Grit Farms said:

http://www.wsfa.com/2019/02/04/cattlemen-monitoring-livestock-loss-following-hurricane-michael/
That's interesting maybe there's something to it?

There has been cattle losses in Kentucky. The double normal precipitation and extremes of temperatures, along with ground conditions that are causing falls and trapped calves, has contributed to high mortality.

theres alot of people around me, within 5 miles theres been about 15 animals die. the vet thinks because of the insane amount of rain the hay doesnt have any nutrition in it causing starvation. obviously not all hay is like this but i can see certain situations where it would be true. i think its more due to the mud and cattle having to lay on the cold wet ground

They lost over 1,700 dairy cows in a storm that blew through here last weekend. The loses were up in the Yakima valley. We were just on the fringe of the storm here. The word is up there it was a couple feet of snow, blowing 50 mph sustained with gusts to 80 mph, and temperatures in the teens. Thin skinned dairy cows don't handle that kind of weather. Most of the ranchers are in the middle of calving so I am certain there were some higher than normal loses there too.

MtnCows93 said:
i think its more due to the mud and cattle having to lay on the cold wet ground

You hit the nail on the head right there I think.

MtnCows93 said:
i think its more due to the mud and cattle having to lay on the cold wet ground

You hit the nail on the head right there I think.

Latest posts