Cattle Language

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
As noted in another post my wife and I (with some help from the Mother Cow) had our first calf born recently.

I am amazed by the new sounds that Mama Cow makes to communicate with her calf. It is a low hum that she modulates in different ways.
I am convinced that one variation means "get up and come along with me".... Another means "Stay close", etc.

Is this behavior common to most cattle?

Jon

That is common to all cows with good maternal instinct.

I am sure certain noises have different meanings, ever tried getting a young calf up if the cow told it to stay put and lie low?

We probably take it all for granted, having seen so much. Some cows are far better "communicators" than others. Deer are what amaze me not only with their noise communication but also their foot stomping and such.

Subtle tones are always good signs. Snorts are always signs of frustration from pactically all animals.

I believe that it is something God has put in them to just know what mama is saying. Otherwise, how would the calf know that a certain sound means a certain thing from the get go?

I've noticed this with other animals as well. It is really neat.

MissouriExile":1ysqoqif said:
As noted in another post my wife and I (with some help from the Mother Cow) had our first calf born recently.

I am amazed by the new sounds that Mama Cow makes to communicate with her calf. It is a low hum that she modulates in different ways.
I am convinced that one variation means "get up and come along with me".... Another means "Stay close", etc.

Is this behavior common to most cattle?

Jon

Different cows use different tones to communicate. We've had some heifers that bawled loudly at the calf. Others make the quiet hum, like you mention. I think they're imprinting their "voice" on the calf so it will recognize them when they're mixed back up with the herd. But whatever it is, it's neat.

That's the sweetest sound on Earth when you are covered in mud, manure, blood and afterbirth watching a calf switch its tail like a pump handle while it has its first meal.

Just wait until you find the mama at the water trough and no baby to be found anywhere.

They love to hide them out the first few days and the babies don't move from where mama left them until she comes back for them. The best site is watching them run and play in the pasture.

Mine seem to always have the calves during the worst weather too, and on Sunday after church, just before the fried chicken and dumplings are done :)

Haven't figured out the language but know when they are demanding that I get up and put out their breakfast.

The mother will just mooo at her calf to teach it the sound of her voice..the variance of the sound could mean different commands but I haven't noticed them.

The calf sure can call its mother....just twist an ear and make the calf holler and watch the whole herd come to the rescue.

Dmc

MissouriExile,

You are absolutely correct, it is amzing.
And if you learn to mimic momma's sounds you too can communicate with a new born.
I do it all the time when approaching a newborn, or trying to locate one that is hiding and they many times answer me and even come to me.

It also helps to condition them that humans are not a threat which makes them much easier to work with later on.
Just be careful of mamma as she may become offended and attack you.
IMO it sure makes bottle feeding a whole lot easier.

Some say I'm about 3 bricks short of a load for doing it but I still talk to my cows, bulls and calves in both my language and theirs all the time. And you know what, unlike with people, we have never gotten into an argument. ;-)
SL

grannysoo":3qqfqudd said:
I talk to my cows too. Quite a few of them talk back. :)

New calves and their moms are an amazing thing....

I got so good at cow-talk that when on the motorcycle, I can get the cows in the pastures by the road to pay attention by calling them. My wife thought I was crazy, but I told her to watch next time we went by some cows, and sure enough, they all looked up at me when I called to them. She now believes everything I tell her...

It is amazing to see how they communicate, I know I set up on the hill overlooking the pasture many afternoons after having a stressful day and it is extremely relaxing..... 8)

I always thought it was real funny when I met my now husband and he sang out this cattle call and all of them come running. I wanted him to teach it to me. It's sounds something like, "Wooooooo, Sec Air" It makes me laugh!

I don't know if I would call it a "language"; but if you unload a bull off of the truck and he announces his presence with that low loud bellow (even if they can't see him to know what just happened) you can see all the cows out in the fields react (and especially the bulls). Also don't work on a couple of calves, then think you can get the rest of the cows up. After those two calves were in the chute screaming, the rest of the crew aren't going (easily) anywhere near the barn, except for those calve's moms who ran a half mile to the barn and are trying to tear the place down. Bawling for the calves that left to go to the sale barn also sounds much different than when they are bawling for you to hurry up and fill the round bale rings back up.

hey,I like this post-I really think the mamas teach the calves all the cow wisdom they need in those first hums. Also my heifers we raised like to"touch noses" with me, sort of lean their head up carefully & touch, blow, touch. Means they accept me, I guess. If you watch, you can see a pattern & learn a little of what they say.Makes it easier to work them if you work With them. ;-)

Latest posts