cattle literature

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the cattle scene so I bought the book Storey's guide to raising beef cattle. I would reccommend all newbies even some veterans get this book it covers a little bit of everything. I have answered alot of my dumb questions with it. Sorry to advertise for them but I thought I would share I think every new cattle op should have one.

I also have that book and use it frequently. Because of that book, I now have colostrum frozen in case I have a mama that won't immediately feed her calf. My kids call it "the bible" because when anything comes up, I immediately go to that book for answers. I just recently have been getting advice on this forum. Lot of good advice for beginners, especially if you live in an area where it is hard to reach a vet by phone. Good luck.

Storey's guide is a good book. A few other good books to add to one's reference library would be The Stockman's Handbook, Beef cattle Science (both by Ensminger) as well as the Merck Manual.

Reference books sure do come in handy at times.

Katherine

Interesting how the book tells you not to feed grain because your cattle cant digest there hay if you do. I find this hard to believe when so many people add some grain in the winter or to help out a skinny cow. On the other hand she does want you to give grain to a heifer. I like the book but think she was confused the day she wrote about grain feeding.

Latest posts