cattle cube storage ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":7b9e1zuo said:
pricefarm":7b9e1zuo said:
M-5":7b9e1zuo said:
Gravity flow wagon is your best choice.

I use to keep grain in gravity wagons before I got a bin but the mice and rats would still get in even if I covered the top with plywood. They would chew a hole in the wood to get in.
Dang , you must have flying mice , I've never had issue with mice in gravity flow.

Me neither. And I don't even cover the tops of the ones inside the barn.. do have a barncat..and some warfarin flavored mice treats.

I contract them then let the feed store, store the cubes. Pick them up only as I need them. No more than about 10 bags at a time. But I do keep Bar Bait out all the time in the barn.

Barn cats! If your cats aren't doing the job, it's probably because you're feeding the cats. If they aren't keeping the mice/rat population down, you need new cats! We do feed cats vitamins and wormer, and they are de-flea'd. I hate fleas as much as rats!

greybeard":13lmil63 said:
Workinonit Farm":13lmil63 said:
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Absolutely!! I have yet to have a rodent chew through an old chest freezer.
Lucky you.
Someone must have already killed out all the chupacabra in your area.
:hide:

:shock: :shock:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":1gvy1h60 said:
I contract them then let the feed store, store the cubes. Pick them up only as I need them. No more than about 10 bags at a time. But I do keep Bar Bait out all the time in the barn.

With the amount your feeding. I agree, let the feed store, store them.
I can't make the savings for buying bulk cubes work out to pay for storage and handling cost.
The more you handle cubes the more get broke up. That equals waste. Just pick up enough to last until your next trip to town plus a few bags. Let the feed store worry about varmints and moisture.When the boys at the feed store start seeing how high they can throw em. Says something politely. Every time a bag lands hard, a little money just turned to dust.
I have been considering a small trip hopper. Maybe the wife could feed. :nod:
I've found Tsc feed to be consistently, old and poor quality.

fenceman":2ipty1gt said:
With the amount your feeding. I agree, let the feed store, store them.
I can't make the savings for buying bulk cubes work out to pay for storage and handling cost.
The more you handle cubes the more get broke up. That equals waste. Just pick up enough to last until your next trip to town plus a few bags. Let the feed store worry about varmints and moisture.When the boys at the feed store start seeing how high they can throw em. Says something politely. Every time a bag lands hard, a little money just turned to dust.
I have been considering a small trip hopper. Maybe the wife could feed. :nod:
I've found Tsc feed to be consistently, old and poor quality.

That's a fact.

TXMike":4wedbxrh said:
I always wait till tractor supply has a sale going on and buy a ton or 2 of cattle cubes for real cheap and put em up in my barn but the mice have been getting worse and worse and the traps and poison don't seem to be knocking em out either. I've been trying to think about something I could store this much feed in that's relatively inexpensive besides a bunch of 55 gallon drums to keep the mice out of it. Anybody else ran into this problem?

You can do as some have suggested about the feed store. Dayton Farm & Ranch always helped me out in that regard. Cannon's might do the same as well. Another option that I used was to go buy cubes at Southern Oil & Cotton in Richmond. I knows its a bit of a drive but well worth it The cubes are a 38 to 42% all natural for the same price you can buy em in the store for. Those at TSC are half the cubes these are and most time they have urea in then. I always left em on a trailer back up into the garage, plenty of rat bait out as well as the sound emmiters which we have had great success with. It all boils down to how many head you have.

Your on the "Hill" so ryegrass is a great option for you because you are most likely have sandy soils there. Ryegrass fed behind a hot wire makes for some very happy well trained animals. I think they now have some fat tubs that will help you control the "protein bypass" of ryegrass which makes it all the better. Good Luck

I just bought 31 bags of cubes from tractor supply for $210 and change. There was a couple busted bags that were still mostly full I got for half price plus coupons and bulk discounts. That comes out to about $6.75 a bag. The bags say all natural but who knows for sure.

Dayton farm and ranch has always has higher end prices to me, I wanna say I called them and they were $9 or more a bag. I cant remember an exact price. Cannons has really high prices but I'm pretty sure they charge for convenience. They're just right around the corner from my house so I go there pretty often just to grab something I don't felt like driving to town and don't mind spending a couple extra bucks on.

I've got a whole barn that sits empty most of the time so storing it isn't an issue it's just the mice that create the problem for me. I got an old deep freeze I put 7 bags in but I'd like to find a real big one to fit more in. That seems like the solution for me if I can find an old one for free or cheap.

I might try that southern oil. I wouldn't mind driving that far if i can get a couple deep freezers to store em in. Do they sell loose cubes in bulk or is it bagged? You seem pretty familiar with my area, is that the only place you know of around here that sells bulk cubes?

Yep I've got pretty sandy soil out here and the rye grass grows exceptionally well. I normally plant a couple acres. I just sprayed some today to get ready to plant when the next rain is forecast.

TXMike":mrtnj7xp said:
I just bought 31 bags of cubes from tractor supply for $210 and change. There was a couple busted bags that were still mostly full I got for half price plus coupons and bulk discounts. That comes out to about $6.75 a bag. The bags say all natural but who knows for sure.

Dayton farm and ranch has always has higher end prices to me, I wanna say I called them and they were $9 or more a bag. I cant remember an exact price. Cannons has really high prices but I'm pretty sure they charge for convenience. They're just right around the corner from my house so I go there pretty often just to grab something I don't felt like driving to town and don't mind spending a couple extra bucks on.

I've got a whole barn that sits empty most of the time so storing it isn't an issue it's just the mice that create the problem for me. I got an old deep freeze I put 7 bags in but I'd like to find a real big one to fit more in. That seems like the solution for me if I can find an old one for free or cheap.

I might try that southern oil. I wouldn't mind driving that far if i can get a couple deep freezers to store em in. Do they sell loose cubes in bulk or is it bagged? You seem pretty familiar with my area, is that the only place you know of around here that sells bulk cubes?

Yep I've got pretty sandy soil out here and the rye grass grows exceptionally well. I normally plant a couple acres. I just sprayed some today to get ready to plant when the next rain is forecast.

I think so on your question about bulk. Southern Oil and Cotton sells em back 50 lb sack or in bulk cube or meal. The meal is the best price. They do not let you use super bags. You have to have a trailer or truck that you can just drive up to the hopper. They will load your trailer if you want to buy em in the bag. What was the Crude protein and fat content on the TSC cubes. In the past they were about 12 %. Last time I priced some cubes for a buddy, its was 275$ a ton for a 38% cube. I don't remember the fat number

houstoncutter":3dl5jxsi said:
I think so on your question about bulk. Southern Oil and Cotton sells em back 50 lb sack or in bulk cube or meal. The meal is the best price. They do not let you use super bags. You have to have a trailer or truck that you can just drive up to the hopper. They will load your trailer if you want to buy em in the bag. What was the Crude protein and fat content on the TSC cubes. In the past they were about 12 %. Last time I priced some cubes for a buddy, its was 275$ a ton for a 38% cube. I don't remember the fat number

Those 38% cube are always the best. Most are 100% cottonseed meal and will actually test around 40-41% protein but they lower the guarantee because of the variability of the protein in CSM. TDN is great as is energy but fat content will be low because these new oil mills are so efficient at getting so much of the oil out of the whole cottonseed. AND you can feed half as much and cattle will get as much protein as the 20% cubes.

Latest posts