Cattle CHUTE!!

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
I've probably asked this before, but really trying to get this narrowed down finally

First of all. Preifert, Tarter, or any other farm store and/or poorly made unit is not an option for me.

Most of you have ton more cattle working experience than I do, so you won't hurt my feeling, but here's my info and specs needed.

Budget. Less than $5K at the time being. Can't put off replacing old chute any longer, IT"S TIME!

Needed for: constant AI work, standard cattle working, testing a handful of bulls a year, and clipping 5-10 animals per year for consignments, etc. Purebred cow/calf operation less than 30 head

Need to be "one man show/operation" friendly as possible.

Have looked hard at Palco, cowco, Pearson, and others. Really want a squeeze along with it being user friendly for clipping, but that's really where i'm getting the budget blown up or not checking enough boxes.

Thanks in adavance
Justin

I've got a Powder River value chute that's great for most sizes. You really need self-catch if you're working alone.

Preifert is poorly made? Ive got 2 SO4`s get along great with them, and im a one man show. but if your constant A I probably need to really move up, the Arrow is a really good chute, lots of features that will make it good running that many cattle, not in the 5k range, im sure there are others.

We have a For-Most, it seems to be well made and user friendly. It was a little over the $5000 range, but we went with an automatic head gate and palpation cage. Considering we used a Filson for over twenty years, and it was still in decent shape but showing it's age so for us a working chute is a real long term investment.

bse said:
Preifert is poorly made? Ive got 2 SO4`s get along great with them, and im a one man show. but if your constant A I probably need to really move up, the Arrow is a really good chute, lots of features that will make it good running that many cattle, not in the 5k range, im sure there are others.

Actually, Arrow recently released a new squeeze chute that looks just like the 86 series but fits the 5-6k range. Think it's called 74 series - you can read about it on their website.

torogmc81 said:
I've probably asked this before, but really trying to get this narrowed down finally

First of all. Preifert, Tarter, or any other farm store and/or poorly made unit is not an option for me.

Most of you have ton more cattle working experience than I do, so you won't hurt my feeling, but here's my info and specs needed.

Budget. Less than $5K at the time being. Can't put off replacing old chute any longer, IT"S TIME!

Needed for: constant AI work, standard cattle working, testing a handful of bulls a year, and clipping 5-10 animals per year for consignments, etc. Purebred cow/calf operation less than 30 head

Need to be "one man show/operation" friendly as possible.

Have looked hard at Palco, cowco, Pearson, and others. Really want a squeeze along with it being user friendly for clipping, but that's really where i'm getting the budget blown up or not checking enough boxes.

Thanks in adavance
Justin

you should probably check out arrowquip's new 74 series chute. Think it might be right up your alley with the movable head gate handle and built in vet cage. it's a little over 5k but i think it's worth it given the quality.

For-most 375 w/ 25A head gate & palp cage. Ours cost $6500, but it's portable. So you can knock some off if you want stationary. We've ran 200 pairs through ours twice a year for eleven years. No repairs yet.

Strong hold makes a manual head gate that has controls at the back of the chute. Not sure of the cost.

It can be hard to catch thick necked mature bulls in an automatic head gate.

Poorly built probably not the words I looking for. 2 longtime vets (doing some herdwork, semen testing, etc for me), one ET tech, and a handful of highly respected cattlemen gave me their "black list", Priefert first out of their mouth.

I know for most is popular but the ratcheting head gate along with the price stop me.
NO one has experience with Palco, Cowco, or Pearson. Maybe it's a regional thing, I don't know

I like the Arrow series. Here's one for ya though. The reps at Louisville were absolutely horrible. They were more worried about talking to each other. It was like pulling teeth to ask questions. Went back later and they had a whole different group there. Talked to one guy for a few minutes and he was mumbling and stumbling after every spec question I asked. I couldn't believe it. Seriously, it was like they had just hired some interns that morning.

We have a 17 year old Priefert and it's still going strong. Have no complaints. It's a fairly rugged build. We've used with cows, mature bulls and feeder calves. Plenty of adjustment and a self catch head gate you can run alone. Only repairs needed has been some oiling and touch up paint. If you are AI-ing I would recommend the palp cage addon. Around here they are about $4500-$4800.

We needed a chute for the same reasons you listed -- AI, testing bulls (including mature bulls), swing out sides to be able to clip, portable, head sweep, etc. Spec'd out a Pearson with all the add-ons and was around $10.5K on a manual. Wound up with a Lakeside LS350 http://www.lakesidelivestock.com/ls-350.html that doesn't need add-ons because all the features are integrated. Cost $11,000, but it is solid, weighs 3200#, tows like a dream on the highway and no hydraulic motors to fool with. I wanted to stay in that $5K area too, but figuring this chute will be around for 20 years, $500/year isn't too bad if it does exactly what I want and if we sell out before that, it will be worth some money in the auction.

