Cattle bloat

Help Support CattleToday:

R Lance

Reaction score
Just lost a cow suspect bloat though I've never had a problem with it. Neighbor called said he saw a cow down in my field when I got there 5 min later cow had just died was extremely bloated. Cow had shown no signs of problem previously.

We just ended a 48 days of rain in a row 2 days ago, feed in barn with pasture avaialble. Just opened field gate yesterday, that cow died in to allow more graze. Field was grass no or very little legumes

Sorry for your loss.

Lush, fast growing spring grass is prime setting for bloat. IMO- make sure cattle are allowed to fill with dry hay before turning into fresh green grass. Also keeping dry hay available on pasture can help this situation. Also bloatgard blocks. They need to be put with cattle 3-4 days prior to turn out to get it in their system.

BTW-when I find one bloated & still alive, I squirt 60-120 cc of Ivory liquid down their throat from a syringe with no needle. This usually get the bloat down in about 30 minutes. If the animal is already in respiratory distress, stabbing the rumen on the left side just in front of the hip will relieve the pressure. Due to possible complications, infection, etc, this should be a method of last resort. JMO

Good luck & best wishes

Brock

Texas PaPaw":18vb2vws said:
BTW-when I find one bloated & still alive, I squirt 60-120 cc of Ivory liquid down their throat from a syringe with no needle. This usually get the bloat down in about 30 minutes.

Brock

Be that dishwashing soap or some kind of liquid hand soap?

Had some animals die in the feedlot due to bloat vet said to put a box of Tide laundry soap per load of feed. It worked

TK

TK Ranch":3d7l57oe said:
Had some animals die in the feedlot due to bloat vet said to put a box of Tide laundry soap per load of feed. It worked

TK
Texas PaPaw":3d7l57oe said:
when I find one bloated & still alive, I squirt 60-120 cc of Ivory liquid down their throat from a syringe with no needle.

Can you explain this and why it works please??

Gliderider":5r0m8c7h said:
TK Ranch":5r0m8c7h said:

TK
Texas PaPaw":5r0m8c7h said:
when I find one bloated & still alive, I squirt 60-120 cc of Ivory liquid down their throat from a syringe with no needle.

Can you explain this and why it works please??

Lowers the surface tension/keeps down foam and froth.

Rookie-Yes it is liquid dishwashing detergent. Most detergents should work, probably best to avoid the highly scented ones.

Gliderider-Gas is formed in the rumen during the digestive process, and normally discharged by belching. If the digestion is too rapid, such as eating highly digestible lush grass, legumes or starch with little or no roughage, the gas can become entraped in a foam which is unable to be released by belching. When adequate hay or other roughage is present in the rumen, it is more difficult for the foam to form. Roughage=lots of little foam bubble busters. Detergents work by reducing the surface tension of the foam bubbles which allows the foam to break up and the gas is eliminated by belching.

Probably made this as clear as mud. Bottom line is detergents do the job on bloat. Have been told that Bloatgard & other bloat preventives/treatments are basicly high priced detergent.

Good luck & best regards

Brock

TK Ranch":20guwf04 said:

TK

Per ton? Or are you mixing larger loads?

Texas PaPaw":31diwjiy said:
Gliderider-Gas is formed in the rumen during the digestive process, and normally discharged by belching. If the digestion is too rapid, such as eating highly digestible lush grass, legumes or starch with little or no roughage, the gas can become entraped in a foam which is unable to be released by belching. When adequate hay or other roughage is present in the rumen, it is more difficult for the foam to form. Roughage=lots of little foam bubble busters. Detergents work by reducing the surface tension of the foam bubbles which allows the foam to break up and the gas is eliminated by belching.

Probably made this as clear as mud. Bottom line is detergents do the job on bloat. Have been told that Bloatgard & other bloat preventives/treatments are basicly high priced detergent.

Good luck & best regards

Brock

Thanks it was perfectly clear. :D I had no idea detergent would help bloat. You learn something new everyday.

Detergents/soaps and puncturing the cow will all work. If you are in a bind, and the cow is about to die, I'd puncture. There are actually tools which look like ice picks, but have a exit for the gas that can be used. The only problem is that you must enter the rumen or your doing no good. Oh, don't be looking directly act it when you do, you won't like the smell. Detergents are good when the cow is bloated, but not close to death, from my experience.

Does no one use bloat blocks, or minerals with the anti-bloat additives? I put bloat blocks out in spring (or earlier if grazing ryegrass heavily), and have never had one case; on any of my cows or my dad's place (about 20 years now)

Im new around here. Just found this forum few days ago. Love it. Raise alot of bucket calves . Had 2 bloated . Let gas off w tube for 2 days. tried other things to keep them from bloating,didnt work. found out about soap on here. Used 60cc on 50 day old calves. worked perfect,no more bloat. good idea hillside ;-) ;-)

I wouldn't think you could use it as a mix in feed. Probably hard to get them to eat it free choice. But as a drench, they don't have much choice.

We always have the small bottles of Bloat Guard handy. Haven't had to stick one yet.. knock on wood. If they routinely bloat, you can use a powdered product Pfizer carries to top dress your grain.

TK Ranch":xp9c35u9 said:

TK
=====
TK...,
Box laundry soap....(how big?) in load of feed...(How much feed?). They eat it with the soap powder in the feed?

Does anyone keep the bloat blocks or Tide in the feed out all summer long or only in the spring? Seems the loose mineral should come with a bloat preventive also. I guess that would cut the extra profit the companies made on the blocks selling them seperately.
Chuckie

Latest posts