Catching a 300lb calf

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Besides putting it in the shoot what are some other ways to give 300lb calf a shot? When are they to big to catch by hand?

you can throw a 300 lber, little girls from Texas do it all the time. Get you two good ol boys, one to grab the tail, one to throw him and sit on his neck, and somebody to give the shot.

denoginnizer":2cmwp06w said:
Besides putting it in the shoot what are some other ways to give 300lb calf a shot? When are they to big to catch by hand?

From an earlier post.

Wewild":2cmwp06w said:
If you can't get her up....

-rope her from the back of a truck.. tie a knot in such a way that the slip knot will stop on it before choking the cow
-tie her off to the ball
-with another rope walk up behind her and tie off back legs and put her on the ground
-pull calf

Procedure requires 2 people and the vehicle can suffer damage though I've never had it happen.

If for some reason you can't tie her off to ball just let her go and run over rope with tire. Sometimes this is safer. Use a good length of rope say 20'.

Change pull calf to give shot.

Wewild":33ceuk9t said:
From an earlier post.

Wewild":33ceuk9t said:
If you can't get her up....

-rope her from the back of a truck..
-tie her off to the ball
-with another rope walk up behind her and tie off back legs and put her on the ground
-pull calf

Procedure requires 2 people

Change pull calf to give shot.
As above, also.....
Change truck to trusty mount (horse).
Change ball to saddlehorn.
May leave the rest unchanged, or if you have a buddy with a trusty mount and a rope, change walk to ride.

denoginnizer":bd3vyqfu said:
They are too big to catch by hand when you can't handle them.

Rope it and flank it down.
If too big to flank, leg it down.
If too big to leg, dog it down.
If too big to dog, get a second rope and cast it.

Make sure yu have help to hold while you give it the shot. Better to have two holders, fore and aft. You really need a picture as to how to hold them so they can't jump around too much.

If you need further directions for these procedures, pm me and I will try to explain.

Beefy":3n477ngt said:
you can throw a 300 lber, little girls from Texas do it all the time. Get you two good ol boys, one to grab the tail, one to throw him and sit on his neck, and somebody to give the shot.

do that with 250pound pigs all the time! :cboy:

Try squeezing her between a cattle panel and a gate. Place the cattle panel across the gate opening and wire it to either side (good). Either coaks her up into the V with feed (easier), or rope her and use the post the gate is hinged as your "horn" to wrap and pull her into it. Close the gate. The calve will be pinched between the gate and cattle panel, but the cattle panel will have enough give to squeeze the calf in. Now you have access to both sides of the calf and can even get a halter on it if you nedd to control her more. I have used this successfully with a 12' gate opening. A 10' opening may still be large enough to provide enough slack in the panel. If you have a trailer try squeezing it in a trailer.

I have already pinched them behind a gate and tied them to a post , but once you have a chute you'll never want to go thru that again.

300lbs isn't too big to rope and snub, or run behind a panel. When they get 5-600lbs and upwards I start looking for easier ways to catch them. Not to say that I haven't roped and snubbed 1200lb animals, but there are easier ways to get the job done.

A lot of it also depends on how comfortable your animals are at being in close proximity to you - the ones that run when you're on the other end of a ten acre pasture are not good canidates for being roped. :lol:

denoginnizer":mgbwfswk said:

:stop: BS Flag if you don't the calf is to big for you to handle by hand you don't need to be messing with them.

I have one of those Bow + Arrow stock doctors. I used that a few times the first year I was here to treat pinkeye. Just load up the syringe, aim and shoot. Just call me Hiawatha :lol:

if you dont have a hosrse and you rope them on foot make sure you have them in the lot first. 300# is big enough that you wil have your work cut out for you hanging on before you get it snubbed and if you fall it is liable to get away. might be pretty embarassing for your calf to be wearing your lariat around the pasture for the next few weeks.

I agree! I don't want anyone else watching when I do someting dumb! :lol: I will also say that roping the calf from horseback would be your best bet *IF* you can't get them into a pen/chute setup. And, yes, we have thrown larger calves then 300 lbs. It takes 3 of us to doctor one that size. Head end, Heel end (by far the most dangerous end!) and head doctorer (me) :lol:

sidney411":1rk5g7kd said:
I agree! I don't want anyone else watching when I do someting dumb! :lol: I will also say that roping the calf from horseback would be your best bet *IF* you can't get them into a pen/chute setup. And, yes, we have thrown larger calves then 300 lbs. It takes 3 of us to doctor one that size. Head end, Heel end (by far the most dangerous end!) and head doctorer (me) :lol:

Why is it when a cow does something to make you look dumb, it's always in the front pasture when the vet or feedtruck is going by so they can tell everybody in the county?

For me it's always when there is a darn cute cowboy riding by :lol: I look up for a second to try to catch his eye and BAMM someone knocks me on my bum or off my horse :lol:

Latest posts