Cattle Caller

Help Support CattleToday:

cloone

Reaction score
Where can I purchase a cattle caller. Recently saw some guys calling stock with what they called a distress horn.Sounded like a conventional moooooooo... but it worked. Any ideas

I didn't realize they made such a thing. I learned how to call the cows from my dad. I don't really know if it makes much difference what kind of sound you make as long as the cows can associate it with food. Try hollering something out while you are putting hay or something out for them. Once they associate that sound with food, it won't matter if you are actually feeding or not, they will come. We still use this method when moving cattle between pastures. Drive to the top of the hill and yell "Soooook cows" and then take off towards the gate, they come running and somtimes pass you up once they figure out they are going to fresh pasture.

Yeap toot the horn a couple times and holler "Here Girls!!!" mine come runnin. Can lead mine around with a bag of tater chips hehe

anyone notice he posted this same question in several places?

I used to use a train whistle. It carries further than my voice. But now they come to the ATV when it approaches the barn.

They seem to hear (IMHO) high piched noises better.

I once heard about a feller in Japan that trained his lead cow to come in when the pager strapped to her neck went off. Talk about calling the cows... :lol:

We call ours with the "wooooo cow, sook sook" too...

:shock: Bad thing about it: My husband's brother (note: not claimed as my brother-in-law) had to call the cows one day, and he said, "Wooo, c'mon girls, suck suck"

His neighbors have avoided him since :oops:

Here Bosss...works for us....the rattle of a grain pail works wonders too. Our cows usually are waiting for us on a hill by our window and let us know when we sleep late...the steers are already lined up at the feed bunks by the time the cows start bellering.
DMc

I do the "hey yup" for a call. Had the neighbor girl helping round cattle a couple years ago, trying to copy me, she is yelling "Hiccup".Come boss seems to ba a fav, or the bucket rattle.

I used to use an old siren, but now when they see my red pickup they come a running. :cboy:

Years ago we hunted on a ranch that was all straight up and straight down and covred with brush. Once a week the owner would grind to a ridge with his old whiny engined/transmission truck. Took him about an hour to crawl to the top. This was a 1500 acre area and by the time he got to the top, most of the cows had gathered at the feed bunks on top. After many years of using that old truck it finally gave up the ghost and he got a new one that wasn;t noisy. He had to train the cows all over again and used a siren as he drove to get them headed to the top. They had become so trained to that old truck sound that it was hard to get them to respond to the new sound.

dun

Latest posts