Cattle Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Just a thought. You might want to check and see if there is any regulations where you live. Here there are definite legal definitions of a fence. Sure not everyone follows them. BUT, if an animal gets out and does damage, or worse, is the cause of an accident, and the fences are not "LEGAL" you as the animal owner, are responsible. If there is a death it can get really bad. Have seen it happen. The interior fences are often electric.... but here in this area, perimeter fences are very often woven wire, or some have hi-tensile but it is a minimum of 6 strands, more often 8 with 2 or 3 that are hot. We don't use it as I stated above due to many past problems with coyotes. Also, the woven wire has helped to keep dogs out of the fields where we run our sheep. The high tensile does not keep in the Dall sheep we have. Hot or not. They will put their heads down and go under or through. It will not contain goats if they really want out but does seem to work for some interior fencing for rotational grazing. If you are just doing cattle then there are options. Since we have alot of subdivisions cropping up, the woven wire has turned into the best bet for us. Top barbed wire will keep most cattle from reaching over and bending it. Have often made the top hot to help convince them from wanting to reach.

kenny thomas said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:
6 wire High tensile, with 3 hot. I do not like barb wire

Is this for sheep and goats? Why so many wires. I use 2 strand with both hot for cattle.

Cow/calf operation. And mostly because I don't like chasing cattle in the middle of the night. Also my pasture is the only one for, well, ever really. If they get out they are gone. Busy roads, lots of neighbors, and the city.

This was a huge dairy area back in the 50s-2000 time frame. So there were tons of pastures and neighbors who could catch and hold them if they got out. Now its either row crop, or the farm sold to developers. Fairly large city is 3/4-1mi away.

kentuckyguy said:
A few questions for all that are using high tensile.

Are you using all wood posts? Most I see around here are built that way.

Anyone using the 1"-1 1/2" fiberglass post between the wood posts?

I do 30-35ft using 7ft 5-6" posts driven in. I use kencove poly droppers between the wooden posts. Corners are double H 8ft 6-7" posts driven in.

6 strand high tensile barb wire for perimeter. And well the same for cross fencing. Also doing a couple lots with woven wire to wean calfs in and for the kids sheep

kentuckyguy said:
A few questions for all that are using high tensile.

Are you using all wood posts? Most I see around here are built that way.

Anyone using the 1"-1 1/2" fiberglass post between the wood posts?
Treated post 7inch round for corners and gates. H braced corners. 6 inch line post. I space them every 25 feet supposed u could go more and put plastic post to support the wire but I don't like that in my opinion. I highly suggest driving the Post in with a post pounder. Buy one rent one hire one out. Much nicer finished product and much stronger. Make sure u get post below frost. Post I put in 12 years ago with a auger are all heaved up and look terrible. I like my fences to look and function well.

No one around here uses electric perimeter fences. That seems to a regional thing, some places that's all they do.
Here Ive been using 6 stand stay tuff 14guage high tensile. Tpost every 10' and a line post every 10 tpost. Probably overkill, but I put a single hot wire at 24" with Gallagher 12" offset insulator on my perimeter fences. These keeps the cows from pushing on it, and makes tapping in a crosswire very easy.

T & B farms said:
No one around here uses electric perimeter fences. That seems to a regional thing, some places that's all they do.
Here Ive been using 6 stand stay tuff 14guage high tensile. Tpost every 10' and a line post every 10 tpost. Probably overkill, but I put a single hot wire at 24" with Gallagher 12" offset insulator on my perimeter fences. These keeps the cows from pushing on it, and makes tapping in a crosswire very easy.

Ya, I don't know a single person who runs hot wire other than maybe a cross fence to make cattle polish off a pasture before they rotate.

5S Cattle said:
T & B farms said:

Ya, I don't know a single person who runs hot wire other than maybe a cross fence to make cattle polish off a pasture before they rotate.

14 gauge ataytuff is my barbwire of choice

You can burn a tank of gas trying to find a place around here with electric permiter fence.
When you finally find it it'll be a 10 acre "ranch"
With a barndomoniom. Cows , goats , chickens, donkeys and eieuo. Only thing they want have is grass.
Sidenote. My liability insurance goes up if I build electric fence. Not because it's dangerous. Because it only works when it works. It's not considered a permanent barrier.

I have all electric 2 strand cross fence. Any boundary fence that has cattle on the other side has 6 strand barb wire with electric on my side. My cattle never ever get out. They won't even graze close to the wire.

Fence, the laws may be different there but your only building what the owner wants. It's their responsibility to make sure it's enough. Your just a contractor. If they turn off the power it's not your fault.

Latest posts