CASEOUS LYMPHADENITIS (CL) in cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I'm in the process of starting a small goat herd and have been doing my best to research everything I can about goats. For goats and sheep a major health concern is CASEOUS LYMPHADENITIS, or CL, which appears to be an untreatable disease once it hits a goat or sheep herd. My concern is this: I now have a decent size herd of cattle and Arabian horses as well. The goat herd is just an experiment of sorts; but if they got CL and transmitted it to my cattle or horses, it would be a severe problem. Does anyone know any facts about this disease and it's transmission to cattle or horses? I'm having a hard time finding definitive information on the web. I'll put a call in to my vet, but thought I'd ask on the board as well.

cypressfarms":vecah8d9 said:
I'm in the process of starting a small goat herd and have been doing my best to research everything I can about goats. For goats and sheep a major health concern is CASEOUS LYMPHADENITIS, or CL, which appears to be an untreatable disease once it hits a goat or sheep herd. My concern is this: I now have a decent size herd of cattle and Arabian horses as well. The goat herd is just an experiment of sorts; but if they got CL and transmitted it to my cattle or horses, it would be a severe problem. Does anyone know any facts about this disease and it's transmission to cattle or horses? I'm having a hard time finding definitive information on the web. I'll put a call in to my vet, but thought I'd ask on the board as well.

I know goats can spread johnes to cattle as well. From what I have read this caseous lymphadenitis should not affect cattle. However, I would consult with the vet to be on the safe side which I see you have already done.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1g0ulgf3 said:
cypressfarms":1g0ulgf3 said:

I know goats can spread johnes to cattle as well. From what I have read this caseous lymphadenitis should not affect cattle. However, I would consult with the vet to be on the safe side which I see you have already done.
S & W----What's your Breed ????

talldog":3qq2evft said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":3qq2evft said:
cypressfarms":3qq2evft said:

S & W----What's your Breed ????

SImmental and yours?

I have goats, and I have had experiences with CL. I'll have to look it up in my vet manual, but have never heard of CL in cattle. Now, CL can be transmitted to humans, although my vet has stabbed himself with a needle after draining a CL wound, and I've gotten it on me and neither of us has contracted anything.

As far as CL itself goes, most goat farmers would never admit having it if at all possible. For years, the general advice was to never buy from a farm that has had CL. Now that goats are everywhere, CL is everywhere. I purchased goats from the top boer goat herd in the nation when they were dispersing a couple of years ago, and they had CL in their herd. CL isn't really as bad as it sounds. THey'll get a big pus filled spot usually between their shoulder and jaw. Once it gets to a certain size, it will burst which spreads the CL. The bulge on their neck, jaw, shoulder isn't painful and they don't seem to mind it. Some goats will get multiple knots and should be culled, but some will only get one and go back to the way they were, and some will be exposed to it and never get a knot. The biggest problem I"ve seen with CL is it appears in herds that are stressed, confined, or are together alot like at a feed trough or barn.

brandonm_13":5v0x78a4 said:
I have goats, and I have had experiences with CL. I'll have to look it up in my vet manual, but have never heard of CL in cattle. Now, CL can be transmitted to humans, although my vet has stabbed himself with a needle after draining a CL wound, and I've gotten it on me and neither of us has contracted anything.

As far as CL itself goes, most goat farmers would never admit having it if at all possible. For years, the general advice was to never buy from a farm that has had CL. Now that goats are everywhere, CL is everywhere. I purchased goats from the top boer goat herd in the nation when they were dispersing a couple of years ago, and they had CL in their herd. CL isn't really as bad as it sounds. THey'll get a big pus filled spot usually between their shoulder and jaw. Once it gets to a certain size, it will burst which spreads the CL. The bulge on their neck, jaw, shoulder isn't painful and they don't seem to mind it. Some goats will get multiple knots and should be culled, but some will only get one and go back to the way they were, and some will be exposed to it and never get a knot. The biggest problem I"ve seen with CL is it appears in herds that are stressed, confined, or are together alot like at a feed trough or barn.
When we did the goat dairy thing it wasn;t considred as evil a thing as it is now. The neighbor shoots the lump with formaldehyde or formalyne or something and they don;t come back. We used to lance them and turn them sort of inside out and hose them down liberily with straight iodine (liquid knife). As it would close up we would squirt some in a couple of more times and that would be the end of it.

cypressfarms":1uvogh4c said:
For goats and sheep a major health concern is CASEOUS LYMPHADENITIS, or CL, which appears to be an untreatable disease once it hits a goat or sheep herd. My concern is this: I now have a decent size herd of cattle and Arabian horses as well. The goat herd is just an experiment of sorts; but if they got CL and transmitted it to my cattle or horses, it would be a severe problem. Does anyone know any facts about this disease and it's transmission to cattle or horses? I'm having a hard time finding definitive information on the web. I'll put a call in to my vet, but thought I'd ask on the board as well.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /10802.htm

Latest posts