Cattle equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I have no idea where to post this so I chose this area. We have some sales nearby coming up. What would you pay for a headgate, squeeze chute, palp cage setup? One has a scale with this combination and what is a scale worth? Also what would you pay for a 100 bushel creep feeder on wheels? I know a lot depends on condition but let's asume they are in good condition. I thinking of redoing my handling facilities, headgate, crowding area etc. Thanks

No way to know since we can't see the equipment and don't know what brand or model it is. Go look at the stuff early if you can to make sure its what you want and to give you more time to check it over. Price the same stuff new-amazing how many times people at auctions pay close to new price for equipment half worn out. Based on condition and your budget decide what % of new price you are willing to pay and go from there. If the bid reaches your limit,walk away.

Be careful at these auctions, I have saw a lot of new paint covering a lot of old rust. Be weary of anything with a new paintjob.

Chuck hit it square on the head. If it's in almost new condition and works I won;t pay more then 75%-85% of the new price. If it's used at all, it's almost alwasy going to take a llittle fixen to make it 100% right. And there are people that will pay full new price even on junk because they "save" by not paying sales tax.

dun

This past weekend I bought a Tilson( I can't really remebr) for $350. Had not had 100 head runed through but is 20 years old. Alittle axel greae and WD 40 and it ran like new. Replaced two side boards, 2 X 12. It had an auto catch head gate, side swing gate, squeez with side acces drops, tail gate. Weighs a ton and a half. I was told I got a great deal. Priced some Preiferts that I really liked and they ran from 2000 up and Powder River ran from 1550 up.

Scotty

check prices and know what you will give before you go, because you can get caught up in the moment and over spend. i have seen people give $20 for used wire corral panels and $5 for used metal fence post.

Dun- do farmers have to pay sales tax up there. In Okla. and Tex, we're exempt (on farm related purchases any way).

Subsoil":367imro1 said:
Dun- do farmers have to pay sales tax up there. In Okla. and Tex, we're exempt (on farm related purchases any way).

That's what makes it so stupid. Livestock equipment is tax exempt. Oops, now we'll have the "grant people" after us.

dun