Cattle Expereinces

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Experiences good and bad are good teachers. If a cattleperson has 4 or 5 bad experiences each year, I'd say they are doing quite well. They learn a hard lesson with each experience. After 10 years you are up to 50 or so hard lessons. Most mistakes come early on. Some mistakes can totally cripple your plans. You are always looking for the big things but little things can bite you hard.

Some things like drought and neighbors are beyond your control but you can plan for them. You never know when some fool is going to toss out a cigarette and burn your pastures and fences down.

There is no remedy or prescription that works for everything. A farm 10 miles away will have different soil and different terrain. They may also get rain when you don't. Different climates also dictate different reasoning. Differences in markets too.

I've got to say that I truly appreciate the good folks on this board who have shared some valued insight and methodology. I have employed some of it with good results. A shift in mindset can be good or bad.

I've got to say that I truly appreciate the good folks on this board who have shared some valued insight and methodology. I have employed some of it with good results.

Like quality BBQ SAUCE that I tell all my friends it's my recipe. :D :D Thanks again

I agree with both of you whole heartedly. My grandfather used to manage a dairy farm during some of the toughest years in the last century (Late 20's, 30's). I was too young to benefit from his experiences, but I've been told that he always said that the best school is the school of life and that no lesson is quicker learned than the one you initially fail. I've only had my place for about 2 years and I've made several mistakes, but the good folks here have prevented me from making more. I too appreicate all the kind words and insights. Thanks.

backhoeboogie":3qw14i7u said:
Experiences good and bad are good teachers. If a cattleperson has 4 or 5 bad experiences each year, I'd say they are doing quite well. They learn a hard lesson with each experience. After 10 years you are up to 50 or so hard lessons. Most mistakes come early on. Some mistakes can totally cripple your plans. You are always looking for the big things but little things can bite you hard.

Some things like drought and neighbors are beyond your control but you can plan for them. You never know when some fool is going to toss out a cigarette and burn your pastures and fences down.

There is no remedy or prescription that works for everything. A farm 10 miles away will have different soil and different terrain. They may also get rain when you don't. Different climates also dictate different reasoning. Differences in markets too.

I've got to say that I truly appreciate the good folks on this board who have shared some valued insight and methodology. I have employed some of it with good results. A shift in mindset can be good or bad.

Ditto

I would much rather learn something on these boards than go through a costly experience.

Think about all the people that are not on the boards that can learn from others.

Backhoeboogie, you stated that well.

I concur. Many helpful people on these boards and lots of good advice.

I'm glad I found this place.

Katherine

Somewhere I heard "In order to succeed, one must first plan to fail inexpensively".

Also, "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"

Over the years I have found these to be true. Just my 2 cents worth.

Caustic Burno":1ubu0i2q said:
I could write a book on the screw-ups I have made through the years.

Me too, sometimes I say I should write a book. How come it is like this, you have a problem, you weigh which decision to make, then make it, then afterwards, it seems like it was so easy to begin with, that you kind of kick yourself for not thinking of how to correct it sooner?

GMN

GMN":1wm9evlb said:
Caustic Burno":1wm9evlb said:

Me too, sometimes I say I should write a book. How come it is like this, you have a problem, you weigh which decision to make, then make it, then afterwards, it seems like it was so easy to begin with, that you kind of kick yourself for not thinking of how to correct it sooner?

GMN

Things that got me were like a galvanized gate. You get it wide enough to pull a trailer through but then the wind load on it here is awful. I knew I needed to replace that little thin pipe latch with a real pipe but didn't get around to it until the factory slide pipe was U shaped. All the cows had a jail break. Hours of round up time in the worst of weather. I don't use those types of gates anymore and all the existing ones have heavy wall pipe slides.

backhoeboogie":3h1b12kq said:
GMN":3h1b12kq said:
Caustic Burno":3h1b12kq said:

GMN

Things that got me were like a galvanized gate. You get it wide enough to pull a trailer through but then the wind load on it here is awful. I knew I needed to replace that little thin pipe latch with a real pipe but didn't get around to it until the factory slide pipe was U shaped. All the cows had a jail break. Hours of round up time in the worst of weather. I don't use those types of gates anymore and all the existing ones have heavy wall pipe slides.

I know those galvanized gates are bad, especially when windy, I have one in my barnyard and it is a pain, and the latch system is a joke.

GMN

GMN":13nnxapg said:
I know those galvanized gates are bad, especially when windy, I have one in my barnyard and it is a pain, and the latch system is a joke.

GMN

The latch system isn;t nearly as bad as the hinges. I have a numer of them and they're drag and wire gates now.

Caustic Burno":2i970lwo said:

I can not write a book but lately I seem to be writing a new page every day or two.

Yesterdays screw up was worming some cows with Ivomec pour on and it start pouring down rain within 15 minutes of turning them out to pasture. :(

Latest posts