cattle check mishap

Help Support CattleToday:

Weaver

Reaction score
We sold the last load of fat cattle to National Beef Packing in Dodge City, Kansas. They split the checks and pay you the first based on their live weight and then the second check comes after the cattle are killed and graded. Our cattle graded real well and i was expecting a fairly good sized second check, but upon opening the second check, it was written for five times the amount i was expecting. So i decided to call them instead of taking the money and hoping they didn't notice, and sure enough they had made a mistake. My mom says i will feel better about myself because it was the right thing to do, but right now I have my doubts. I think the money sounded real good too.

Sooner or later, probably sooner, they would have asked for their extra money back. You did the right thing. What goes around comes around.

Ya, I figured whatever i bought with the money would probaly break and cause me lots of headaches. At least thats what im trying to think as i send the $20k plus dollar check back.

You definitely did the right thing, remember a little thing called karma. ;-)

Lets hope that in the near future if one receives a large amount it will not be a clerical error . :cowboy:

Weaver":2ecijqhz said:
We sold the last load of fat cattle to National Beef Packing in Dodge City, Kansas. They split the checks and pay you the first based on their live weight and then the second check comes after the cattle are killed and graded. Our cattle graded real well and i was expecting a fairly good sized second check, but upon opening the second check, it was written for five times the amount i was expecting. So i decided to call them instead of taking the money and hoping they didn't notice, and sure enough they had made a mistake. My mom says i will feel better about myself because it was the right thing to do, but right now I have my doubts. I think the money sounded real good too.

I have high respects for someone who operates as you just did!!!

Weaver":1soe1hhm said:

Good for you. When it's all said and done, your integrity and your reputation is what really matters in any business.

Weaver-Bravo for you. Money is only one way to keep score in life. Integrity and honesty score you more points in the long run. Good Job. Congratulations to you.

You did right. You can't go wrong by doing right. As said, money isn't everything but your word and honor is. I can guarantee you that if you continue living with high moral standards you will be blessed in the long run and you won't just be another flash in the pan. :tiphat:

Doing the right thing, whether someone knows you did, or not, will determine the type person you are. Not the "stuff" you can buy.

Weaver, I have found in these situations that it is better to take care of these kinds of things very quickly .
I can think of many times in my life that this type of thing has happened and the quicker I clear it up the better . It does not matter if it's a big company, right is right . So many times I've heard people that are otherwise honest say I'll take care of it tomorrow, but tomorrow never gets here . By the way your mother is a wise woman .

Larry

Weaver; as an old sob in my community and most think of me as that, they will say he will not cheat you you in a deal. I am sorta proud to be thought of in that respect. I have found fair dealing is less mental strain and beside that you get more sleep. You did right and besides every one here would not be afraid to buy a bull from you knowing what you did.

hillrancher":bjgb1lrz said:
Weaver; as an old sob in my community and most think of me as that, they will say he will not cheat you you in a deal. I am sorta proud to be thought of in that respect. I have found fair dealing is less mental strain and beside that you get more sleep. You did right and besides every one here would not be afraid to buy a bull from you knowing what you did.

I was thinking the same thing. Your reputation will precede you in the future. It is a lot less stressful when you run on truth cause you always got to be on your toes when you stray from the truth. Its not the lie that will get you - its the re-lie.

you did the right thing by sending the check back.a man only has a few things in this life.an they are his honesty an his word.if you loose those your not much of a man.

Would you have called them if the check was 1/5th of what you expected?
You done good. :clap:

hrbelgians":3mobrfya said:
Weaver":3mobrfya said:

I have high respects for someone who operates as you just did!!!

That goes for me, too. You shouldn't ever regret being honest.

SSSIIGH--Ain't it awful to have a honest bone or two..... Good for you, :tiphat: I hope I'da done the same thing.
Yeah,I know I wouda done it to..

Latest posts