CATTLE AT LARGE TICKET-COSTS MORE THAN THE COW

Help Support CattleToday:

Something to read on a rainy day.

http://www.texascattleraisers.org/lives ... _tscra.asp

Look at Sec 143.102

I suggest,
Ask for a jury trial, That is your right to have one.
The key word is "KNOWINGLY"
Use this word when you argue the case.
Take a picture of the fence where the cow broke it down. Take another picture of the fence intact.
Show pictures and explain that you did not knowingly allow the cow to do this, as you can see from the picture I keep my fence in good shape and in repair.

Just my $.02

In my state a cow is deemed to have "A mind of her own", and the landowner is not liable for cows getting out if it hasn't occured often, or the landowner did not "Turn Her Out".

In fact, if a cow gets hit on the highway, the driver can be responsible for hitting the cow. Has happened bunches of times here.

State agencies are looking for money now. Tickets of all kinds are a good source of income.

Here in colorado it is a free roam state. They have had cattle on the hi ways at stockshow and even little yellow jacket was running down the interstate in pueblo last year. This state is free roam you build fences to keep things out not in. My aunt hit a horse on the hi way and had to pay for the damage to the horse and to her car. So I would make sure to know the laws before I did anything.

TheBullLady":38ve0w3l said:
Just curious.. what part of Texas? I've never heard of that law either!

I am curious too. I could understand something like this if cows wee getting out routinely and nothing was being done to fix fences. However, cars hit fences and drive off, wild fires take them out, trespassers leave gates open - anything can happen.

In the state of Texas You have to be proved grossly negligent to be in trouble. That is defined as your cows are habitally on the road. The first offense is not that. Our place fronts on a 4 Lane divided highway and I have had the local law put my cattle back in and not say anything.

We are in between Houston & Galveston. I am grateful that no accident occured. Since this is the first time that this has happened I thought the ticket was a little much, especially X2 when one was a little calf. I will request a court date and see if I can't get spared a few dollars. I will let you know the results.
Thanks for all the input...

Dusty Britches":3uyq6qyn said:
dun":3uyq6qyn said:
I think the way Texas law works is if someone were to hit the cow and was killed there is now a law that you can be charged.
Thats the way it is around here, I was sure years ago to purchase a farm policy under my house insurance. I would definately suggest it to anybody who has livestock who lives in a state that has laws like this. Personally, I think sooner or later no matter how nice a fence you have someone at sometime is going to get out of it somehow. I've had my horses get out and run down the middle of the paved road six head strong....my neighbor called me at work and I left to come home and catch them. That was years ago, but I'll never forget it :shock:

KATHYWEEKS":20ulpxv7 said:
We are in between Houston & Galveston. I am grateful that no accident occured. Since this is the first time that this has happened I thought the ticket was a little much, especially X2 when one was a little calf. I will request a court date and see if I can't get spared a few dollars. I will let you know the results.
Thanks for all the input...

Don't forget to take photos of repairs and any fencing receipts/invoices to court with you.

Photo's of the offending cattle, especially if the calf is cute and the Judge has a cuteness affliction. :lol:

And I think we all would like to hear how you make out.

That's a bunch of bull crap. Anyone's cows can get out, as a matter of fact if you have them they will get out some time or another. A sheriff's deputy woke me up the other night to tell me that I had two bulls out on the road in front of my house. You should be able to get that thrown out of court.

Hope they never get that law up here...Here, except for the interstates the cow has as much right (or in some areas more) as the vehicle- the road barrow pits are considered open range, and even in the herd district areas the law has to prove that the owner was notified and that that animal was out for over 48 hours before they can charge you with trespassing on highway right of way.....

Here they have to have 3 complaints from the nieghbors before they can give you a ticket. And by the time there have been 3 complaints the cows have probably been out 15 times. there are some fairly big areas of the state that are open range. Cows have the right of way.

I have had some of my cows "at large" a couple of times.but the police just called us and we when out got them back in they even helped us.where in texas do you live?

Since it was a city cop that issued the ticket you need to check out the city ordinances about livestock. An 'animal at large' citation seems more like it's set up to cite dog owners when their dog is running loose. An over zealous cop may have wrongly used it for your cattle.

Sounds like the officer was having a bad day or just a geek. Our officers are always helpful, even block traffic when we move them across the big road. Contrary to their objections, we have given them steaks in appreciation.

First offense, I would go and try to fight it. When the judge hears the story he will probably reduce or drop those charges. Just tell em you fixed up the fence. :)

I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket in our area, mine have been on the highway a number of times. I think though if yo don't have a legal fence(even have a RCW for it) that you could be ticketed.

Bobg

my dad allways told me to watch out for any cop with a tube of preparation H sticking out of his pocket :D

In this part of Washington, if your animal ( cow, horse, dog, or cat for that matter) is out and causes an accident you are liable for any dammages. Sis in law found that out last june. Her dog caused a motorcycle accident. Even though there is not a leash law it still cost her. A log truck hit a horse a while back. the driver was alright, truck totaled, and a horse owner with a dead horse and a new log truck payment.

Chris H":29swtr0e said:
Since it was a city cop that issued the ticket you need to check out the city ordinances about livestock. An 'animal at large' citation seems more like it's set up to cite dog owners when their dog is running loose. An over zealous cop may have wrongly used it for your cattle.

Or you live in town or too close to town... I know some towns that have passed cattle and horse ordinances because they had too many grazing on the streets...Or wanted to get the guy that stabled his horse in his back yard to get it out of town....Now those are reasonable.....

Latest posts