I have a Real Tuff with palp cage and all the bells and whistles (except a brisket bar, I despise them!). Next to a Silencer, it's the best one I've ever worked cattle through/in. It is NOT around $5k though. Used value on it is more than that. The next best one I've used was a red one, Tarter I think, that was set up much like my Real Tuff. I think when it sold about 2 years ago on a local dispersal, it went for right around $5k. If I remember correctly, it was purchased used about 5 years prior to that for not much more, listed on Craigslist or Facebook.

I would recommend getting the best you can find in your budget, with a set-up you like. Working cattle isn't tons of fun, far less so with sub-par equipment. Also, I'm one of the few here that will agree with what you heard about Priefert.... been there, done that, never going back!

torogmc81 said:
Poorly built probably not the words I looking for. 2 longtime vets (doing some herdwork, semen testing, etc for me), one ET tech, and a handful of highly respected cattlemen gave me their "black list", Priefert first out of their mouth.

I know for most is popular but the ratcheting head gate along with the price stop me.
NO one has experience with Palco, Cowco, or Pearson. Maybe it's a regional thing, I don't know

I like the Arrow series. Here's one for ya though. The reps at Louisville were absolutely horrible. They were more worried about talking to each other. It was like pulling teeth to ask questions. Went back later and they had a whole different group there. Talked to one guy for a few minutes and he was mumbling and stumbling after every spec question I asked. I couldn't believe it. Seriously, it was like they had just hired some interns that morning.

Hi torogmc81, we apologize for your experience at our trade show booth. If we may ask - what day did you drop by the Arrowquip booth at the Louisville show? We have 2 locations at the show and would like to look into this issue further. We want to ensure that our reps are always on their a-game at shows! Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks :) -AOL

Boot Jack Bulls said:
I have a Real Tuff with palp cage and all the bells and whistles (except a brisket bar, I despise them!). Next to a Silencer, it's the best one I've ever worked cattle through/in. It is NOT around $5k though. Used value on it is more than that. The next best one I've used was a red one, Tarter I think, that was set up much like my Real Tuff. I think when it sold about 2 years ago on a local dispersal, it went for right around $5k. If I remember correctly, it was purchased used about 5 years prior to that for not much more, listed on Craigslist or Facebook.

I would recommend getting the best you can find in your budget, with a set-up you like. Working cattle isn't tons of fun, far less so with sub-par equipment. Also, I'm one of the few here that will agree with what you heard about Priefert.... been there, done that, never going back!
Also have a Real Tuff, except I always thought a brisket bar would be really nice. After running cows through one time, we pulled the brisket bar out and it has sat in the corner ever since. Cows just didn't like walking over it. Great chute though, great access to all parts of an animal. Only thing I don't like is adjusting headgate sizes with all the pins, always say we should mark it when it is set right, but never do so first few head through take a bit. Once it is set though, the auto headgate is awesome. We had both an automatic and manual Foremost and the Real Tuff is much nicer than either of them in my opinion.

Hey, toro
I've got just what you're looking for.
Have a fairly new (<10 yrs, for sure) Stampede Steel chute (I think it's a 2K/Rancher's Choice manual model?) made before WW bought 'em out, in very good condition - kinda like this one:
https://ackermansonline.com/dist/wwstampedesteelmanualandhydraulicchutes.html
Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbfTZrFklQ

Manual operation- self-catch(never used it as one - and I've never seen a 'self-catch' that I trusted to work) headgate , or headgate can be operated from front or back, brisket bar & neck extenders on headgate; neck access doors on both sides.
Parallel side-to-side squeeze, 'double-dutch' side doors with 'ratchets' - can exit left or right side,  - both top &/or bottom open fully - best one I've ever worked with so far as milking or getting a calf started on a teat - would allow good access for grooming, branding, standing C-section, etc., neck extenders and brisket bar, neck access doors on both sides.
Built-in palpation/AI doors on both sides(Deluxe 2K model) - not an add-on cage.  
It's a heavy sucker; we didn't buy the transport trolley, as it's set up on concrete pad and we had no need to move it around.
Also have weigh bars and digital scale if interested

Dispersed our cow herd last fall, and don't need it any more... PM me.

I wouldn't trade my self catch Pearson for anything, except a self catch pearson with a side gate. I know that doesn't answer your question. We don't try to catch the mature bulls in the headgate, can't think of a reason to do so.

Arrowquip Chutes said:
torogmc81 said:

Hi torogmc81, we apologize for your experience at our trade show booth. If we may ask - what day did you drop by the Arrowquip booth at the Louisville show? We have 2 locations at the show and would like to look into this issue further. We want to ensure that our reps are always on their a-game at shows! Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks :) -AOL

You're welcome to our forum to discuss topics. No advertising.

Latest posts