cattle grubs?

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago noticed a small yellowish looking something hanging/attached on a cow in the brisket area and there was a small bump. About a week ago noticed what looked like bees on a cow patty along with a few flies. Then today the cattle, about 20 head, were running from place to place as if something was after them. Seemed like they settled down after they got into the pond.

Does this sound like the cattle grub/heel fly? If so what is the best control?

Thanks.

I'm sure they're still out there, but I haven't seen a cattle grub since Ivermectin gained widespread use, back in the mid to late 1980s.

Lucky_P said:
I'm sure they're still out there, but I haven't seen a cattle grub since Ivermectin gained widespread use, back in the mid to late 1980s.

Lucky_P,

Would you look at the "Hang on to your wormer" thread and also the "Human use of livestock wormer" thread and give us any thoughts you may have? If it proves to be true that Ivermectin is effective against the Covid 19 virus, how would you go about converting the dose to human use? With that said, I am just curious, I have no intention of trying it.

I do know that Ivermectin for humans is given in a pill form.

No idea. At this point in time, the research out of Australia is based on cell-culture work. I've seen nothing suggesting a human dose.
Ivermectin has been used in humans at least as long as in livestock... it's been used widely in campaigns to eradicate Guinea worm and 'River Blindness' due to Onchocerca spp. - as well as other, more mundane things.
Dermatologist recently prescribed an ivermectin ointment for my daughter's rosacea this year... evidently little Demodex mites (related to the ones that cause 'red mange' in dogs) are the cause... a few cents' worth of Ivomec was something like $150 for a little tube of ointment approved for 'human' use!

I've taken injectible Ivomec orally... back when the kids were little and kept 'gifting' me with pinworms - but I think Panacur/Safeguard works better on them. lol. Ivomec has kind of a 'hot' taste...

Latest posts